OSB Outdoors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heyho2022

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Sorry if this is a daft question...
Can outdoor planters be made out of OSB sheets?

The idea is that the OSB sheets would be used to form a rectangle ( painted with outdoors / weatherproof pain ), then some pattern layer / slats over it out of pine?
The planter itself would be raised slightly off the ground, but as mentioned - it would spend it's life outdoors fully exposed to the elements.

The reason I am considering OSB is purely down to the savings vs other materials.

Thanks

I'd say that would last a year before falling apart, maybe two depending on the quality of the board and the paint, you might get away with using osb for a shed to some extent but not for something that would be held wet.

Thanks guys!
Is standard ( painted ) plywood a better option then? I’d like to get at least 3 years out of it.

If not, what would you suggest using instead? Bearing a minimum budget in mind of course.

Thanks again

I’d use exterior ply if you can or normal ply if not . Either way treat the outside with a decent exterior gloss paint or varnish. The inside of the planters is harder to treat as this can affect the soil and of course the plants within. A decent landscape fabric will help and plenty of drainage. You should get several years out of them if you take reasonable precautions e g cover them up in winter or put them in the shed . Consider also reclaimed fencing - I made mine out of 25 year old larch fence planks and they have just done their 1st winter ( 3 coats of yacht varnish)

Personally I'd pick up an IBC (the big industrial liquid containers in a cage) they normally go for around £40 second hand. cut the top open, grind the cage open, pierce drainage holes, then clad, the cladding could be pretty lightweight, maybe old fence panels (free?), but as they are doing nothing the strength is immaterial. When the cladding breaks down in 2 or 3 years, you still have a functional frame and liner that could be reclad for very little. you could even get two small planters out of one IBC at a push

I have made outdoor raised beds from treated decking which lasted ~8-10 years before failing. They could have been improved by more regular treatment and fitting a plastic liner.

I don't think I would risk using OSB. Moisture WILL get in and fail.

I have made outdoor raised beds from treated decking which lasted ~8-10 years before failing. They could have been improved by more regular treatment and fitting a plastic liner.

I don't think I would risk using OSB. Moisture WILL get in and fail.
pleasantly suprised that decking would last that long, was it coming in direct contact with the soil then?

pleasantly suprised that decking would last that long, was it coming in direct contact with the soil then?

In direct contact. Corners of raised beds were some 2x2" oak that was lying around. Inside rotted first due to damp compost Then the screws rusted and the sides fell off.

This was all done before I took up woodwork properly as a hobby on retirement. I now know that stainless steel screws may have prevented some of the problems.

If you want to use osb make sure it's osb3 which will swell when wet but return to its original size as it dries.

Remember you have to look at it every day. ! Industrial or ugly planters begin to jarr after a while. I would suggest pressure treated softwood made in the style of ' Versailles ' planters. I have made a few and lined the inside with damp proof coursing. Either that of shell out for marine ply.

Hi Guys,
I’ve built a “prototype” to show you what I am trying to achieve.

This one is actually made out of pallet wood… is that perhaps a better option than playwood?

The core is painted black as you can see, the cladding is stained with Liberon wood dye.

I’d like to maintain this look, but of course have it as weatherproof as possible.

With that in mind, would you mind answering the below please?

1. What is the best outdoor pain to use for the black core? Cuprinol ( 6 year protection? )
2. What to protect the cladding with?
3. Should I protect the whole thing with something once completed? I could assemble the whole planter then perhaps spray something over it with a hvlp sprayer? I am just not sure if you can apply any finish over painted surface I.e the black core?

( ignore the plant, just testing 😊 )
7A47EF92-BBD0-4C1A-93FE-D1CB3B6FB244.jpeg

Thanks again!

Hi Guys,

This one is actually made out of pallet wood… is that perhaps a better option than playwood?

The core is painted black as you can see, the cladding is stained with Liberon wood dye.

I’d like to maintain this look, but of course have it as weatherproof as possible.

1. What is the best outdoor pain to use for the black core? Cuprinol ( 6 year protection? )
3. Should I protect the whole thing with something once completed? I could assemble the whole planter then perhaps spray something over it with a hvlp sprayer? I am just not sure if you can apply any finish over painted surface I.e the black core?

View attachment 155886

Thanks again!
I'd use bitumen paint for the Osb cheap as chips and waterproof.

Also would it look better with a thicker top cover board?!

Just a thought?

Hi Guys,

View attachment 155886

Thanks again!

That looks really good. I like the design. (y) (y)

Hi Guys,

View attachment 155886

Thanks again!
Stunning and definitely to good to waste your time with osb and watch your hard work disappear , given the size isn’t huge you could start with an internal container with drainage holes and build your planters around this container. The water ingress will then only come into contact with the bottom of the planter which tbh you could design the planter with a pardon the phrase ( open bottom) just a few supports for the internal container (s) . Then you can paint or stain without contaminating the soil. Maybe even add a few led,s for extra bling 🤗🤗

You could staple weed protector sheets to the inside of the OSB/decking board. It has certainly extended the life of various ad-hoc planters/borders in my garden.

CT.

Latest posts

Back