1.1 - Wadkin RS Lathe ¦¦ Elephants Foot + Tool Rest

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnerH

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Here we go!

On Friday I decided to get started with the refurbishment,

First on the deck, the elephants foot and the tool rest,

Elephant Foot_Full.JPG

First job, get the tool rest out, this was tricky as the tool rest hadn't been removed from the holder in a VERY long time, it was genuinely stuck and after unscrewing the fastener it just didn't budge, like... at all..

What to do? Well, I slathered WD40 on the sides, the underneath's, the tops, the everything around the stem, leaving it overnight to think about it's sins.

Next day came in and repeated the process.... more WD40...

On day 2, after clearing the back of my garage (it was on the to-do list for the weekend), I decided to come in and start tapping it on both sides with a rubber mallet, right to left, left to right, it began loosening up, until finally,

Tah... Dah..

Tool_Out.JPG

After this everything else came out nicely,

all_dissasembled.JPG

Everything looks in ok nick, I'll probably put all the small pieces through the dip (term I coined when I talk bout the electrolysis jig/tank I've been using for a few years now to remove rust and paint, prepping metal for coting and painting).

As for the stem et al, I'll probably have to it through the rotation steel brush and/or paint stripper (if anyone has any good ideas as to what paint stripper to use for this kind of iron, suggest are welcome!)

Top looks like,

top.JPG

Main body,

stem.JPG

foot.JPG

inside.JPG

Here we go... all stripped and reading for paint removal and prep...

Attachments

• foot.JPG
    foot.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Moving on...

Welcome to the dip,

The_Drip_ToolRest.JPG
battery_Charger.JPG

Which after 12h produced this,

Tool_Rest_PostDip.JPG

and after wire wheeling,

post_wirewheel.jpg
posy_wirewheeltop.jpg

Which is not bad at all, now...

The next challenge is unscrewing those flat screws which at the moment are seized to high heaven (any ideas?). Currently bathed in WD40, I'm going to let it sit and see if something get's through the threads...

Next on the dip,

tool holder dip.jpg
Tool Holder Dip - all.jpg

The Elephant's Foot tool rest holder....

More to come...

Last edited:
Do you need to unscrew them, or just really want to? I have before spent hours, perhaps days, trying to ‘fix something’ that was only broken in my head!

Do you need to unscrew them, or just really want to? I have before spent hours, perhaps days, trying to ‘fix something’ that was only broken in my head!
Well, yes and no...

Is it broken? No... Does it need fixing? The screw could to with a Polish re-work...

But more than anything it all needs powder coating for long life.

With that being said there was liquid coming out from in-between the contact surfaces which makes me believe its not completely flush, which does bother me and more importantly could lead to corrosion in time.

But yes good point well made.

The big flat screws are 3/8" bsw countersunk if you get stuck for these i have box full of them 1-1/2" long which you would able to cut to the length required regards Stan...

Welcome to the dip,

View attachment 178986View attachment 178987

View attachment 178988

and after wire wheeling,

View attachment 178989View attachment 178990

The next challenge is unscrewing those flat screws which at the moment are seized to high heaven (any ideas?). Currently bathed in WD40, I'm going to let it sit and see if something get's through the threads...

Next on the dip,

View attachment 178991View attachment 178992

More to come...

Moving on...

Welcome to the dip,

View attachment 178986View attachment 178987

View attachment 178988

and after wire wheeling,

View attachment 178989View attachment 178990

Next on the dip,

View attachment 178991View attachment 178992

More to come...
Those big flat screws are 3/8" bsw countersunk machine screws if you get stuck for some i have a full box of them but 1-1/2" long which you would be able to cut to your required length regards Stan

Diesel or kerosene is one of the best penetrating fluids.just submerge and wait. It also removed gunk ready for electrolysis. You can use it instead of water / washing soda….. spark erosion uses kerosene. I don’t mix it with ATF as that makes a good paint stripper and often I’m just getting things apart.

Penetrating fluid does not always get the job done, so then it’s time for either percussion or heat. Just be careful to warm up cast iron evenly or it can crack.
Percussion often works, a friend gave me a percussion screwdriver. You hit it with a hammer and it turns the screw slightly at the instant of the impact. Very very effective. Alternatively an impact driver is also you friend.

Those big flat screws are 3/8" bsw countersunk machine screws if you get stuck for some i have a full box of them but 1-1/2" long which you would be able to cut to your required length regards Stan
Really appreciate the offer @schnapps95, see if I can manage to get them off with needing to replace them :)

Diesel or kerosene is one of the best penetrating fluids.just submerge and wait. It also removed gunk ready for electrolysis. You can use it instead of water / washing soda….. spark erosion uses kerosene. I don’t mix it with ATF as that makes a good paint stripper and often I’m just getting things apart.

Penetrating fluid does not always get the job done, so then it’s time for either percussion or heat. Just be careful to warm up cast iron evenly or it can crack.
Percussion often works, a friend gave me a percussion screwdriver. You hit it with a hammer and it turns the screw slightly at the instant of the impact. Very very effective. Alternatively an impact driver is also you friend.
@deema,

Electrolysis in my experience usually gets rid of gunk (at least the majority and sometimes paint), I'm concern about using these sorts of flammable liquids.

I understand the appeal et al but ultimately how do I then dispose of them? The thought of keeping those liquids around in storage doesn't appeal to me given my experience and ADR training :)

Great idea on the percussion screwdriver, just need to find one to give it a go.

Last edited:
Well, yes and no...

Is it broken? No... Does it need fixing? The screw could to with a Polish re-work...

But more than anything it all needs powder coating for long life.

With that being said there was liquid coming out from in-between the contact surfaces which makes me believe its not completely flush, which does bother me and more importantly could lead to corrosion in time.

But yes good point well made.
I would avoid powder coating. Any subsequent damage is not easy to repair and any moisture will eventually get under the thin plastic coat and lift it, as will oil. Good old paint is far better, and cheaper too.

Plus Gas every time on small stuff. If you need to soak then I'm with Deema diesel or paraffin. I use evaporust for little bits, just find it easier to chuck them in a jar.

Latest posts

Back