Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spent the last couple of weekends putting this patio table together to keep SWMBO happy. Hopefully that gives me some breathing space to get on with what I want to!

edyqyda2.jpg
Great tint colour

Stick it behind your ear ?

That reminds me of a time when I was building a holiday cottage where we already had bookings cued up even before the walls were half built, so a bit of pressure - one day I was doing a load of timber related stuff late into the night and was quite exhausted - sat on the edge of the bed to take my socks off, fell backwards asleep and woke up in the morning still with a pencil behind my ear :)

Quite the opposite with me. If I have 20 pencils I can never find one. If I have just 1 pencil I always know exactly where it is.

I'm with Phil here, I'm never more than a foot away from a pencil at any given time as they're literally everywhere, on the machines, on the floor, in the cupboards and cabinets, in the dust extractor, all over the bench.

Lurker could fill his pockets and I'd still have more than enough to survive, that's how many I have!

I have finally finished this marathon project after over 6 months on and off, I had a few things to do in between, it's a quadratic diffuser built for my recording studio to go on the back wall, it was good for improving my mitred dovetail skills and first proper project with them in, bear in mind every single joint is cut by hand, I did use a bandsaw for cutting the vertical slats which were then handplaned down to final thickness, this project has been very testing, almost gave up a few times, hope you like it, definitely the best thing I've made yet, and hoping to make another two as well.

finished_QRD_diffuser-3.jpg

Attachments

• finished_QRD_diffuser-6.jpg
    finished_QRD_diffuser-6.jpg
    588.2 KB · Views: 34
  • finished_QRD_diffuser-5.jpg
    finished_QRD_diffuser-5.jpg
    671.6 KB · Views: 34
  • finished_QRD_diffuser-4.jpg
    finished_QRD_diffuser-4.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 34
  • finished_QRD_diffuser-1.jpg
    finished_QRD_diffuser-1.jpg
    616.1 KB · Views: 32
I have finally finished this marathon project after over 6 months on and off, I had a few things to do in between, it's a quadratic diffuser built for my recording studio to go on the back wall, it was good for improving my mitred dovetail skills and first proper project with them in, bear in mind every single joint is cut by hand, I did use a bandsaw for cutting the vertical slats which were then handplaned down to final thickness, this project has been very testing, almost gave up a few times, hope you like it, definitely the best thing I've made yet, and hoping to make another two as well.

View attachment 91246

Really interesting, could you tell us a bit about the acoustic design? One of the best acoustic improvements I made to my stereo was when I put my elliptical shelves on the wall behind my settee and opposite my speakers. I assumed it was because they diffused the sound waves.

Edit - just noticed you have a separate thread, great stuff.

Last edited:
Really interesting, could you tell us a bit about the acoustic design? One of the best acoustic improvements I made to my stereo was when I put my elliptical shelves on the wall behind my settee and opposite my speakers. I assumed it was because they diffused the sound waves.

yes I seem to remember I think you did those shelves out of plywood? it makes sense that it will improve the sound. I am making the backwall a giant diffuser basically, this is one of three it will really help the sound in my room, both recording and producing music, note how if you study the pattern of this diffuser how it's perfectly symmetrical, the same as your shelves that's a key part of diffusion and why your shelves diffuse sound effectively, but these diffusers use prime number theory and you design them to work in a specific frequency range.

Last edited:
I always enjoy seeing what people have been making so I am going to try and get in the habit of posting more stuff I make. As I just do general joinery I'm afraid there won't be many exotic hardwoods or hand tools used but it is all made by me in my workshop which is what counts. I do always get the customers permission before posting any pics.

Today I finished off an understair cupboard I started before lockdown, there are drawers and hanging space behind the doors, customer sorting the painting.

understair cupboard.jpg

Back