Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Three legged stool
29614847257_1d270596f5_c.jpg

Like it very much, especially the dovetails. As a member here I should probably be ashamed to admit it, but so far I have never made even 1 attempt at a dovetail! One day (perhaps)

thetyreman":2olmcudr said:
made myself a wall bracket over the weekend using meranti, it's not glued yet or finished but here's some photos:

Corner Wall Bracket by Ben Tyreman, on Flickr

Meranti Wall Bracket Side View by Ben Tyreman, on Flickr

Houndstooth Dovetail Corner Wall Bracket by Ben Tyreman, on Flickr

Wall Bracket in the Vice by Ben Tyreman, on Flickr

Really nice. I also love seeing your bench now vs when you built it. Mine is similar and I appreciate every knock and scrape and saw mark.

made a pen caddy for my dad's birthday, I wanted to use contrasting woods, the meranti is quartersawn and I picked out the best bits, and redwood pine for the sides, it measures 6 inches long by 3 inches high at the back and 2 inches deep, great way to use up some offcuts as it's not too big, the angle the pens rest at means they shouldn't fall down once it's full, it's a bit bling with the grain :lol: but it was good practise, I finished it with dewaxed shellac as a sanding sealer, then danish oil to pop the grain.

Attachments

• pencaddy_255K-1.jpg
    pencaddy_255K-1.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 107
  • pencaddy_255K-2.jpg
    pencaddy_255K-2.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 107
  • pencaddy_255K-3.jpg
    pencaddy_255K-3.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 106
  • pencaddy_255K-4.jpg
    pencaddy_255K-4.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 106
  • pencaddy_255K-5.jpg
    pencaddy_255K-5.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 106
I like that!
I also have some suitable offcuts, too nice to chuck out, not big enough for much else... and Christmas is not that far off...

Raymond UK":2kgl2zas said:
That looks nice Ben.

I've never attempted cutting dovetails by hand. I don't think I have the patience. :oops:

Patience? Once you've done a few, you'll realise just how quick they can be. It's a quicker job than chopping out a mortise and tenon, I reckon, and possibly a bit more forgiving of inaccuracy, too, depending on the timber.

MikeG.":pskkc1xj said:
Patience? Once you've done a few, you'll realise just how quick they can be. It's a quicker job than chopping out a mortise and tenon, I reckon, and possibly a bit more forgiving of inaccuracy, too, depending on the timber.

Cheers Mike,

I cheat with dovetails on the toy chests I make and cut them with a router on a jig. (half blind dovetails).

Mortice and tenon I do on the table saw and mortising machine.

Best get my coat... :oops:

I sold my wood lathe as I needed more space in the shed and don't seem to get time to play anymore so I thought I'd make one last thing on it before it goes.

A Dorito bowl out of oak.

Doritos on the outside and a hole in the middle to fit a glass container for the dip.

Raymond UK":2yl5mrp2 said:
That looks nice Ben.

I've never attempted cutting dovetails by hand. I don't think I have the patience. :oops:

just give a go, your mind can easily trick you out of it, you'd be able to do it I'm sure, don't be too hard on yourself.

this is the last thing that I made , it may be a while before I make anything else as back surgery on Thursday AM

take care
John

Attachments

• IMG_0265 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0265 (Small).JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 401
Nice bracket with chamfers and a subtle curve.

Next time, assuming that there are screw holes in the upright, you can use the holes and some oversized screws to fix the bracket to a bit of scrap but spaced away from it. Then you can clamp the scrap in the vice and varnish all sides at once.

Ttrees":3gglqwxn said:
The finish looks nice Ben
Is it all meranti?
The diagonal strut looks like sipo/utile to me with that fleck.
Tom

I think it's meranti, but it was almost dead on quartersawn, it could be sipo or utile but the brace piece had the same texture as the other pieces so I just presumed it was meranti, the wood came from an old door that I cut up a while ago, glad you like the finish though

AndyT":81vtei1b said:
Nice bracket with chamfers and a subtle curve.

Next time, assuming that there are screw holes in the upright, you can use the holes and some oversized screws to fix the bracket to a bit of scrap but spaced away from it. Then you can clamp the scrap in the vice and varnish all sides at once.

thanks, I almost feel embarrassed that I didn't think of that, what a great tip!

A real woodworking newbie here, but I made myself a mitre block to cut some small bits of window trim that needed replacing. I followed a Paul Sellers video so it was my first time using the "knife wall" method of starting cuts.
It's made of sapele and surprisingly close to 45degrees!
Mitre block.jpg

Attachments

• Mitre block.jpg
    Mitre block.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 284
They have a very limited life, those mitre guides. Each time you use it the kerf is opened up a little, giving more and more play. Fine if you are following up on a shooting board, but watch out if you are trying to make your joints straight from the saw.

917977_B2-57_D0-4_C05-9_E01-_F30_AA9_C5_C4_CF.jpg
917977_B2-57_D0-4_C05-9_E01-_F30_AA9_C5_C4_CF.jpg

A plywood (standard 18mm, not baltic birch) and live edge walnut TV/Media unit I made last month. No WIP pictures because I’m an silly person and forgot to take any. All hand dimensioned, though no fancy joints other than reinforced butt joints. Not much point doing them in plywood anyway I reckon. Ply parts finished with liming wax, walnut finished with 3 coats of danish oil. My wife likes it, that’ll do me!

Latest posts

Back