Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thetyreman":mrncdp2f said:
Toolchest : Key/Brass Escutcheon Detail by Ben Tyreman, on Flickr

today I completed installing a brass inlayed escutcheon, it's my first go at anything like this, it isn't perfect but it'll be painted then sanded over, the lines around the edges are pencil marks, what would you recommend when painting it? mask it off? or sand straight through it, I'll be using chalk paint for it.

A&E Squire 2" Brass Mortise lock by Ben Tyreman, on Flickr

and completed installing the lock, it was worth getting a good one by A&E Squire, they are very well made worth what they cost for sure.

Chest with lock and Escutcheon by Ben Tyreman, on Flickr

and finally a shot of the whole chest with the new escutcheon

Well, I like that, Tyreman. That's a proper piece of furniture, and attractively designed. Simple and elegant. However, I fear you are about to ruin it with chalk paint. All those dovetails will disappear. The damn stuff hides everything.

If you feel the need to paint it (or indeed, you feel some external pressure to paint it), then how about wipe-on-wipe-off emulsion? That way you'll still get to see the dovetails, and the grain of the wood, but you'll get a hint of colour too. It works nicely with pine. You can varnish over it if you want a more robust finish (not water-based varnish, though).

A very attractive tool box Tyeman. An oil finish would look good, showing up your nice dovetails and the grain.

John

thetyreman":3i2jrgl6 said:
today I completed installing a brass inlayed escutcheon, it's my first go at anything like this, it isn't perfect but it'll be painted then sanded over, the lines around the edges are pencil marks, what would you recommend when painting it? mask it off? or sand straight through it, I'll be using chalk paint for it.

Beautiful work Tyreman =D> =D>

Racers":3i2jrgl6 said:
Occasional table made to go on the decking I have just about finished.

Made in 2 hours using mostly hand tools apart from a jigsaw to cut out the top.
Apple branches from my apple tree for the legs.

Pete

I like that too =D> =D> How big is it, it looks quite small?

The table top is 330mm wide and 440mm high, it’s more of a side table.
I need to find the rest of the plank and make another.

Pete

A little something I knocked up

Attachments

• IMG_2290_small.JPG
    IMG_2290_small.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 199
Thank you. I made the whole thing myself (there are over 200 pieces of glass in that panel and all the joints are soldered front and back. I have made a number of stained glass panels, lamp shades and mirrors. I'm looking to try and get a business going doing something I actually like. I'm an electrician by trade, but hate it with a vengeance, so I'm teaching myself joinery and cabinetry - the glass started after I did a little course to make a diamond window in my front door.

Take a look at www.andonart.com - that's where I put all the stuff I've made

Here's a mirror I made:

thetyreman":j0x5gh1a said:
bowmaster":j0x5gh1a said:
A little something I knocked up

who did the stained glass? that's quality work, beautiful lamp! =D>

Attachments

• hall_mirror_small.jpg
    hall_mirror_small.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 181
Decking finished, shed painted, cat installed...

Decking by Racers, on Flickr

You can just about make out the set of cat steps on the right hand side so Otis can get onto the shed roof easily.

2.6 X 5.2 meters.

Pete

Love the fact you made cat steps for what I'm guessing is your old(ish)lad to get up to the roof and his warm spot. Dedication and an open heart there Pete. Fair play

bowmaster":2igrsi9p said:
I'm looking to try and get a business going doing something I actually like. I'm an electrician by trade, but hate it with a vengeance, so I'm teaching myself joinery and cabinetry - the glass started after I did a little course to make a diamond window in my front door.
=D> =D> =D>

Bm101":8vymgr5t said:
Love the fact you made cat steps for what I'm guessing is your old(ish)lad to get up to the roof and his warm spot. Dedication and an open heart there Pete. Fair play
He isn’t that old but the lilac tree he used to access the roof I had to cut down as it was rotting, and he struggled coming down afterwards.

Pete

Another axe gets a new shaft, this is a smaller version of the one I made last time and will become a one handed woodworking axe. I did the rough shaping with another small axe I usually keep indoors for kindling work.

42520198870_79848debcd_c.jpg

I've been making this box for a while (don't get too much spare time to go in the workshop) and received plenty of advice from forum members on things such as routing for the hinges and the box lining. Custard's article on the lining worked great.

The finished box is far from perfect, but it has been a learning experience for me - just the second box I've made, and the first one with an insert and lining.

It was intended to store my watches, cufflinks etc. but SWMBO has commandeered it for some of her jewellery.

Materials used were Ash, Suede Lining and Strap hinges from Prokraft. For the price (about £5 per pair) the hinges are OK, but i would welcome any advice on other strap hinges available.

Attachments

• box.JPG
    box.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 421
  • box2.JPG
    box2.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 421
Here is the completed toolbox/chest, after 3 months work, I am happy to have finally completed it, the project has been a big learning experience, will post more detailed shots later on today.

IMG_1302.jpg by Ben Tyreman, on Flickr

fezman":2t0e0cna said:
Strap hinges from Prokraft. For the price (about £5 per pair) the hinges are OK, but i would welcome any advice on other strap hinges available.

Very nice job! Unfortunately there's a real jump in price from those hinges to the top of the range versions like NeatHinge and SmartHinge. Maybe that wouldn't have been an appropriate expense before, but it looks like your skills are getting to the stage that your work warrants first class hardware.

thetyreman":19ccn412 said:
Here is the completed toolbox/chest, after 3 months work

Impeccable work. From the choice of colour through to the installation of the hardware, that's a thoroughly professional job. Kudos for never getting impatient and bodging it up because you were rushing. Okay, it took three months, but now it'll reward you with years and years of satisfaction

=D>

Latest posts

Back