Paul, his version of sharpening

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn’t get the
You’ll never need a grinder again, then he goes on to say you need to grind out big chips & then again says you’ll never need a grinder again
Presumably that is until you get another big chip 🤷‍♂️

Also has he never heard of wet grinders, I’ve never blued the end of a chisel on my Tormek

Seems pretty straightforward to me.
Modern sharpeners won't like it of course - it's too simple.
What he calls a "cambered" bevel I call a convex bevel.
He says you never need a grindstone again but probably means you can manage without one, which is true, but he isn't such a purist as to say that you shouldn't use one, if available.
There's no great urgency about grinding nicks out of plane blades or chisels as (within reason) they'll work perfectly well, unless you are finishing with the tool, which you rarely do with a chisel, though you may want to plane a fine finish.

Last edited:
He finds himself in a difficult position, there are only so many ways to “go over the basics” of something. I avidly watched his videos 10 or 11 years ago and found them really helpful. I’ve dipped in occasionally since and it’s like the twilight zone. Thousands of hours of videos cogging up the data centres are possibly not adding anything new to the world. It keeps him off the streets but I’m not sure what else it does. He gets a lot of stick here, I feel most of it is aimed at a group of video makers and he is the whipping boy. I feel like the world is a better place for him being around but he must pretty dead behind the eyes by now. The beauty of woodwork for me is progression. Imagine going over all the stuff several times a week for a decade.

.... not adding anything new to the world.
Except there is a steady input of beginners asking the same questions year after year.
Same for all the other teachers, gurus, hack magazine writers, youtube narcissists, - they all repeat the same stuff whilst hoping for something new to say.
Not sure why Sellers gets so much stick, he seems quite harmless and sensible on the whole. Also not perfect - he doesn't know how to chop mortices for instance!

The aim of the post is right at the beginning, he's peddling his books.
As do all writers of books. You don't have to buy them!
There are other woodwork "gurus" who give away much less free stuff.

Except there is a steady input of beginners asking the same questions year after year.
Same for all the other teachers, gurus, hack magazine writers, youtube narcissists, - they all repeat the same stuff whilst hoping for something new to say.
Not sure why Sellers gets so much stick, he seems quite harmless and sensible on the whole. Also not perfect - he doesn't know how to chop mortices for instance!
Maybe it's his style of presentation that does it for folks.

As do all writers of books. You don't have to buy them!
There are other woodwork "gurus" who give away much less free stuff.
You seem to be more forgiving of him than other gurus. Is it because he's your paisano?

Read his blog post on his router plane. Not one for modesty, is he? Then count the number of times he uses "I" in the post.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Back