Advice on paint sprayers for emulsion paint

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The beauty of HVLP is the lack of overspray, which translates to less masking, I have used a hand held board on one side to cover an architrave/skirting/coving/ceiling and sprayed the wall, pressure at the nozzle is at the most 10psi, less bounce back and more accurate, it is worth investigating.

HVLP will give the smoothest finish and also less overspray, less overspray means most of the paint goes where you point it and not wasted in other parts of the room.

There is a thread here: HVLP Sprayers investigation and review

The whole point of combined masking tape and paper rolls or combined masking tape and polythene is that you do the job once. With the brown paper version it comes in various widths which you fold out when in position. Same is true with the poly version.
No doubt about the convenience\time factor. The thing you don't get is the control: over the choice\tackiness of the tape, the width of paper (I only needed as 12" inch roll) and similar.

Admittedly I prefer(red) the control. :) Others will prefer convenience - so everyone is a winner.

We moved into our house last year and wanted to redecorate each room. I used a Wagner W690 to spray all the walls and ceilings in the house, excluding the bathroom and kitchen. I'm rubbish at painting - particularly cutting in, hence the appeal of spraying to me. We decided to paint all the rooms white - walls and ceilings. In short, this worked very well for us, and I'd do it again over rollering. I'll give some more detail below.

We took all the doors off, stuck down floor protecting polythene, and masked off all the windows, woodwork and electricals with the rolls of brown paper edged with masking tape. It took me about 45 mins to get each room set up. The stairwell and landing was tricker to mask, and took a bit longer.

Spraying the first bedroom was tricky - working out the right combination of air, paint, and paint viscosity. The first practice wall needed rubbing down a bit and redoing to get a decent finish. However, after the learning curve, I could put a coat on a rooms walls and ceiling in about 20 mins, which was faster and less tiring than rollering would be for me. Each room got 3 coats, except one wall that was previously painted dark navy, which took 5 to cover. Having got into the swing of things, downstairs was pretty easy, and I got 3 coats on the living and dining room done in one day, whilst doing some other bits in between coats. I'm happy with the finish, it was better than I would have managed with a roller, and I think saved me quite a bit of time.

The landing, stairwell, and downstairs corridoor were, in comparison, a pain to spray. It was cumbersome and awkward trying to get the gun into the right position to spray, and to keep the movement steady enough to get a good finish. That might just be my lack of skill with it, but it was by far the most frustrating part.

If you are spraying different rooms, or different walls within a room, different colors, then the workload increases quickly - there's a lot more masking and cleaning of the sprayer to do. The sprayer has since been useful for refinishing some garden furniture and other little projects. I'm happy with it and think it was worth the ~£150 we paid for it.

Dibs-h,
I bought a range of paper and poly masking rolls. The paper was a choice od four widths 3-12". The poly also came in various. There are also variation in the type of masking tape (interioor/exterior etc.). As to p-2-Dave's ? on time. Without having to faff about attaching bits of paper etc. it is very quick. The poly you tape it into place and then fold down the sheeting so again quick and convenient.

One other advantage of HVLP is the warmth of the air through the gun it accelerates the drying process, when I sprayed our wardrobe doors I was able to coat almost continuously from end of the door to the other, so very quick for consecutive coats, on a wall it would be even quicker.

Dibs-h,
I bought a range of paper and poly masking rolls. The paper was a choice od four widths 3-12". The poly also came in various. There are also variation in the type of masking tape (interioor/exterior etc.). As to p-2-Dave's ? on time. Without having to faff about attaching bits of paper etc. it is very quick. The poly you tape it into place and then fold down the sheeting so again quick and convenient.
I managed with single large roll of 12" wide paper but I think I spent perhaps too much time in a car body shop, years back, with the painters and picked up their habits. :D

Always more than one way to skin a cat*. LOL

As for Dave's comment - say 30 mins masking a room and then 20-30 mins to give the room several coats of paint and 15 mins the day after to unmask, there's no way I know of to paint a room (say 5m x 5m and 2.7m high) by hand in a time frame anywhere close.

I suppose it's a bit like (dare I say) machine cut dovetails vs hand cut. :oops::D

[* - no animals were harmed in this production.]

Dibs-h
Totally agree. I built a pair of three bedroom cottages and thought building/finishing two would be easier but it wasn't, evrything you needed was always (sod'd law) on the upper floor of the other semi. Spraying was the only practical way and the repetitive nature of masking made you quite an expert (well quick). The worst part was the inset ceiling lights, which had to be unplugged and then the hole masked in before spraying. The most awkward were the staircase walls as difficult to erect staging and keep a wet edge, while moving up and down.

Dibs-h
The worst part was the inset ceiling lights, which had to be unplugged and then the hole masked in before spraying. The most awkward were the staircase walls as difficult to erect staging and keep a wet edge, while moving up and down.
I popped them out, there was enough flex behind them to leave them dangling, clear'ish carrier bag over them, bit of tape at the top and painted over\around them. LOL

They were LED, so had them on whilst painting. :D

Back