Pet hates.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hate people who drive slowly hogging the middle lane when the inside lane is clear.

I REALLY hate people who drive slowly hogging the middle lane when I'm towing my trailer and they won't budge and I can't get past without breaking the law, so I'm stuck...

The inside lane is the place to be unless there a really good reason not to...

Steve Maskery":1gblca8b said:
They are planning to reduce it further to 50
They've done this on some of the roads near Taunton.
From what I can see while driving on them it's made them no safer, they just take longer.
Personally I'm not convinced that absolute speed kills anyway - it's driving like a complete twit that kills and that won't change whatever the speed limit. The A14 near hasn't got any better since they introduced average speed cameras.

Sounds like just another revenue raising exercise. They'll start charging tolls for all dual carriageways and motorways and then fine us for straying slightly over a speed limit that is too low for the road.

And surely installing more and more of these average speed cameras is an infringement of our civil liberties?

Maybe we'll all have to buy reflective paint for our number plates...

Big Brother here we come.

I don't think I've got any pet hates. Well, apart from:

Two news-readers - why on Earth are they needed? Never mind that we've followed the USA - the question still remains.

The appalling phraseology of so-called "weather presenters," including "spits and spots," "cloud bubbling up," "those temperatures" (temperature is a singular word), "as we go through the day," "if you're heading out" and so on, ad nauseam.

"Over to you, Carol (or Hugh, or whoever)." I don't care who the presenter is, nor do I need, or want, to know their name, thank you.

"Thank you very much indeed," said by the autocue slave in the studio to an OB reporter. Why? - it's their job and they've just delivered a mediocre summary of stuff the studio moron has already outlined. What are you going to say to them if they deliver something really out of the ordinary?

"Still to come ... " Who cares? Just read it. Why to we have to be told what we're to be told, then be told it, then be told what we've been told? I have an attention span slightly exceeding that of an amoeba and I certainly don't need to be told that I'm going to get a weather forecast in 15 minutes. I KNOW where the forecast comes in relation to the overall running order, thanks.

The lack of the most basic and obvious continuity.

Factual errors and fictitious nouns, such as "contains linen extract" or "the scent of diamonds," "Bifidus Actiregularis" (a marketing name, generated by Danone).

"A report to be published tomorrow is expected to say ... " Well, WAIT UNTIL TOMORROW and tell us exactly what it said, that way we'll get news, not speculation. This is becoming so prevalent, I wonder that programme titles are not changed to "The Nine 0'clock Speculation" and "Speculation at Ten."

So, nothing winds me up at all, really. :)

Ray

spooky Ray. I have just been in a particularly famous weather journalist's office. The contrast between the 'TV Face' and the real persona is quite extreme! :shock:

If we're going to talk about the English language Ray the one that really grates on my nerves is the oft repeated mantra on the police programmes of 'I ain't done nuffing!'
Makes me scream every time!

Roy.

Digit":2hs0k52o said:
If we're going to talk about the English language Ray the one that really grates on my nerves is the oft repeated mantra on the police programmes of 'I ain't done nuffing!'
Makes me scream every time!

Roy.
Roy, I think you will find the correct vernacular is 'I ain't done nuffink' ;)

Mark

Or... Language wise -- ,

Why do people, when positioning something , insist on saying 'oriented' .. the word is Orientated !! derived from "Orientation"...

or blah blah etc etc.. for no Pacific reason !! ... ? ? ? ? isn't pacific an ocean ? is 'specific' that difficult a word to get ones head around ?

... and just What on earth is a "Cee-change ?" .. the expression is a Key Change , derived from a musical action of changing key, halfways through a piece of music.

.. ( football commentators mostly )... " Early Doors" ? ... what ?????
'Early Days' yes.. fair enough..

"Loose" means something has become slack in its fit ... 'Lose'
on the other hand, means 'misplaced / lost' etc, or the anthesis of 'win' .. a person of poor fortune, or someone who did not "win" is a 'Loser', not as is seen often, a 'Looser'...

