Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
here's my latest piece, another TV Cabinet, american white oak top scraped and oiled with tung oil, and the base is pine painted with eggshell oil paint, it's made to measure the space, it may look the same as the last one I made but it's actually quite different dimensions, the whole build took about 10 days, happy with how it turned out although I'm a bit knackered now.

Attachments

• TV_Cab-1.jpg
    TV_Cab-1.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 407
  • TV_Cab-2.jpg
    TV_Cab-2.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 407
  • TV_Cab-3.jpg
    TV_Cab-3.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 407
  • TV_Cab-4.jpg
    TV_Cab-4.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 407
  • TV_Cab-5.jpg
    TV_Cab-5.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 407
  • TV_Cab-6.jpg
    TV_Cab-6.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 407
Hello,

Yes, the silver tip are the ones I use.

Russian Constructivism was something I liked many years ago , Naum Gabo was who I really liked amongst others who I forget now. I'll have to rekindle that interest again, thanks for reminding me.

Mike.

MikeG - your advice made me think hard about the strength of the table and I altered the design to include the second layer of cross members to begin to deal with it - and tbh I think I prefer it this way. I'm sure it's still not strong but it's got to be better than it was. I really appreciate your comments, you can't possibly apologise! And thanks. C

woodbrains":agy7gpbl said:
Hello,

Yes, the silver tip are the ones I use.

Russian Constructivism was something I liked many years ago , Naum Gabo was who I really liked amongst others who I forget now. I'll have to rekindle that interest again, thanks for reminding me.

Mike.
Thanks Mike - they're in the basket! If you get a chance, maybe take another look at Rodchenko and El Lissitzky - they're the ones whose sculptural works I'd like to explore a bit through wood. Great stuff! C

It did; it effectively looks like a black background that someone's drawn the grain on with an oak-coloured mechanical pencil. I would have liked longer to work on the finishing, but it was a gift for someone in work and because of how holidays worked out this year, today was my last day in the office so it was either call it done or come into work to drop it off and I didn't want to do that :D

thetyreman":1ft101dq said:
here's my latest piece, another TV Cabinet, american white oak top scraped and oiled with tung oil, and the base is pine painted with eggshell oil paint, it's made to measure the space, it may look the same as the last one I made but it's actually quite different dimensions, the whole build took about 10 days, happy with how it turned out although I'm a bit knackered now.

Very nice!

Hi All.
This is my first post and I wish to say hello.
I am power electronics engineer and just start with woodworking. I am reading this forum for over a year now and during this year I did some small and bigger projects (Paul Sellers bench, saw vice, some workshop cabinets etc.).
I wish to show you my last project.
This are cutting boards for Christmas gifts. I made them from oak. It's 23mm calibrated oak I bought from British Hardwoods.
Boards are made with hand tools only, as I am learning using hand tools.
Finished with "Chestnut Food Safe Oil" mineral oil.

Attachments

• 20171211_154232a.jpg
    20171211_154232a.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 254
not sure if it was the last thing i made but certainly the last thing i dispatched.

Attachments

• IMG_0196 copy2.jpg
    IMG_0196 copy2.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 213
IMG_1966a.jpg

IMG_1964a.jpg

IMG_1963a.jpg

IMG_1962a.jpg

Bandsaw box for necklaces (or keys I guess) made from a walnut offcut, some brass and pewter hardware and some felt.
Didn’t turn out too badly.

Made a picture frame for part of my Wife's present. Pretty pleased with the mitres , they're not perfect, but close. But first attempt and used a combination square without the ruler in it to convert my shooting board to 45 degrees so wasn't really set up for a perfect job.

20171224_070459 by Paul Rockliffe, on Flickr

Needs a quick sand and finishing later today.

I've just put two coats of shellac on and waxed it, and just need to temporarily fix the picture in with a couple of pins then it's done until I can buy a piece of glass.

Crimbo pressie for a musical friend who is coming over this evening. Finished this morning! Phew!

P1050333.JPG

P1050334.JPG

P1050335.JPG

They are ripple sycamore and ebony, with stainless steel flanges. Many, many thanks to custard and Pete for your generosity.

The bookends should have been an inch taller, but I cocked up the dovetails. I wasn't happy with them so I cut them off and dominoed instead. Better a good dom than a poor DT, I reckon.

The sycamore is lacquered, but it's a bit shiny, I might tone it down a bit when it is properly hard. The ebony is just burnished. I did lacquer that too, but it looked horrible, so I stripped it all off.

Attachments

• P1050333.JPG
    P1050333.JPG
    248.6 KB · Views: 419
  • P1050334.JPG
    P1050334.JPG
    219.2 KB · Views: 419
  • P1050335.JPG
    P1050335.JPG
    222.9 KB · Views: 419
Glad to know someone else only finished theirs this morning... the lacquer is drying on a few of mine right now :D

Back