Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A nice compact utility room finished last week, gloss slate grey doors light grey cabinet interiors all made to measure hiding boiler, consumer unit, washing machine, tumble drier, water softner, broom/ cleaning cupboard three drawers and wall storage sink set into ceramic worktop.
IRS20191027_190027.jpg

IRS20191027_185951.jpg

Attachments

• IRS20191027_190027.jpg
    IRS20191027_190027.jpg
    501.3 KB · Views: 240
  • IRS20191027_185951.jpg
    IRS20191027_185951.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 241
Lump of firewood, reworked.
_MG_8802.jpg

It's getting cold here now, so I've been splitting logs. Spent the evening trying to work out how to do the knots - comes with a free guide on the lark's head noose knot so it can be remade when it shrinks and falls apart.

Attachments

• _MG_8802.jpg
    _MG_8802.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 450
Reworked into a split lump of firewood with some meat string round it? What is it?

Seriously Chris, you made me sign in for that? please can we remove the swear filter for a minute so I can call Chris names?

Although the more I look at it, the more it looks like the X-ray of my bosses new knee.

Sell for millions no dowt. :)

I've been looking at this a while, trying to work out where the wine bottles go. I've come to the conclusion that it's actually a tablesaw cross cut sled.

owen":1brul4b4 said:
What is it?
Tricky to answer without sounding pretentious, but here goes.
The workshop I share is surrounded by wood in all kinds of states, from logs to planed boards and finished pieces. I tend not to pay attention to it day-to-day but every so often, a bit of rough wood catches my eye and I find myself looking at it and wondering about its age, structure and all that.
And yesterday morning I re-watched one of the Hank Gilpin vids where he says there's no such thing as bad wood. I love his attitude, and I really like Mark Lindquist's work on account of its raw woodiness.
So i decided to go back to the most basic sort of intervention in a bit of wood i could think of, splitting it and looking inside, and then thought maybe I could keep that moment - so I made the little 'sketch' that I posted. Raw wood with a very basic intervention. I'm going to try more of them with the axe, then on to the lathe and other simple cuts and breaks.
It's a really basic fascination that I'd guess most of us who work/ try to work with wood have, and one that's worth keeping hold of, I think.
So, as we say here in Wales, 'that's warritis'. :)

Good for you Chris.
I went to the Tate Modern once. I was walking home down the southbank and I thought... f*** it go in and have a look. Well tbh I thought most of it was shi*e. There you go. I did. I still do if im honest. But really im still backward enough to want to see some technical merit as well as concept. Call me old fashioned.
But i do remember walking round those Tate exhibits and thinking that the world would be a far poorer place if they didnt exist.
The World need fresh views.
Keep it up Chris. You give me hope that the world isnt as small as i have contrived to make it in the last 20 years through habit, convenience and laziness to my own detriment.
Respect mate. You woke me up a bit there. Fair play.
Regards
Chris

Bm101":3rib16ta said:
i remember walking round those Tate exhibits and thinking that the world would be a far poorer place if they didnt exist.
The World need fresh views.
gives me hope that the world isnt as small as i have contrived to make it in the last 20 years through habit, convenience and laziness

If only you were famous.......
I could sell that to private eye for pseuds corner.

Thanks Chris.

lurker":1laa8kz3 said:
I could sell that to private eye for pseuds corner.
I had an extract in pseuds corner umpteen years ago - I've always thought it was the highlight of my career. :?
Maybe we could have something similar on UKW... :)

pollys13":1mwu2kqs said:
ace":1mwu2kqs said:
Not the most intereting thing but just finished this -
/
door.jpg

door1.jpg
Interesting design, nice, I like that. Did you use a V router bit to get the tongue, groove effect? How did you do the framing for the light?

The three "V" grooved panels are 1 3/4" thick bevelled at the corners with two loose tongues in the edges. They are cut over the bottom rail on the outside which is around 1 1/4" thick. bottom rail has bare faced tenons.

The light is formed with beading rebated over the face of the door. The bottom bead is wider with a gap underneath to allow drainage for the sealed unit.

Made with Western Red Cedar.

Roll round garage doors

Garagedoor.JPG

Attachments

• Garagedoor.JPG
    Garagedoor.JPG
    675.3 KB · Views: 211
Had a large piece of nasty-looking apple wood, about 3-foot long, bent at a big knot, heavily splintered from when it was cleaved, but with a lovely streak of red heartwood and every time I tried to put it out for the neighbour’s log-burner, I just couldn’t bring myself to do it, a few hours with a carving axe, rasp and a couple of big gouges this is the result. I let the wood do the talking, just following all those big splits, you can see there’s a couple still left in the bowl, though they are glued tight shut now. Finished with sunflower oil (its food-safe). Nice big ladle, with an 18″ long handle, the wood twisting through about 60 degrees meaning it is really comfortable to use.

20191031_1431204546987981786230251.jpg

Back