OSB

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artie

Sawdust manufacturer.
Reaction score
Has anyone used OSB outside for any length of time?
If so what did you paint it with and were you happy with the outcome?

Artie, the old hardware yard behind Strandtown Police Station had O.S.B. walls on its shed for more years than I can remember. Wilbur and the gang did NOT paint or treat it in any way and it was still going strong when he sold up and they built those ghastly yuppie flats there.

I’d personally not use osb externally unless I had no choice for whatever reason. I can only imagine that the quality of osb years ago mentioned by @SammyQ was vastly different from today’s standards. Even the ply they use to fence off building sights and empty buildings does last long . If I did have to use it outside then outdoor varnish or bitumen or other oil based exterior paint to give it a fighting chance.. just my opinion .

I’d personally not use osb externally unless I had no choice for whatever reason. I can only imagine that the quality of osb years ago mentioned by @SammyQ was vastly different from today’s standards. Even the ply they use to fence off building sights and empty buildings does last long .
I'd trust OSB over modern ply (unless an expensive true marine grade) any day for durability - much higher glue content and the way it is made means it is more impregnated not just sitting between layers.

That does not stop it being rough as a badgers wotsit.

Not all osb is the same ! Osb2 doesn't last long outdoors but osb3 contains much more glue and is more water resistant and will last a lot longer.

Yes, I mean OSB3. Haven't come across 2 for a long time, but not looking for it. I guess there must be a OSB1 as well, never seen that.

Yes, I mean OSB3. Haven't come across 2 for a long time, but not looking for it. I guess there must be a OSB1 as well, never seen that.
I was aware of different grades but didn’t know about the glue content, I’m not a osb fan but hear what you say . Agree about most plywood though..

I'm not a fan of it either, it's so rough. But got to give it some grudging credit where due for its better qualities. And now its back down to reasonable prices it's back to being a useful budget option for rough (or hidden) purposes!

Tbh i seam to recall a few years back an option of osb had a resin coat to it or a heavy duty acrylic paint of some type , not seen it since though but I remember saying to a friend- I wonder how long that would last outside ..

Latest posts

Back