Pet hates.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
People up your buttocks! :lol:

Maybe i just drive too slow for a young driver. Had a lorry with some kind of petrol looking container on the back following me at 50mph at about 2 car lengths. I got so pineappled i slowed down, then he starts flashing his lights, so i slowed down to 20mph on a 60 road and he got even closer! Also white vans seem to be up my rectum every morning i go to work as well.

This thread has lots of driving comments :lol:

Motorists that sit in the centre lane. Karl, regarding HGV drivers in middle lane, I suggest fitting a speed limiter to your car and see how you get on, but I do agree, it can be annoying. Just as well the poor old car driver can resort to the outside lane unlike the HGV driver.
Cheers,
Jim :D

Lots of driving comments about folk in the middle lane. However, the legal limit on motorways in the UK is 70mph and 60 on other roads. Assuming that big lorries sit in the nearside lane at 55mph (which is the most fuel efficient speed) around about 60ish seems to be a good speed to sit in the middle lane...irritating I know, but that's what I do. That leaves the speed merchants the outside lane to go past at 70, or does everyone admit to breaking the law? - Rob

My issue with middle lane drivers is the people who, when the motorway is absolutely clear of cars sit at 60 in the middle lane. I admit to, on many occasions, travelling at 70 in the inside lane right up until I am within a couple of car lengths of them, indicating and crossing to outside lane in one movement (when safe to do so obviously) then indicating immediately after overtaking them and getting into the inside lane again as quickly as possible.

It's amazing how many times this results in the hogger immediately realising my intentions and pulling over into the inside lane.

Aggressive? Maybe, but it sure gets the point across...

Cheers

Mark

I was under the impression that staying in any lane other than the inside was illegal inasmuch as 2nd and 3rd lanes were for overtaking and that if the inner lane is free, you should use it. I could be wrong. I'll check with my granddaughter who is just sitting her driving test! I think the main problem with people selfishly hogging the centre lane, is that it makes it more difficult for someone trying to pull out to overtake slower traffic. As for the smug self satisfaction of people sitting at below the limit in the centre lane when the inner lane is empty - words fail me! Nothing personal in these observations, you understand!
Cheers,
Jim

People at the store counting their money to buy their goods only to fine they have to little(not enough to purchase)get their credit card out,rejected,then want to pass a personel check...really??While I am two guys back from forever..The people in front of me have tried to buy everything in the store ,baskets overflowing,then they get out another stores coupons (Matching sales)then they pay with food stamps ,when will I get out of there with my Ice cream??There should be a cash only isle....

Or elderly ladies who won't open their purse till the bill is handed to them then rummage around for the cash, usually followed by remaining in the line whilst they stuff everything back in it again!
They never seem to have the cash to hand.

Roy.

woodbloke":2ckq7fgs said:
Lots of driving comments about folk in the middle lane. However, the legal limit on motorways in the UK is 70mph and 60 on other roads. Assuming that big lorries sit in the nearside lane at 55mph (which is the most fuel efficient speed) around about 60ish seems to be a good speed to sit in the middle lane...irritating I know, but that's what I do. That leaves the speed merchants the outside lane to go past at 70, or does everyone admit to breaking the law? - Rob

as a driver of HGVs we dont sit at 55mph because it is the most fuel efficient speed (unless we are owner drivers, somebody else is paying for the fuel anyway)it is because we have limiters fitted to the truck that dont allow us to go any faster than 56mph despite the legal limit for an HGV on a motorway being 60mph. how many members on here who drive a transit sized vehicle realise that the speed limit for them on A roads is 50mph and on dual carriageways 60mph not the 60mph on other roads as stated above

You guys need to chill out a bit, seem to be getting your knickers in a twist over nothing.

However, don't get me going about dog pooh on pavements

Driving in the middle lane is not illegal.
From the highway code:

238. You should drive in the left-hand lane if the road ahead is clear. If you are overtaking a number of slower moving vehicles it may be safer to remain in the centre or outer lanes until the manoeuvre is completed rather than continually changing lanes. Return to the left-hand lane once you have overtaken all the vehicles or if you are delaying traffic behind you. Slow moving or speed restricted vehicles should always remain in the left-hand lane of the carriageway unless overtaking. You MUST NOT drive on the hard shoulder except in an emergency or if directed to do so by signs.

