Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EC79CCA2-FB1A-444B-88B4-56E84926D5AD.jpeg

Just knocked out my interpretation of a gerstner tool box to store my Starrett metal working tools. The box is quarter sawn white oak salvaged from a highway project. The drawers feature half blind finger joints as they are to narrow to get more than about one dovetail in them. The walnut was cut a few years ago on a neighbors ranch when he caught some folks trying to steal an old walnut. The lid has Purple Heart banding and the panel has a cherry center panel. The panel hardware was machined from eBay drops in stainless steel, brass and phosphor bronze. Of course many of my woodworking tools beat the Starrett tools into the box. So I am building a second larger box for them now. The front and back top rails are finger jointed while the bottom is dovetailed into the sides. The drawer boxes are maple with Baltic birch bottoms. The Baltic birch was drop from the sushi Rama job we did a couple of years ago. The only thing remaining is the lid hardware and front lock. Looking for brass locks and latches now. I got some latches but turns out they are steel stampings with a thin brass plate. The only locks I have found are skeleton key half mortise locks. Was hoping to find one with a regular cylinder lock.

View attachment 144143
Just knocked out my interpretation of a gerstner tool box to store my Starrett metal working tools. The box is quarter sawn white oak salvaged from a highway project. The drawers feature half blind finger joints as they are to narrow to get more than about one dovetail in them. The walnut was cut a few years ago on a neighbors ranch when he caught some folks trying to steal an old walnut. The lid has Purple Heart banding and the panel has a cherry center panel. The panel hardware was machined from eBay drops in stainless steel, brass and phosphor bronze. Of course many of my woodworking tools beat the Starrett tools into the box. So I am building a second larger box for them now. The front and back top rails are finger jointed while the bottom is dovetailed into the sides. The drawer boxes are maple with Baltic birch bottoms. The Baltic birch was drop from the sushi Rama job we did a couple of years ago. The only thing remaining is the lid hardware and front lock. Looking for brass locks and latches now. I got some latches but turns out they are steel stampings with a thin brass plate. The only locks I have found are skeleton key half mortise locks. Was hoping to find one with a regular cylinder lock.
Wow, that's something to be proud of.
Well done !

I found quite a few candles in odd places, so tieded up put in a plastic bag.....placed on top of a pile of stuff...
forgot I left the garage door open for a day.....
oops one melted mess....
but on the pos side have alifetimes supply of drawer runner lub....
wish we could get wood like that here.....nice job....

So above picture/mentioned pen was made whilst I was finishing another project - well here it is an apple wood coffee table, it was made from a slab of apple wood with quite a bow in it (hence the router sled I made - see jigs thread) - I've included a couple of pics of the other piece that is left, that is planned to be another coffee table but more like a 'river' version that will be a xmas pressie for my daughter - this was the simpler non-river prototype.

IMG_2707.jpeg
IMG_2708.jpeg
IMG_2706.jpeg
IMG_2709.jpeg

Regards

Padster

2 very different jobs for me

First is a Cutting board that I've been eyeing up in the girlfriends parents house for a while that was in desperate need of some love. Hard to believe the 2 pictures are the same board. Its 30 years old and looks like its spent most of that time in a dishwasher!!!

Secondly is a 'Grow Wall'. A friend saw something similar on Pinterest and asked me if I could make something similar to hide the shed next to their decking. The horizontal slats are all French cleats so the trays can be rearranged depending on what you put in them. Looking forward to seeing it in place and planted up.

tempImagePtqHPK.png

7474850d-50aa-42f2-adac-9ee1303f88f6.JPG

FFE5CA09-F1D4-4C2E-8C99-1AB6FA988FFD.JPG

So above picture/mentioned pen was made whilst I was finishing another project - well here it is an apple wood coffee table, it was made from a slab of apple wood with quite a bow in it (hence the router sled I made - see jigs thread) - I've included a couple of pics of the other piece that is left, that is planned to be another coffee table but more like a 'river' version that will be a xmas pressie for my daughter - this was the simpler non-river prototype.

View attachment 144283View attachment 144287

Regards

Padster

Nice job Padster. That's a pretty piece of wood, especially as the picture of the starting material doesn't look very promising at all.
I see a price on the timber but it seems to be written in some esoteric script :giggle:
Is that 13.60 or 113.60 or something else entirely?

2 very different jobs for me

First is a Cutting board that I've been eyeing up in the girlfriends parents house for a while that was in desperate need of some love. Hard to believe the 2 pictures are the same board. Its 30 years old and looks like its spent most of that time in a dishwasher!!!

View attachment 144316

View attachment 144317
what did you do to the board, I have a similar one! just sanded and oiled?

Nice job Padster. That's a pretty piece of wood, especially as the picture of the starting material doesn't look very promising at all.
I see a price on the timber but it seems to be written in some esoteric script :giggle:
Is that 13.60 or 113.60 or something else entirely?
It was priced up at 157.60, before discount approx 2.5m long, 0.5m wide, so not exactly cheap but what wood is these days!
Had a feeling it would come up well, came from Yandles where you can self select and if you ask the guy will clean the wood with some water so you can see the grain etc.

It was priced up at 157.60, before discount approx 2.5m long, 0.5m wide, so not exactly cheap but what wood is these days!
Had a feeling it would come up well, came from Yandles where you can self select and if you ask the guy will clean the wood with some water so you can see the grain etc.
I think I was in there when you were choosing it… we had looked at it and I thought it needed more skill than I had… my wife and I were selecting walnut!

what did you do to the board, I have a similar one! just sanded and oiled?
Yep pretty much. I started with the main faces sanding them but when I got to the juice groove I couldnt be bothered to fight a bit of paper rapped round a dowel so recut them with a router along with the grooves on the edge.

I think I was in there when you were choosing it… we had looked at it and I thought it needed more skill than I had… my wife and I were selecting walnut!
Ah I remember - pleasure to meet you retrospectively !
Love it in there but it always costs me money LOL

Regards

Padster

Ah I remember - pleasure to meet you retrospectively !
Love it in there but it always costs me money LOL

Regards

Padster
And you - glad to see the final result!

We went there for two oak shelves 75cm x 15cm
Came back with - 10m of oak shelving for a totally different room / zebrano for the original shelving / random planks of cherry, beech, pear, etc. and a whole load of turning blanks - good thing I took the RR for its roof rack! love that shop...

Back