Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bm101":1lzh32ty said:
Cheers Bart. It seems an intuitive shape which is what made me wonder. Thanks for the answer. Much appreciated!

Here's a better photo of it if you're interested:

RLL0Ldq.jpg

DSCN2499.JPG
DSCN2498.JPG
DSCN2497.JPG

Little "box" for tomorrow's club TOTY. TruOiled, not yet waxed. About 4" across, ash, oak, laburnum and padauk (scraps). Ash dyed with Blackfriars Spanish Mahogany on the outside red spirit dye and Rustin's P.C. on the inside. Inside turned first. The lid was a bit of practice and experimentation for lids on another ongoing project.

It got a first. :D

Attachments

• DSCN2497.JPG
    DSCN2497.JPG
    125.4 KB · Views: 419
  • DSCN2498.JPG
    DSCN2498.JPG
    125.3 KB · Views: 419
  • DSCN2499.JPG
    DSCN2499.JPG
    126.4 KB · Views: 419
Faux-17th century joined chest in oak. Drawbored mortice-and-tenon joinery bar the floorboards which were tongue-and-grooved and nailed on. Some simple decorative carving elements on the rails. Did use power tools right at the start for rough cuts, and the ubiquitous powerdrill, but mostly this is hand tool work.

IMG_2458a.jpg

IMG_2460a.jpg

IMG_2461a.jpg

It even meets the spec: baby blankets fit in it.
See, the name is kindof a pun, it's a baby blanket chest :D

IMG_2463a.jpg

Build log:
http://www.stochasticgeometry.ie/catego ... ?order=asc

=D> Mark, your Oak Chest is fantastic; you must be well pleased with it

I posted in the other thread already, but I really like that chest Mark =D>

The irony is, it's a baby blanket chest for a mate in work and I dropped it off this morning because he and his wife are expecting their first next week...

...or at least they were until she went into labour this morning so now it'll be a fortnight before he gets it so I didn't have to rush after all :D

I made a set of four* clamps, inspired by Andy T's version of Robert Wearing's clamps. I didn't follow Wearing's drawings to the letter, I just let the wood I had dictate the size.

No WIP photos as they're just a couple of sticks with holes drilled through them! :p

I did however use a (very) quick and dirty jig to cut matching tapers on all eight pieces:

* it started as a set of four, but SWMBO has claimed one for herself. Then there were three......

MusicMan":26dzvvcz said:
Great idea! I plan to steal it :)

It’s very quick & easy to do, just need a hacksaw, some files and a drill. Its not exactly pretty, but it works perfect! And at a total average cost of £4.47 (not including the scrap of leather) its satisfyingly cheaper than for example the Veritas bench dogs which are £21.58 for a pair at Axi :D

made my first picture frame over the last few days, it's one of the projects on woodworking masterclass, it is a present for my brothers birthday, sadly the cat who is called penny passed away recently aged almost 20 years old.

The wood is quartersawn beech, finished with de-waxed shellac as a sanding sealer then tung/turps to pop the grain. I had this professionally printed which is the first time I've done this in over ten years, the photography is my own work, it's nice to see it printed, instead of on a screen, takes me back to film days, definitely want to get more printed now.

Attachments

• pennycat_beech_frame-1.jpg
    pennycat_beech_frame-1.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 496
Sawdust=manglitter":1a2742bh said:

That is absolutely ingenious. =D> =D> =D> I might also steal it...

thetyreman":1a2742bh said:
I had this professionally printed which is the first time I've done this in over ten years, the photography is my own work, it's nice to see it printed, instead of on a screen, takes me back to film days, definitely want to get more printed now.

Very nice indeed. I always find it surprising how different your own photos look when they're printed, especially larger prints.

thetyreman":31t19x9m said:
made my first picture frame over the last few days, it's one of the projects on woodworking masterclass, it is a present for my brothers birthday, sadly the cat who is called penny passed away recently aged almost 20 years old.

The wood is quartersawn beech, finished with de-waxed shellac as a sanding sealer then tung/turps to pop the grain. I had this professionally printed which is the first time I've done this in over ten years, the photography is my own work, it's nice to see it printed, instead of on a screen, takes me back to film days, definitely want to get more printed now.

Nicely made frame and I admire the mitre joints, what tool or method do you use to make a frame please?

Norway maple, 2 x 14. Turning a rough sawn block of wood into a bowl might just be one of the most satisfying things I've ever done.
IMG_1328.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1328.jpg
    IMG_1328.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 341
Thought I would share my latest efforts as never get round to posting pictures and thought was about time I made the effort.

Had a bit of spare time on my hands so made three stools out of oak for my garden bar! The inspiration for these was very much from an article in fine woodworking by Christian Becksvoort (he of shaker style fame) in relation to the legs. The seat was from some off cuts of full stave 40mm worktop I had lying around the workshop which I shaped using a carving disc, hand tools and lots of sanding. Never done this before and turned out relatively well. The stools are quite tall and the bar is quite high.

Anyway see what you think.

IMG_1035 (1).jpg

IMG_1036-1.jpg

IMG_1037-1.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1035 (1).jpg
    IMG_1035 (1).jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 285
  • IMG_1036-1.jpg
    IMG_1036-1.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_1037-1.jpg