Wireless Contact

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about two Alexa devices or even have one in each room of the house plus your workshop,she could then tell Alexa to make an announcement saying that you are needed. We have them and my Mrs uses it to call me in when i forget the time or my T is ready, they are not expensive and are easy to use and set up.
I was thinking Alexa. It has a thing called drop in which becomes an intercom between other devices. Also works with the app. The echo dot is often under £20 each.

I’m not familiar with it but I am aware of “if this then that” (IFTTT) which may be worth a look.
It is primarily designed for automation but there may be a a configuration that will do “if fob presssed then send alarm to phone”.
There is a free subscription alongside paid for tiers so you will need to check that will do what you need.

One of the possible problems with the Alexa idea, or any of the doorbell etc. ideas, is what if you are using P/T or Tablesaw etc. with ear defenders when it goes off, you won't hear it, and when you stop will have no idea it went off. I have been looking at something similar so my wife can alert me when I am in the workshop. I have been thinking of an Alexa enabed power socket which activates a coloured (red?, no smutty comments please) light in the workshop. That way I will likely immediately notice it, but if I have my back to it will see it as soon as I turn around. Obviously it really depends on having the right kit such as wifi in the workshop and house of course.

I have a wireless doorbell installed in my workshop. The bell press is small and battery powered and is kept on a shelf in our conservatory. The receiver is plugged into a socket in my workshop and seems to work well for summoning me. The distance, however, is only about 100 yards, so, I'm not sure what the maximum range would be. In our previous property our door bell would often ring when no one was pressing the bell-push. No doubt, a neighbours system interfering with ours :)

Wow and THANK YOU ALL.

Please allow me a few moments to say that the persons within this forum are second to none.
There is an exceptional wide range of knowledge only surpassed by a wider range of willingness to assist AND not ridicule any question...again THANK YOU.

I have gone down the doorbell etc route and have ordered probably the cheapest on fleabay at £5+.
100m supposed range.
My lovely lady and I will try that, it will hopefully answer some needs, if not all. (and can be thrown away if it is useless)
She will hang the 2" bell around her kneck; I will do the same with the 4" receiver.

We will try it out and at the same time I will be looking at other options you have collectively discussed.

Again thank you all and I am hopeful that others may also benefit from our discussion.

Richard

I have been using a cheap Android watch from Amazon for a week now. I do not think it is a as good as apple watches and it does not have fall detection. However, it allows for calling and taking calls from the phone, and to speed dial contacts. It still takes a few taps to get to a contact.
The vibration is pretty good so hard to miss when on the wrist, it costs 30 pounds.

There are a few drawbacks thought. Every three days or so it needs charging. It needs to be connected to a phone via Bluetooth, to call and receive, so the phone needs to be within Bluetooth range. And it is not entirely waterproof I think, good enough to survive rain but not for showers or for taking a bath. In that respects your doorbell button is probably better, if the range is sufficient.

One of the possible problems with the Alexa idea, or any of the doorbell etc. ideas, is what if you are using P/T or Tablesaw etc. with ear defenders when it goes off, you won't hear it, and when you stop will have no idea it went off. I have been looking at something similar so my wife can alert me when I am in the workshop. I have been thinking of an Alexa enabed power socket which activates a coloured (red?, no smutty comments please) light in the workshop. That way I will likely immediately notice it, but if I have my back to it will see it as soon as I turn around. Obviously it really depends on having the right kit such as wifi in the workshop and house of course.
dad again has a similar doorbell. As he can't hear anyone knocking at the door it has a blue strobe light. This has been very good but only has a range of maybe a couple of hundred feet.

And it is not entirely waterproof I think, good enough to survive rain but not for showers or for taking a bath.
Why would you EVER consider taking a shower or bath whilst wearing a watch ???

I had the habit for 20+ years - it's stainless steel and waterproof to a 1000 feet - probably out of laziness. It wasn't an "active" decision more a "passive" one.

When I used to swim in the local pool, I kept it on - mainly from feeling uncomfortable leaving it in a locker in case it got stolen.

Now, I take it off before showering, but if I went swimming again - I'd still wear it.

Well if the wearer fell in the tub/shower they can summon help or the watch would do it for them should they be knocked out. This thread is after all about people that for one reason or another might be in a situation where they are out of earshot when something happens. Agile and able bodied people don't need the gadget.

Pete

Well if the wearer fell in the tub/shower they can summon help or the watch would do it for them should they be knocked out. This thread is after all about people that for one reason or another might be in a situation where they are out of earshot when something happens. Agile and able bodied people don't need the gadget.

Pete
I agree with needing to wear the emergency call bell, or whatever in the shower.
One of my concerns is that my wife may slip while in the shower; being a lady of !! a certain age and bl***y minded and after nearly 60yrs marriage she doesn' want me sitting in the bathroom while she washes her bits.
AND if she removes the emergency call bell from around her neck will she always remember to put it back on; because (whatever his name is) law will dictate that, is when she may fall.
McAldo & others are fully correct in mentionning the shower etc.

I agree with needing to wear the emergency call bell, or whatever in the shower.
One of my concerns is that my wife may slip while in the shower; being a lady of !! a certain age and bl***y minded and after nearly 60yrs marriage she doesn' want me sitting in the bathroom while she washes her bits.
AND if she removes the emergency call bell from around her neck will she always remember to put it back on; because (whatever his name is) law will dictate that, is when she may fall.
McAldo & others are fully correct in mentionning the shower etc.
Don't worry my wife of 20 years won't allow me in the bathroom....I blame the kids!!!

Pete
Fair comment if we are talking about some kind of alert device. I still find it odd that people wear a watch in the shower/bath otherwise.

it's coz having kids ruins their body shape.....lol......

when we go for a shower or use the loo we never close the door.....
but turn around for a mo and there'll be 3 Border Collies and often one of the cats in there with u........hahaha....

My late mother had a pendant device which I think was provided by Age-UK, can't remember the details, but this allowed one or more numbers to be called in the event of the emergency button being depressed, this was some time ago and I guess tech has moved on a bit however there are a few options you could consider - check out The best panic alarms for the elderly | Helping Hands Home Care
I guess it all comes down to cost and the level of service you want
Ed

SINGCALL Tuya Wifi Smart SOS Emergency Button Alarm For Handicapped Caregiver Pager Wireless Nurse Alert System for Elderly Patient Alarm Transmitter Button,Use with Tuya WiFi https://amzn.eu/d/cTZLDAC

SINGCALL Tuya Wifi Smart SOS Emergency Button Alarm For Handicapped Caregiver Pager Wireless Nurse Alert System for Elderly Patient Alarm Transmitter Button,Use with Tuya WiFi https://amzn.eu/d/cTZLDAC

Back