What is the best Emulsion paint ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ollie78

Established Member
Reaction score
I am about to repaint our house again. Just white matt emulsion is what we have used before but it gets so grimy with the kids I am looking for a better more cleanable emulsion.
The first time we did it we used the Dulux trade matt and it was ok but didn`t like being wiped at all, last time I tried Crown trade scrubbable matt which was very expensive and only slightly better.

Perhaps I need to go with a more shiny silk finish for more wipeability but the problem is our plastering is not amazing and it will show this up more than the matt.
I have discovered it is impossible to stop the kids touching the walls so I need a paint with some defence.

Has anyone found a wonder paint they would recommend ?

Ollie

Head for a Johnstones decorating centre and get their decent emulsion, the acrylic durable matt. It cost a little more than the cheap stuff but goes on nice and is a tough finish.

I specify a lot of decorating. We use Caparol Amphibolin for general hard wearing paintwork and Isomat Kitchen and bathroom if we need mould resisting paint. Both from Paintshack.
https://paintshack.co.uk/collections/caparol-products/products/amphibolin
https://paintshack.co.uk/products/i...uld-matt-emulsion?_pos=1&_sid=4040440c1&_ss=r
It can be mixed to any colour and I think unbeatable. Very ‘dense’ with amazing coverage.

Thanks, this is what I was hoping for, I have never heard of that brand before but it sounds promising.

Ollie

I painted the wall behind my kitchen sink with dulux easy-care kitchen, and it's impressively wipeable, and still respectably matt looking.

It's a bit spendy, but I'm pretty happy with how easily I've removed dirty marks, splashes from washing up etc. You can use it over a generic emulsion and it should create wipeable to coat.

Others are far better suited to recommend a good emulsion to use, at present But an old painter/decorator friend of mine used to bemoan the fact that, you no sooner hit upon a really excellent paint to use, than they change the recipe. And, you have to start looking all over again.

A few options to check out here. I watched a video of the Caparol amphibolin and it did look super thick as the guy covered over some black with white. This could be a good idea as I may get away with one coat ( wishful thinking maybe ).

I have never used an oil based eggshell before but have witnessed many decorators moan about eggshell on trim and woodwork.

Might have to get some test pots of a few options.

Ollie

I've been dissappointed by both Dulux and Crown in the last few years and use Leyland in my rentals. Difficult to beat oil based Jonstones white gloss but leyland white water based gloss/satin dries quickly enough to go round a room again if needed which usually means I can do a rental redecorate in a single visit.
If you want colours, then decorator centres will oftern offer a service to mix a trade paint to "emulate" colours off any main brand colour charts

If you want good coverage and speed on woodwork etc. use Bedec MSP. Brilliant stuff. I painted bare facias white, three well thinned coats in an afternoon. Most of what we use now is Armstead, but Johnstone's do some excelent paints. Their oil based masonry paint is better imo than Weathershield oil based.

Used both Crown Clean Extreme and McPherson Durable Matt and find them both easy to apply and long lasting. My own house is Clean Extreme throughout and it's great being able to wipe the walls down.

We had similar problems when the kids were young.

I found the best solution was every couple of months to wander round the house, paint brush and pot in hand, and simply cover the evidence. The process is made easier if you have only one or two paint colours throughout the house - different colour paint in each room takes a bit longer.

Would recommend the following (based on recent use):

If he budget allows:
Benjamin Moore scuff x
Great coverage, easy to work with and super hard wearing.

Alternatives:
Johnstone trade acrylic durable Matt
Good coverage , need to water it down 10% to make it easier to work with. Good durability.

Dulux trade vinyl Matt
Good coverage, easy to work with.

Avoid any of the Wickes branded stuff, recently used the Wickes trade brilliant white matt and it's got horrible coverage.

Also avoid the DIY range of paints, they are designed to be thicker and have more fillers and less pigments in.

Would recommend the following (based on recent use):

If he budget allows:
Benjamin Moore scuff x
Great coverage, easy to work with and super hard wearing.

Alternatives:
Johnstone trade acrylic durable Matt
Good coverage , need to water it down 10% to make it easier to work with. Good durability.

Dulux trade vinyl Matt
Good coverage, easy to work with.

Avoid any of the Wickes branded stuff, recently used the Wickes trade brilliant white matt and it's got horrible coverage.

Also avoid the DIY range of paints, they are designed to be thicker and have more fillers and less pigments in.
Crickey that Benjamin Moore stuff is a bit expensive but it does make some strong claims, if it can do well in a school hallway then it should be ok in the house.
When thinking about the cost I am trying to balance it with the time taken to do the work which we have to do in sections and move everything about, I think we only did it 3 years ago. So if the paint costs double but lasts twice as long then its fine.
I certainly won`t use Dulux trade again and was a bit disapointed with the Crown trade stuff too.

We had similar problems when the kids were young.

I found the best solution was every couple of months to wander round the house, paint brush and pot in hand, and simply cover the evidence. The process is made easier if you have only one or two paint colours throughout the house - different colour paint in each room takes a bit longer.
This is what we have done a bit, also why everything is just white.
Trouble is now we have a sort of variegated patchwork of slightly more or less grubby bits so its going to have to be done all over this time.
I did consider a battleship grey colour to hide the grime better but it`s probably a bit depressing:)

Ollie

Fenwick and Tilbrook do some great paints, great coverage you normally need less coats as it covers well!! We have used there clay paint on our lime plaster walls and there standard emulsion on our new extension in gypsum plaster

I've just used Dulux Trade White Matt in the whole house. There was some discounts on Dulux Decorator Centre and they delivered it super fast.
It was my first time painting ceilings and walls and despite watching countless youtube tutorials and following their tips, I still got streaks with different textures. In some places it's smooth and in some places it looks like the wall absorbed more paint and it's porous. Bear in mind, the wall was already painted in white from before, so I used two coats.
I still don't know what I did wrong. I sanded the wall before the first coat and sanded the imperfections in between coats. I used a medium pile roller and then changed to a Prodec Ice fusion roller, but I got the same result.
If you have any idea what went wrong, I'm still curious to find out for a next time.

Back