oooh, not good!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get well sliver and try to stay away from any Clinical Trials
for new medication...
You wan to look for immune boosting foods and get a head start on
getting back to full fettle again.. :wink:

hog&bodge":1yea87xx said:
Get well sliver and try to stay away from any Clinical Trials
for new medication...
You wan to look for immune boosting foods and get a head start on
getting back to full fettle again.. :wink:

Hi & thanks.
Don't think they consider me for trials......They don't make the same mistake twice :twisted: :shock: :lol:

But seriousley, They are taking more blood tomorrow to do some extra tests on as I said in a previous post. We'll see what happens.

Cheers, sliv.

Hi Sliver,

I went down with something similar to this last July, excruciating pain in knees and ankles also feeling very lethargic and flu like symptoms, finally got to see a rheumatologist in Sept, after various tests was finally diagnosed with sero negative arthritis so am now going back and forth to the hospital quite regular so they can keep a check on me. At the moment my ESR ( inflammatory levels in the blood I think ) have come down from 64 (v high ) to 8 mainly due to change in my diet and I've lost 2 1/2 stone in weight so I only take the odd anti inflammatory tablet as and when, but have been told that as I get older ( I'm 40 at the moment ) I may end up on permanent medication.
I had to stop work last July because I could barely walk but after being sorted out at the hospital I am glad to say I'm going back to work tomorrow ( I cut grass for a living ).
Get well soon Sliver hope the tests show up the problems and you get sorted quickly.

Steve :D

To quote Russell:My dad gets something similar with his arthritis called Feltis syndrome something to do with his white blood cells.

Looked into that & it is a bit scary with the other things in your body that it can affect. Thanks for the info mate. Hope your Dad is coping with it o.k.

Steve Jones: I went down with something similar to this last July, excruciating pain in knees and ankles also feeling very lethargic and flu like symptoms, finally got to see a rheumatologist in Sept, after various tests was finally diagnosed with sero negative arthritis so am now going back and forth to the hospital quite regular so they can keep a check on me. At the moment my ESR ( inflammatory levels in the blood I think ) have come down from 64 (v high ) to 8 mainly due to change in my diet and I've lost 2 1/2 stone in weight so I only take the odd anti inflammatory tablet as and when, but have been told that as I get older ( I'm 40 at the moment ) I may end up on permanent medication.
I had to stop work last July because I could barely walk but after being sorted out at the hospital I am glad to say I'm going back to work tomorrow ( I cut grass for a living ).
Get well soon Sliver hope the tests show up the problems and you get sorted quickly.

Thank you too sir, That also is very hepful to know as I wasn't sure if I could carry on doing what I do to earn my slice of bread & jam.
I am sorry, of course, to hear that you had to find the info out the hard way.

Glad to hear you can now get back to your work & this has slowed my worries a little cos I did wonder if I could carry on. If I can keep it in check, that's great.
Thanks again to both of you.

sliver. :wink:

Hey Sliv ... far be it from me to try a chuck a diagnosis at you or anything, ok ... but don't write this kind of thing off too quickly ....

I'll give you a brief synopsis -

I left a company in 2005 - where myself and one other guy ( 46 he was at the time ), had carried the mantle between us for 8 years.
I didn't get replaced ... so the poor lad got landed with my share of the workload, then there was a management BI/BO, which was immediately followed by a shedding of an Admin lassie, so my pal got landed with a lot of what she'd done previously too.

He thought nothing of it.

We stayed ( and still do ) in contact once or twice a month, by phone usually.. ocaisionally in person.

Phoned him in june '07 at work .. only to learn he was off, ill.
That was basically unheard of. He'd not had a day off his work in 15 years... not one.

Eventually, after trying for a couple of weeks.. I got hold of him at his home.
He told me he had , over the period of about a year, developed :

Pins & Neeldes type sensations, firstly in his hands, then arms too.
Various Skin Rashes & Nasty boil / pustule septic 'eruptions'
What he 'believed to be ' irritable bowel'
Dizziness, and loss of feeling in both legs progressively
Poor digestion & excessive heartburn-type problems .. eventually
leading to inexplicable bouts of vomiting
A very noticeable inability to concentrate.
Insomnia.
Eventually, ( this is whilst still at work ) he got up from his desk to make a coffee .... and the next thing he knew, he'd woken up in hospital 3 days later. --- apparently , he'd unknowingly walked out of the building, gone about 1/2 a mile on foot within the industrial estate and been found collapsed on the pavement. - he has no recollection of the events of that day at all.

So.. tests etc etc all followed ... lots of the usual things 'suspected' ... nothing showed up anywhere...
eventually diagnosed as what we as laymen would best understand as a 'stress induced nervous breakdown'

He had all these 'physical symptoms of something', and yet, in essence, there was nothing physically 'causing' him to be ill ... there were physical 'symptoms' but no physical cause... it was attributed to the stresses of what he was being subjected to at work.
He was eventually diagnosed with, and subsequently treated successfully for Depression.... brought on by what had been building up on him at work.

Now.. I'd always had a bit of 'difficulty' getting my head round what I perceived to be, to all intents and purposes , a "pile of horsecrap-pseudo-illness" like stress related depression. -- never really believing such a thing was real.
And so did this lad too. -- very much an 'old school' type guy, who got on with whatever life threw at you, and got on with it, without complaint.

Turns out both he and I are both very wrong .. and this type of thing is all too common and very 'real' indeed. - he's basically back on his feet now, and almost good as new. But he definately got a scare.

Not that I'd wish to suggest you are in the same boat.. but just to mention, don't write ANY possibility off....
I'd not have believed that these physical manifestations of ill-health could have been remotely connected to his "workload" and its effects.. but its been conclusively proven to have been exactly what was wrong.
And I guess it needen't necessarily be 'work' .. it could be attributed to a myriad of other root-causes.

Really hope you get to the bottom of everything...
don't write anything off !
All the very best to you. :)

Hi again Jenx,
I really feel for your friend. I have actually been through the breakdown jobbie myself........Twice!!

NEVER EVER, EVER AGAIN.....FOR ANYONE!!!!!!

I was lucky in that I have a fantastic partner in Mrs. Sliver. She stayed when a lot of others would've gone through the door, never to return.
I got through t'other side from a VERY dark place with the help of Mrs. S. along with family & close friends.

I'm not the most confident of people, but when I was ill, I would NOT drive. I didn't know I was ill at the time, I just knew I wasn't capable of doing every day things like driving. You cannot enjoy life cos you're waiting for the next 'disaster' turning up. My problem was a bullying boss & I did get 'ailments' that meant I called in sick a lot. Not a good time in my life & best left in the past.
I do hope your friends gets right back on top form & from what you say, He's just about is.

Thanks for relating this story Jenx & thanks to you & all on here for your thoughts & good wishes. I'l keep you all updated.

sliv. :)

Well folks,
Update time. Doc told me this morning I can go back to work on monday. She wasn't too keen at first when I asked about it but agreed when I said I would take it easy. She said I'm not out of the woods yet & that it could flare up again. They are taking more blood next Thursday so they can double check I am heading in the right direction.

Current thinking is 'reactive arthritis', due to a virus, but 'stills' disease has not been ruled out yet & is more serious. ANY sign of feeling unwell, the rash coming back or painful & swelling joints & I have to get them on the case right away. Here's hoping.

cheers, sliv. :wink:

Best of luck and here's hoping for a happy result mate.

Roy.

Latest posts

Back