Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DennisCA":1urmyf11 said:
MattRoberts":1urmyf11 said:
Nice box Dennis - did you use a jig for the finger joints?

Yeah I use the screw advance jig by matthias wandel, I cut all 4 parts in one go.
Oh nice - with the gears? I've bought the plans for the John heisz ones, but not got around to making it yet

giantbeat":w5fjare8 said:
horrid photo but its a cherry & walnut ply drum kit with wooden hoops, photo taken from a drum show at the weekend i crammed in several overnight shifts to get this done, my workshops in bits right now so was a challenge to build in time.

Looks great! I hope you do a "Words & Photos" build sequence, I'd be fascinated to see how they're made.

=D>

Inspired by the Puffin that Doris carved ...

puffin.jpg

giantbeat":2v09h5h3 said:
horrid photo but its a cherry & walnut ply drum kit with wooden hoops, photo taken from a drum show at the weekend i crammed in several overnight shifts to get this done, my workshops in bits right now so was a challenge to build in time.

=D> Excellent

Just finished two experiments which will be birthday presents for my mum. When my parents redid their kitchen, they had a few things made out of black walnut, and kept the offcuts. Since my mum has said she wanted a cheeseboard and matching breadboard, I spotted a present opportunity!

Both are very simple as they're my first attempts into their respective techniques. For the cheeseboard, it's the largest thing I've turned (15"), as I usually do spindlework. So I kept it simple, focused on the finish. For the breadboard, all I had was smaller pieces, so I needed to do a block laminate effect - again, my first time doing that as an end product. Kept it simple, focused on the finish.

I'd welcome any comments and criticism! Oh, they've been finished with danish oil.

http://imgur.com/a/RHTFk

Cheers!

I created a silver birch cutting board, finished today with some de-waxed shellac, this wood was in a skip near me! so it was completely free.

I was planning on giving it away to a friend, but now I might have to keep it.

I used a coping saw, rasp a no4 stanley plane and sandpaper to make this, no power tools needed.

Attachments

• Birch_Chopping_Board-1.jpg
    Birch_Chopping_Board-1.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 429
Knocked this together today with off-cuts of Jewsons' finest rubbish 'joinery grade' reds. Notice the short T&G board...it's only for me so I don't mind too much.

thetyreman":2o52dh3n said:
I used a coping saw, rasp a no4 stanley plane and sandpaper to make this, no power tools needed.

Blimey, that's unbelievably good!

The precise and even rounding to all the edges (including on the end grain and around those internal and external corners), the absolute symmetry of the handle, the tightness of the glue lines, the flatness of the surface, the way the jointed boards are perfectly balanced on each side, the complete absence of any tell tale flats or facets from a rasp, and even the professional jauntiness of the design.

I'm blown away, I really am!

=D>

+1

Nice job, the quiet side of wood work is nice and relaxing, and gets you in touch with the wood and how it likes to be worked.

Pete

After using a temporary screwed-to-a-bit-of-MDF-in-a-workmate job for more years than can strictly be considered "temporary", I made one of these:
a.jpg

And to celebrate, one of these - to replace the temporary-old-glass-placemat which we'd used for more years than could strictly be considered "temporary":
b.jpg

Since I know it's all you guys really care about, and also since I need the practice, I did the corners with dovetails:
c.jpg

And then stuffed things in it so it's useful:
d.jpg

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 253
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 253
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 253
  • d.jpg
    d.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 253
Those are some very impressively tight dovetails!
Isn't that Sapele?
Was there a lot of splintering to deal with?
How thick is your brass plate?
End of 'Q's

Back