Nail and nailer sizes for shed OSB interior wall

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scifli

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, have just lined my 10x14' shed with double aluminium foil leaving an air gap behind between it and the outer TG cladding. I am now about to put 11mm OSB in front of that inside shed as internal wall attaching it to 75mm x 35mm studs. I aim to use air nailer/brad nailer to attach this.I have a Rapid 18g nailer but not sure if this gauge is strong enough so I am considering a 15/16g nailer. Which gauge would you recommend for this job and what length of nail? Also if I need a 15/16g air nailer which would you recommend and that I may find useful for other projects later. Is it worth going to a 11/12 gauge?

any first fix nail gun with 50mm ring shank nails will do it
make sure you get the exterior grade nails
normally a first fix will take anything from 50mm to 90mm, so handy for framing and sheathing
hikoki and milwauke first fix guns don't need gas cartridges so would be my choice, although you mentioned air nailer so ignore that. I dont know anythign about air nailers but the one air nailer brand I see mentioned the most, and with 100% positive feedback, is Senco so I would be looking there first

for that size of building you could just screw it all though - just a few hours work.

I lined my workshop with a very similar set up and used drywall screws cheap as chips if buy in a big box from one of trade sheds.

I went the screws in case I ever wanted to make alterations
I have both a first fix nailer and brad nailer, I wouldn't say brads are up to the job and ring shanks are a Bxxxx to try to get out

+1 for screws - it takes a little longer but there will come a time when you want to remove the OSB and you'll be very pleased that you screwed them in place rather than nailing them.

Unless you want an excuse to buy a first fix nailer I'd definitely support the screw rather than nail option. Brads of any gauge will not be enough.
If you don't already have an impact driver now is the time to get one.

What the others said.
A light gauge nail isn't strong enough, buy, rent or borrow a first fix nailer or use screws, drywall are treated, strongand cheap enough in 1000 boxes also being coarse thread they go in very quickly.

I have a DeWalt cordless first fix and though not used a lot it's surprisingly useful especially if you have fences or outside work. I wouldn't part with mine.

What the others said.
A light gauge nail isn't strong enough, buy, rent or borrow a first fix nailer or use screws, drywall are treated, strongand cheap enough in 1000 boxes also being coarse thread they go in very quickly.

I have a DeWalt cordless first fix and though not used a lot it's surprisingly useful especially if you have fences or outside work. I wouldn't part with mine.

Agreed, I have a Milwaukee FFN and, again, not used much but very useful when appropriate. Never for anything that may, sometime need to be taken apart.

Back