Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is my first piece of furniture and is a present for a friend:

Painted tulip wood and oiled oak.

Drawer to be fitted once plumbers have been in.

ls table.jpeg

Oh ma Lord. I have gone and caught bath and sink envy. What TF is happening to me!??
*Dammit man you're a windowcleaner! Snap out of it you fool! The next step is listening to your Mrs!
*Slaps own face.

Blimey that's the poshest bird box I have seen , Just one thing , Should it have a small dowel just in front of the entry hole ? for Mr or Mrs bird to land on before entering their new home ,
I know nothing about bird boxes :confused:

I think that a dowel is optional, but maybe helpful. I think it depends on the bird TBH - you're trying to replicate what nature would normally provide, I know that barn owls ideally need a little 'patio' area:unsure:.

Unfortunately, by using the word 'lumber' you have inadvertantly summoned the demons (pedants). Your punishment will arrive shortly.

New oak house sign.

Used a freehand router to do most of the work and then cleaned up by hand using a chisel. No finish, I’m hoping it will weather nicely plus it will spare me having to regularly treat it.

7AAF07EF-70B1-47D9-BBF8-28A436BF445B.jpeg

I replaced the stand that held my large 2010 laptop with this new, more manoeuvrable stand for my Surface Pro laptop/tablet that I often use in the workshop. It is heavily based on the one made from the JSK-koubou YouTube channel and made from off-cuts of 19mm ply and book-matched oak.View attachment 91527View attachment 91528
Ah - that's inspired me to make some sort of easel for the old HUDL tablet I keep in the workshop - save me going into the house look stuff up ( and I can order tools and stuff direct from the workshop (y) )

My current project (a WIP, awaiting arrival of Velcro from Amazon, due later today): guitar-effects pedal-board. Made from scrap-wood. Rustic and functional, as opposed to many of the things I've seen other folks posting here, which are closer to art than my own 'umble craft!

Attachments

• IMG_3537.JPG
    IMG_3537.JPG
    978.3 KB · Views: 26
You'll regret it if you do. A better approach is to shim one of the fences, infinitely adjustable and totally reversible if you want to cut your dovetails old school.
I thought a lot about what you wrote. Whilst not entirely convinced I do understand what you mean and decided to follow your advice so I aligned the 2 fences with no offset.

Shimming the horizontal fence is no problem, but for other cuts I need to shim the vertical fence. In a typical UK vice this would be easy, but I use a Scandinavian-style bench with a Scandinavian-style vice. This makes access to the vertical fence difficult when the fence is on the left. Not impossible, but difficult enough to be annoying.

I could reverse the jig to put the fences on the right and access to the fence is then easy, but the wood to be clamped is then beyond the reach of the vice so that doesn't work.

Overall the "jig" makes things a lot easier, and I do like it, but I need to give it more thought to get it really right to use with my vice.

Back