Good patio / moss cleaner

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjgtech

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi peeps, I've been meaning to clean the patio, over the winter is has gone a tad green with some moss and mould etc.
Its Indian sandstone type paving slabs, generally grey. Its quite a large area about 18m x 3m so about 54sqm
After googling a bit, I found this, Spear and Jackson Spray and Leave which states no sweeping / scrubbing required, and claims to remove moss, algae, mould, etc.

spray and leave.jpg

I was a bit dubious TBH, and thought I would probably have to get the jet wash or broom out, but no! It did actually work, I did just spray it and leave it and it has indeed got rid of the mould, etc and is now back to grey again with the green sections removed, so i am very happy with this product and can highly recommend it. (y)

It claims to treat only about 3-6sqm per litre, so one 4L tub will do about 24sqm, and I did in fact use two full tubs on my 50+sqm patio. I used an electric sprayer (Rhyobi) but it comes with its own little spray and nozzle.

You do need to be patient, it says in the instructions that it can take 3-5 days I think from memory.
I treated late on Wednesday afternoon/early evening and I'd say after the first 24 hours about 80% of the algae, mould, etc had gone, but by the 2nd day (today) it has pretty much all gone. I think it claims to keep mould, etc away for about 3 - 6 months, but we'll see. It does say to treat again if its a really bad / heavy mould infestation, etc, but one treatment seems to have got rid of mine.
Wish I had taken before and after photos now, but I did not think to do that! :(

Don't apply in hot sun as it will evaporate and don't apply when rain is due as it will just wash away, it needs to sit and do its thing for couple of days.
As stated above, happy with it and can recommend it. :)

The only thing I have ever used on algae, be it on decking, outside walls or now my Devon green patio is bleach and water. 1 part bleach to 4 parts water, spray it on, leave 24 hrs, repeat if needed and then hose of with a broom. It has always worked.

Colin

Yeah, didn't look, but the ingredients are probably bleach based. Didn't require washing off and sweeping though, it was literally spray and leave, nice and easy. Cheers

Having a pressure washer with an in built detergent bottle, I just fill it with cheapo thick bleach, set pressure to low by leaving lance off, or set to low pressure output. This automatically meters the bleach. Sprayed all over my patio flags first, left it 30 mins, then pressure wash off using the round patio cleaner attachment, it minimises bleach solution splashback.

Worked a treat this week. SWMBO very impressed 👏

Somewhere on the label it will probably list a quartenary ammonium compound, such as ddac. I use these at work to keep paved areas safe and they work brilliantly. One word of caution, don't let dogs on it until it's truly dry as I have heard of some having nasty reactions to it

Stuart from Proper DIY youtube channel published a comparison of various chemicals and a pressure washer.

Somewhere on the label it will probably list a quartenary ammonium compound, such as ddac. I use these at work to keep paved areas safe and they work brilliantly. One word of caution, don't let dogs on it until it's truly dry as I have heard of some having nasty reactions to it
MMC Pro is a similar product with quartenary ammonium compound, e.g. ddac. An annual treatment has kept our sandstone & brick paving free of ‘green’.

QAC‘s have been removed from use in commercial food manufacture due the the adverse effects on effluent treatment…..use with care

White vinegar is great to remove moss, just give it a soak and a few days later you can sweep it up. You can use malt vinegar as it works the same but just depends if you want the area to smell like a fish & chip shop.

Last edited:
10% of the price and 200% more effort, at my age I can't spare any effort to pump up a sprayer when I can just switch it on. 🤔

Back