Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
made myself a tool tote finally! it's going to save me trips in and out of the garage for DIY jobs in the house, and will come in handy.

I used leftoever bits of pine and spruce, it's all wood I found in a skip except the side pieces which is redwood pine and the dowels are maple.

Attachments

• tool_tote_comp-1.jpg
    tool_tote_comp-1.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 169
  • tool_tote_comp-2.jpg
    tool_tote_comp-2.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 169
  • tool_tote_comp-3.jpg
    tool_tote_comp-3.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 169
  • tool_tote_comp-4.jpg
    tool_tote_comp-4.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 169
  • tool_tote_comp-5.jpg
    tool_tote_comp-5.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 168
  • tool_tote_comp-6.jpg
    tool_tote_comp-6.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 167
Kev":18e8s6qn said:
Thought I would share my latest efforts as never get round to posting pictures and thought was about time I made the effort. Never done this before and turned out relatively well.

Well done Kev. The saddling of the seats must have been hard work in Oak but it looks really professional.

=D>

thetyreman":31ae3ib3 said:
made myself a tool tote finally! it's going to save me trips in and out of the garage for DIY jobs in the house, and will come in handy.

Cool design and very useful, that would make an excellent gift item.

=D>

thetyreman":37h27nf0 said:

I used leftoever bits of pine and spruce, it's all wood I found in a skip except the side pieces which is redwood pine and the dowels are maple.

Excellent, well done.

To save everything just being piled up on top of everything else, how about adding some thin strips lengthways 2 or 3 inches down from the top, and then making a half-length tray to sit on those. This can hold smaller items like chisels and drill bits, screwdrivers, punches etc, and the tray can either be slid along or removed to allow access to the stuff underneath. Mine is very similar to yours, and the tray is the most used thing in it.

thetyreman":1170jrxr said:

Very nice =D> Is the handle loose bar the dowels? If so I could see that being useful for getting bulkier items in or out once you're at the work site. I've got a home-made tote myself and it's been immeasurably useful for doing DIY jobs around the house (yours is much nicer than mine though!)

DTR":d91429zw said:
thetyreman":d91429zw said:

Very nice =D> Is the handle loose bar the dowels? If so I could see that being useful for getting bulkier items in or out once you're at the work site. I've got a home-made tote myself and it's been immeasurably useful for doing DIY jobs around the house (yours is much nicer than mine though!)

thanks, yes the handle is just held in with compression from the tapered dowels once you tap them it's not moving, I'm sure it's going to get a lot of use and will very likely outlast me :D

I tell you what you'll find really useful, and it is simply an inadvertent feature of the design.........the two flat tops to the end pieces. I guarantee that at some stage you'll find yourself sawing or drilling a piece of wood resting across the two tops, like a baby topless saw horse. I've used mine hundreds of times like that, when going to fetch a saw horse just isn't worth the effort.

Very nice tool tote thetyreman, thanks for posting. A couple of genuine Qs if I may:

I too am thinking of something like very much that (for the same reason as you made yours, and the Stanley "cloth" version is V expensive here, and the UK Aldi version hasn't appeared here).

So I've looked at a couple of designs and one came up where the carry handle was placed slant-wise across the box - i.e. looking down from on top, the handle was fitted to the back on one end and to the front on the other. The designer said this was a good idea 'cos it stopped bigger items getting caught against the handle when removing from the box. This makes little or no sense to me, but have you had any problems (so far) with getting long thin items out/getting caught on the handle?

Also, I wonder if it would be a good idea to lightly tack/glue a thin, not very wide piece of thin ply across one (or both) ends, where the sides extend beyond the ends (+ a "floor" of course)? This/these would be to hold small items such as drill bit/s, small electrical screwdriver, etc. Any thoughts?

Nice job and nice pics, thanks for posting.

AES

AES":2yy4lfc4 said:
Very nice tool tote thetyreman, thanks for posting. A couple of genuine Qs if I may:

I too am thinking of something like very much that (for the same reason as you made yours, and the Stanley "cloth" version is V expensive here, and the UK Aldi version hasn't appeared here).

So I've looked at a couple of designs and one came up where the carry handle was placed slant-wise across the box - i.e. looking down from on top, the handle was fitted to the back on one end and to the front on the other. The designer said this was a good idea 'cos it stopped bigger items getting caught against the handle when removing from the box. This makes little or no sense to me, but have you had any problems (so far) with getting long thin items out/getting caught on the handle?

Also, I wonder if it would be a good idea to lightly tack/glue a thin, not very wide piece of thin ply across one (or both) ends, where the sides extend beyond the ends (+ a "floor" of course)? This/these would be to hold small items such as drill bit/s, small electrical screwdriver, etc. Any thoughts?

Nice job and nice pics, thanks for posting.

AES

thanks AES,

The design is by Paul Sellers, luckily one of the free projects on woodworkingmasterclass.com you should be able to follow along on there.

https://woodworkingmasterclasses.com/videos/carrying-tote-project-info/

I find the design is well thought out, you won't have problems with anything catching with the handle, you could always make the side pieces higher but then it might look a bit odd proportionally, I think it's good how it is.

secondly yes you could easily put either ply or solid wood into the ends and customise it as much as you wanted, or drill holes in the sides for screwdrivers e.t.c, no reason why not, I've seen a few other examples on the website with this and it looked good, although you may find that you won't need it once you have made it, best to make it first then see.

OK thetyreman, all understood, thanks (I must say the idea I saw about the handle going "back to front "across" the box width did seem a bit "strange"!) ;-)

AES

The uprights were supposed to be for a lean-to roof thing but a few years passed and I never completed it, so I was nagged into doing this last week, just finished it yesterday. Gets them away from the computer screens, and my son commented yesterday as we were playing that the trees were starting to turn green.
_MG_7206 (1).jpg

Not the finest bit of joinery but it works and everyone's happy...

Attachments

• _MG_7206 (1).jpg
    _MG_7206 (1).jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 389
thetyreman":25fkcgig said:

Man that is great. I can't put my finger on why exactly it works so well... it's got something very nostalgic about it, I think from the more narrow and tall shape compared to other similar boxes. Very good.

It isn't technically finished yet but this weekend I knocked up an oak sawbench (based on Chris Schwarz's plans in The Anarchist's Design Book) which I'm going to use as a stool/footstool.

I hadn't turned legs before so I'm pleased that they all look somewhat similar...! Happy with how it's turning out generally.

7d4zI37.jpg

El Barto":4efqremi said:

I like the proportions on that very much. I like the appropriation as a footstool or similar. Made me wonder about a couple of ideas.

Back