However you should return to the inside lane if there are no slow moving vehicles. ( Which there nearly always are!)
The outside lane is described as an overtaking lane only but not the central lane. So middle lane hoggers are not breaking the law but could be open to police action if the inside lane is clear.
Staying in the outside lane is illegal.

70 on motorways only yet most think dual carriageways are 70 too. (60 mph) There is confusionand many police officers I have asked seem to think 70 is the standard maximum on all but A roads. (60)

The highway code is a bit vague about middle lane driving legalities.

Aldel

Hang on a minute!!!!! Don't put your copy of the highway code away just yet.......

The national speed limit applies to duel carriageways unless otherwise stated, and that is 70!

Surely?

Mike

The national speed limit applies to duel carriageways unless otherwise stated, and that is 70!

Correct Mike. Around here with elderly ladies up front, about 35!

Roy.

A dual carriage way is defined by a barrier or curb in between the lanes of traffic travelling in opposite directions, ie Central reservation on a motorway, hedge or raised curb on an A road. On these dual carriage ways the national speed limit is 70 MPH unless marked otherwise. This is a very relevant factor, as if there is no barrier the speed limit is 60 MPH.

Handed to me by someone who had to attend a speed awareness course for doing 70 on a local dual carriageway and a favourite haunt of the radar revenue vans.

take care! :D

Mike Garnham":rabi9ku6 said:
Hang on a minute!!!!! Don't put your copy of the highway code away just yet.......

Surely?

Mike

In a car yes, but I mentioned in a transit size van then it is 60mph. One of our staff got nicked in our transit for 70 on a dual carriageway.

I recall having this discussion at work a few years ago....

My thinking was that a dual carriageway was 70, but another lad was adamant that it was in fact 60, 'unless otherwise stated' .....
I seem to remember being adamant that I was right - only to learn I was wrong. ... I think he produced a highway code book at the time...

From memory - he'd said that the only 'statutory 70' was a motorway..
( which can indeed sometimes be only 2 lanes.. the M90 being a good example )... and that a dual carriage way, despite having 2 lanes, was classified as an A-Road, and therefore subject to a 60mph limit.

The discussion now has me wondering again !
worthy of a check ? :?: ?

People who can always get it cheaper than you..
That self satisfying smugness they get in telling you, you should
ave gone to X shop as it is cheaper or!.. or! they know a mate who
could have got one cheaper if you'd asked..

Something that I have recently noticed & now irrationally makes me furious :twisted:

You know those yellow diversion signs?
They often refer to "HGV's" - Hello, you dumb cretins in the Transport Ministry: there is no f***ing apostrophe !!!!!!

aldel":3ckgmhxm said:
Driving in the middle lane is not illegal.
From the highway code:

238. You should drive in the left-hand lane if the road ahead is clear. If you are overtaking a number of slower moving vehicles it may be safer to remain in the centre or outer lanes until the manoeuvre is completed rather than continually changing lanes. Return to the left-hand lane once you have overtaken all the vehicles or if you are delaying traffic behind you. Slow moving or speed restricted vehicles should always remain in the left-hand lane of the carriageway unless overtaking. You MUST NOT drive on the hard shoulder except in an emergency or if directed to do so by signs.

However you should return to the inside lane if there are no slow moving vehicles. ( Which there nearly always are!)
The outside lane is described as an overtaking lane only but not the central lane. So middle lane hoggers are not breaking the law but could be open to police action if the inside lane is clear.
Staying in the outside lane is illegal.

70 on motorways only yet most think dual carriageways are 70 too. (60 mph) There is confusionand many police officers I have asked seem to think 70 is the standard maximum on all but A roads. (60)

The highway code is a bit vague about middle lane driving legalities.

Aldel

I have to admit that, on a 3 lane motorway, I usually drive in the middle lane.

My two main reasons for doing this are (1) the left is usually full of lorries and (2) the left lane is usually so badly damaged by said lorries as to render it unusable to anything but these lorries.

Having said this, it's not usually me that's holding people up!!

Back