Paul, his version of sharpening

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@TRITON , can you confirm ?
What am I confirming sorry ?.

If its the glass work, Ross(Samson) the workshop owner does that. Or did. I should say. Eoghann is quite a talented guy, so maybe these days he did it himself. But I think thats Ross's work.
Looking at the copper work, I think he does that himself. Its shaped parts over a solid background, and doesn't look to be much in it difficulty wise.

The workshop is big and we had lots of stuff(Im long out, but its pretty much the same) Theres a big laser cutter, probably used for at least marking out intricate designs like Celtic knots.

Last edited:
What am I confirming sorry ?.

If its the glass work, Ross(Samson) the workshop owner does that. Or did. I should say. Eoghann is quite a talented guy, so maybe these days he did it himself. But I think thats Ross's work.
Looking at the copper work, I think he does that himself. Its shaped parts over a solid background, and doesn't look to be much in it difficulty wise.

The workshop is big and we had lots of stuff(Im long out, but its pretty much the same) Theres a big laser cutter, probably used for at least marking out intricate designs like Celtic knots.
Yes..it was.. is it Eoghann who does the copperwork ? I thought it must be as the "hand" is the same. He has a line and a form.
and..is it also Eoghann who does the glass work ?

Edit ..Apologies, I'm cooking dinner and got sidetracked there for 20 minutes or so.Yes you've more or less answered both parts now in your most recent post ..cheers :) Mike

ps..it isn't the "difficulty" that impresses me, I know from experience and from teaching it, ( the copper work and the sculptural carved elements ) it is fairly easy especially over a former.It is just the point that he makes to give it that little extra touch, it is rare that people bother.

Last edited:
Yes..it was.. is it Eoghann who does the copperwork ? I thought it must be as the "hand" is the same. He has a line and a form.
and..is it also Eoghann who does the glass work ?

Edit ..Apologies, I'm cooking dinner and got sidetracked there for 20 minutes or so.Yes you've more or less answered both parts now in your most recent post ..cheers :) Mike

ps..it isn't the "difficulty" that impresses me, I know from experience and from teaching it, ( the copper work and the sculptural carved elements ) it is fairly easy especially over a former.It is just the point that he makes to give it that little extra touch, it is rare that people bother.
Ross's workshop is one of those places that avoids convention. Ross is American and admires the arts and crafts philosophy, not just of makers doing things themselves but the aesthetic detail used to convey the natural world.

The workshop has always done this sort of thing, and we've brought in tools or machinery to make that a reality, hence a laser cutter for doing things like lettering or templates or such. But it is still a traditional cabinetmakers.

I would say from working there that it is far far removed from other commercial places, and the attitudes of everyone who did work there was relaxed and there was little pressure to get stuff out the door.

Because of the relaxed nature, you could experiment with technique and form. Stained glass always played a part in commissions Ross received and inlays in copper or brass are part of arts and craft way of decorative design, so with that experience in the workshop and the fact most of the workers were trained at the Glasgow college of building and printing, talent was high.

In the past, while i was there, Ross mainly did the stained glass work, so we have the equipment for it there in the shop, and its just a matter of using your own skill and talent to do it yourself with some instruction if needed. Most makers only really need to be shown once how something is done, or can happily work in a trial and error way of learning, and as its been a fair time since I worked there, its quite understandable that Eoghann has done the work himself.

The stained glass looks good because Ross was talented in doing it, and while maybe not totally traditional in technique or design, he used his own creativeness to come up with designs that mimicked or complimented arts and crafts.. For Example. I made a set of bedroom furniture, and at the top of all the paneled door on the wardrobes(8 in total) there was a stained glass panel showing the phases of the moon, or in others where 4 panels were used the design would be reminiscent of the 4 seasons.

So without actually knowing or talking to Eoghann I would say that I would be pretty confident that he did all the work himself.

Last edited:
I don't use facebook, all its IPs are blocked at the router.
I made a page there when it began for one of our businesses, I put up no content, nada, ziltch.
The next day facebook claimed I had 43 followers, and if I wanted to reach even more people I could buy ads.
Z couldn't tell the truth if his life depended on it.
Never been back, never will.

I don't use facebook, all its IPs are blocked at the router.
I made a page there when it began for one of our businesses, I put up no content, nada, ziltch.
The next day facebook claimed I had 43 followers, and if I wanted to reach even more people I could buy ads.
Z couldn't tell the truth if his life depended on it.
Never been back, never will.
I have a blanket rule never to access anything that requires a Zuckerberg login.

I had two Faceslap friendship requests. One was from someone I'd happily see dead and the other was from someone already six months dead. I use the village news page and Marketplace and nothing else.
That's a bit sad - old Phil no-friends. :oops:

Facebook is rubbish. < edit: that wasn't quite what i typed
I'd like to be in a position where i felt relaxed and not under pressure 😆 unfortunately most of it is actually self imposed, as whilst i understand it, i cant seem to change it.... constantly worrying about something 🙄

Back