Pet hates.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's one for Dragon's Den, Tom ! ...
I can see it now.. Wizer's Pavement Code. :D

... safe stopping distance in trainers,
... safe stopping distance in Brogues,

But in truth, thats not a bad concept ...

what about this one....
stupid women, often with a buggy in the equation, getting to the top or bottom of escalators in shopping centres, and stopping within two feet of exiting the escalator, to gaze around looking for 'whateverys', or the body shop.. thus causing utter chaos and blind panic behind them on the 'moving stairs' ...

now that RREALLLLLY grinds my gears :wink: 8) 8) 8)

What's worse is normal people, obviously on their way home from work, walking down the escalators and then stopping at the bottom for the last foot, gingerly stepping off as if it was going to eat them alive! This has a knock on effect and eventually will grind the 'walking side' of the escalator to a halt!

Blimey! I really started something with my OP didn't I!?

Roy.

I've said this before and I make no apology but I really can't stand it when people say "would of, could of, should of, might of" etc. The word is "have" not "of"!
And what about "your" when what is meant is "you're, as in "you are". This is just basic English being mutilated!
While I am at it what is the justification for "Man United"? Can't people manage another two syllables? This is just laziness or score-board speak as far as I can tell. "Man U" I can accept because the whole thing is a contraction but to leave the majority of a city's name off is just laziness in the extreme. Try asking for a train ticket to Man and see what you get!
OK, I feel better now!
Cheers,

SF

Pet hates? Pet hates? I have just changed mine, now it is my effing toaster! Bluddy expensive Dualit one bought for us as a wedding present, and since the day we got it we have never managed to get the settings right.

Somewhere between setting 2 & 3 there is a microscopic 'sweet spot' which must be right, but I'm damned if I can find it! My toast has to go in for two passes, first one is as if it's been on a radiator for 5 minutes, then unless you are standing over it, the second pass comes out as charcoal!

Grrrrrr, I would do better with a fork and a candle!"

Mark

What I hate is the term 'entry level' to describe anything cheap and rubbish.

my pet hate is people who troll on forums and spoil things for the majority. particularly when they dont actually have the knowledge or interests they purport to have and are soley interested in putting people down or causing aguments.

aldel":2zsfd2cj said:
70 on motorways only yet most think dual carriageways are 70 too. (60 mph) There is confusionand many police officers I have asked seem to think 70 is the standard maximum on all but A roads. (60)

i'm afraid your freind who did a speed awareness course is wrong - from the govt highway code website ( http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTr ... /DG_070304 ) sect 124

national speed limits unless other wise indicated

Cars & motorcycles
(including car-derived vans up to 2 tonnes maximum laden weight)
built up areas 30 (48 )
single carriageways 60 (96)
dual carriageways 70 (112)
motorways 70 (112)

Cars towing caravans or trailers
(including car-derived vans and motorcycles)
built up areas 30 (48 )
single carriageways 50 (80)
dual carriageways 60 (96)
motorways 60 (96)

Goods vehicles
(not exceeding 7.5 tonnes maximum laden weight)
built up areas 30 (48 )
single cariageways 50 (80)
dual carriageways 60 (96)
motorways 70 (112) **

Goods vehicles
(exceeding 7.5 tonnes maximum laden weight)
built up areas 30 (48 )
single cariageways 40 (64)
dual carriageways 50 (80)
motorways 60 (96)

there is somewhat of a grey area between car derived vans and light goods vehicles in that a transit is a light goods vehicle and thus limited to 60 wheras a 4x4 van(like my D22) which is a similar size is considered to be a car derrived van and thus is limited to 70.

I really don't understand how such tiny things described in these posts can wind people up.
Guys just chill out a bit.
If I have an item which winds me up its the PC, seems to have a mind of its own sometimes.

big soft moose":3fpud7d0 said:
my pet hate is people who troll on forums and spoil things for the majority. particularly when they dont actually have the knowledge or interests they purport to have and are soley interested in putting people down or causing aguments.

Ha ha ha .... Moose, thats very subtle, and a cracker ! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

big soft moose":26wdw8pv said:
particularly when they dont actually have the knowledge or interests they purport to have and are soley interested in putting people down or causing aguments.

Ooohh, can you post something like that without naming and shaming.

superfluous road signs is another.
One our local ones warns of 'Dangerous Bend'.
I live in fear of being ravaged by slavering bend!
Perhaps they should say 'Dangerous Curves'. My mum warned me about those!

Roy.

Ironballs":2knh1j2j said:
I have to follow her after every paint job to clean brushes. Apparently wrapping a brush in cling film and leaving it for 2 months is a legitimate alternative to cleaning the paint off and drying. I've given up buying decent quality brushes

My husband has banned me from painting anymore round the house - I seem very good at getting more paint on me than the brush or woodwork!! :)

Digit":2jmitt4b said:

Roy.

and pointless signs of all descriptions especially the badly worded ones

" in case of fire do not use lift" what ? ever ?

Digit":2cfnxpda said:

Roy.
The other one I like is 'Heavy Plant Crossing'...I've always got visions of somebody staggering across the road with a huge turnip in his arms :lol: - Rob

big soft moose":ssiu18z5 said:
Digit":ssiu18z5 said:

Roy.

and pointless signs of all descriptions especially the badly worded ones

" in case of fire do not use lift" what ? ever ?
Badly worded signs in general. There is one in the Gent's at my Watford office which says 'Please leave this facility in the manner you would expect to find it', what, through the door? Do they really expect me to go out through the window?

And if they are talking about the cleanliness state (which is what I suspect, but prefer to go with the first option), then if I walk in there and there is dung smothered all over the walls (which I would not expect to find), am I expected to clean this up? :shock:

Mark

Back