Pear Veneered MDF

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fecn

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm after a little Pear Veneered MDF to make a headboard from - My local place Richard Russel doesn't seem to stock it - Googling, I found a place in Enfield which does... Does anyone know of anything in South London/North Surrey.

Cheers, Fecn.

Fenc, have you spoken to RR, they only stock the common boards which are listed on their web site but they can get boards veneered for you, they have a large folder on their sales desk showing all the veneers if I remember rightly. Pear veneered boards are unlikely to be off the shelf from anyone.

If you want something off the shelf then RR do "swiss pear " MFC which I have used in the past.

Jason

lurker":y3mbsmia said:
Does wood veneered MDF exist?
All I've ever seen is chip board

Yep and available a few miles from you in Leicester from Shires and Millingtons (I have had Ash and Oak veneered MDF from both of them)

lurker":3tp7x127 said:
Does wood veneered MDF exist?
All I've ever seen is chip board
Yep - I used to use oak, steamed beech, whire beech and maple quite a lot. Generally it's a trade product so you need to find a trade supplier such as Montague L. Meyer, Silvermann, Lawcris, etc

Scrit

Alsford Timber have branches all over the S.E. including Cobham and Surbiton. They do veneered MDF in a variety of species but Pear isn't one of the listed ones - worth a phonecall to see if they can get it I would have thought. You will of course have to buy a whole 8' x 4' sheet, but I expect that will apply everywhere.

Wow.. an abundance of replies since I last checked in :) - Thanks all.

jasonB":ej5j9w6t said:
Fenc, have you spoken to RR, they only stock the common boards which are listed on their web site but they can get boards veneered for you, they have a large folder on their sales desk showing all the veneers if I remember rightly. Pear veneered boards are unlikely to be off the shelf from anyone.

If you want something off the shelf then RR do "swiss pear " MFC which I have used in the past.

Jason

Thanks Jason - I spend so much of my time doing Internet things, I never actually think to phone people anymore. MFC would probably be fine too since there's only going to be one side on display - I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that the interior of the motorhome is MFC and not Veneered MDF at all - My dad is far from being expert in such matters, and all I have to go on so far is his decription over the phone.

Woody Alan pointed me to SL Hardwoods who do sell the veneer, but never having done veneering before, I didn't fancy my first attempt being on something so large. If I can get RR to do the veneering for me, then it's got to be a winning option.

I actually paid RR a visit last week to buy some MDF - They were very nice and ran an extension lead through the window and let me use a bit of their car park so I could saw it up to fit in my wagon. Since they were nice to me last time, I'm happy to buy from them again.

Latest posts

Back