Grrrr.. I have only a very basic education.. but I do have a reasonable grasp on the Queen's english.. its not hard !! :wink: :twisted: :D

Jenx":25eu6t15 said:
Why do people, when positioning something , insist on saying 'oriented' .. the word is Orientated !! derived from "Orientation"...
Hi Alun

I agree with all the others, but oriented is valid, it is the adjective, meaning to have physical orientation. But that doesn't get away from the fact that people often use it in the wrong context. ;)

Hopefully that doesn't come across as too pedantic or @rsey, so I put a little :wink: at the end.

I get particularly annoyed with the specific/pacific one, one of my bosses used to do this all the time, along with necessarily/nececellery :D

Cheers

Mark

Jenx":1s6roblj said:
difficult a word to get ones head around ?

:D :D :D :D ...........Yep, that's one of mine!!

"At the end of the day"..........& "you know what I mean", as well as the rising interrogative intonation of Ozzies, slipping in over here as a result of Australian soap operas.

Mike

Mike Garnham":1b7koj8q said:
Jenx":1b7koj8q said:
difficult a word to get ones head around ?

:D :D :D :D ...........Yep, that's one of mine!!

"At the end of the day"..........& "you know what I mean", as well as the rising interrogative intonation of Ozzies, slipping in over here as a result of Australian soap operas.

Mike

:p :p :p :p

And people who go 'up' in the voice inflection at the end of their sentences ? whats the script with that !!! :p :p :p :p

Jenx":30nqbxft said:
:D :D :D :D :D
We're slowly turning into Walter Matthau's, Mark :D :D
Grumpy old men :D :D :D

How's the house working out ? .. and more specifically, the heating ?
8) 8) 8)
:D I've been a grumpy git since the day I was born :D

Heating is great apart from I seem to be losing pressure steadily over a couple of months until it reaches zero, then the upstairs rads seem to get air in and only heat half way up. Every couple of months I need to fill up the overflow then bleed the rads and it works fine again for a while, still very slowly losing system pressure.

I'm assuming this must mean I have a leak somewhere but I can't for the life of me work out where it could be. Unless it is the under floor heating in the cellar, but if so then how the hell do I check without ripping up the floor? :(

Mark

Jenx":2gt86nz0 said:
:D :D :D :D :D
We're slowly turning into Walter Matthau's, Mark :D :D
Grumpy old men :D :D :D

How's the house working out ? .. and more specifically, the heating ?
8) 8) 8)
When was it ever slow? :lol: and I hate that rising intonation at the end of a scentence as well :evil:...send it back to Oz! - Rob

Jenx":2nxjl42l said:
... and just What on earth is a "Cee-change ?"
I think you'll find what is referred to is a "sea change."

"A radical, and apparently mystical, change."

Origin: From Shakespeare's The Tempest, 1610:

ARIEL [sings]:
Full fathom five thy father lies;
Of his bones are coral made;
Those are pearls that were his eyes:
Nothing of him that doth fade
But doth suffer a sea-change
Into something rich and strange.

Oo-er, hark at me! :)

Ray.

Mike, yes we are ! :p -- you know what its like, once the rant-head goes on ! :p :p

Ray .. I'm corrected once again ! heh heh :p :p :p

Mark ...
if the pressure loss is so gradual, its quite feasible that you're experiencing what's termed 'micro-leakage', where air gets drawn in, and yet no water-leakage is evident. The large nuts that secure a pump into the line are particularly guilty of being a source of this.

Other possibility is that the loss is so slight, that evaporation ( due in some small part to the heating being 'on') removes all visible evidence before you can get to detecting it.
As you say, in the absence of tearing half the house down, it could be a tricky one to get to the bottom of...
Over how long a period would you say this loss in pressure is taking place ? ... and what are you losing, pressure wise ? from 1 bar down to what, say half a bar , over a month ? ....
Will try and help if I can 8) 8) 8)

When you travel on public transport for over 3hrs a day, you build up a whole host of Pet Hates.

One that really gets up my nose on the tubes (or rather in the stations) is people's inability to use common sense and walk on the left. You are in a rush, get half way down a corridor and a hundred people flood off a train and you are left trying to weave in an out of them to get where your going. Another prime example of this is Oxford St or any large shopping centre. God forbid if you want to just get from one end to the other quickly!

I think more should be done in the way of educating the public on how to act when in public. A kind of highway code for people on foot.

Back