Paul, his version of sharpening

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No difference in knowledge acquisition, vast difference in required physical aptitude.
You don't have to be Grinling Gibbons to cut dovetails by hand. In fact anybody can do it if they choose. A few hours of practice and you are off.
One trick is that it's actually easier freehand as you don't have to follow guide lines, but you can mark in positions if you want them neat and tidy.
It's just a simple procedure and getting your eye in.

it's odd because its the challenge that appeals.
i have learnt and continue to learn a lot from PS / RC / ME
career stages of establishment advancement maintenance and withdrawal may be at play here
if i ever become that good at anything some arrogance may also come hand in hand. good job then eh!

You don't have to be Grinling Gibbons to cut dovetails by hand. In fact anybody can do it if they choose. A few hours of practice and you are off.
One trick is that it's actually easier freehand as you don't have to follow guide lines, but you can mark in positions if you want them neat and tidy.
It's just a simple procedure and getting your eye in.
I agree and I do hand cut dovetails, I don’t own a jig. My point was there is a degree of muscle memory involved in sawing to a line, using a chisel etc. It’s certainly not difficult but it is an acquired skill, unlike clamping a jig and letting it guide the tool.
This was brought home to me a few months ago when I showed my son in law how to cope a skirting board. He was incapable of using a hand saw to saw to a line. He will get there with repetition but as he works in banking he may never be able to just pick up a saw and cut where he wants. Contrast that to him helping to instal a cabinet a week or two later where he got to use a track saw and he was making perfect cuts right from the get go.

But if you'd done it by hand you would be an expert by the end of it, and charging more for your products.
OK if you work in London, or have rich clients - its always a case of who you know, but most small towns or cities, you're lucky to get minimum wage.
Vocations like furniture making dont always pay well.

Even in London it's rare to get someone who's willing to just pay what you ask. People are better off doing repairs and saving the bespoke stuff for themselves.

A friend asked me to make her a small box with dovetailed corners. I used my jig and router. It took me a few hours, looks perfect and she’s delighted with it. I made my granddaughter a small box with hand cut dovetails. It took me a week, I can see some imperfections in it and she is delighted with it. I enjoyed making both. 😀

A friend asked me to make her a small box with dovetailed corners. I used my jig and router. It took me a few hours, looks perfect and she’s delighted with it. I made my granddaughter a small box with hand cut dovetails. It took me a week, I can see some imperfections in it and she is delighted with it. I enjoyed making both. 😀
Sums it up perfectly Keith. All that matters is that the maker enjoys making it and the user is happy with the end product.

Afraid so

Screenshot 2023-03-18 at 13.42.37.png

Even in London it's rare to get someone who's willing to just pay what you ask. People are better off doing repairs and saving the bespoke stuff for themselves.
Appearing in one of these tv 'best woodworker' programs would go a long way to getting your name out there. It really is a case of who you know.
Up here we've got the Scottish furniture makers association, which has both new makers as well as long established names.

Eg. A chap from the same workshop as myself.
https://www.scottishfurnituremakers.org.uk/makers/eoghannmenziesdesign/

Last edited:
Appearing in one of these tv 'best woodworker' programs would go a long way to getting your name out there. It really is a case of who you know.
Up here we've got the Scottish furniture makers association, which has both new makers as well as long established names.

Eg. A chap from the same workshop as myself.
https://www.scottishfurnituremakers.org.uk/makers/eoghannmenziesdesign/
Just went for a look at his site..j'adore :) especially the fact that he does his own copper and glass work too.Very nice designs .

OT, amazing try by your guy at the end of the match.

Last edited:
It doesn't actually say that.
looks to be the same hand carves the wood , works the copper and glass..the young man's site says under "see my process"
In addition to Eoghann's College & University studies, Eoghann has studied the architecture and design of the 19th & 20th Century through his travels throughout Europe, North America, Asia and Australia. During that time photographing and compiling a collection of Arts and Crafts, Jungendstil, Art Nouveau and Art Deco details and styles, to further broaden the inspiration and scope of his designs.

@TRITON , can you confirm ?

Back