Wireless Contact

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quintain

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello, I ask another 'off the track question'
I need some sort of personal call system so that my poorly wife can call me and tell me she needs my help. i.e. "get your butt into the house from the workshop or fields, I need your help"
I imagine some sort of necklace/s we can both wear and when she wants me to come back into the house she would press a button on her necklace and the one I would wear will beep at me or preferably transmit a voice call.
I am trying to use an inhouse and low cost solution rather than a 'corporate' and expensive monthly payment system.
I welcome your thoughts & advice.

The cell phone gets the nod for us. With the iWatch I know I'm getting summoned when I feel the vibrations on my wrist even when on the tractor at the other end of our 10 acre place. But if the phone is on vibrate the buzz in the pocket does it too.

Pete

Hi both...very sensible solutions BUT will they always be carried by my lady, that is my concern.
We have 20yr old walkie talkie/s that still work wonderfully and we have cell phones with reasonably easy contact for each other.
However neither are of a size to hang around her kneck or wrist thereby ensuring "always available call system".
Please understand I consider your ideas to be good but my lady would/could fall and the phone or walkie/talkie will be elsewhere.
On this forum we have a high chance of understanding wood, metal, workshops and 10k other matters but being able to fully and always understanding our wives/partners is frequently beyond our intelligence.
Again thank you to date. I consider something small-ish hanging around her kneck is the best answer.

A wireless doorbell? Dirt cheap.
Yep - that was my thought.

1 press for "come here"
2 presses for "bloody hurry up"
incessant rings for "NOW!"

;)

The "presser" weighs almost nothing and you should be able to put it on something (chain\cord) easily enough. Some of the receivers come with a clip so you could put it on your belt.

Not a cheap option but in case you don't know. The iWatch has a fall detection function. When it detects a hard shake or fall like movements it vibrates and asks on the display if you had a fall. If you don't answer it will automatically call 911 and they will dispatch to you. Works in the home or out hiking in the woods as long a there is cell service. If you haven't fallen you can dismiss the alert. Mine goes off every once in a while in the shop when I'm using my hand as a hammer, I know shouldn't, to assemble something that is resisting. I don't know if it would send you an alert personally or not but getting 911 quickly if you have dropped can be life saving. I hope you can find a solution you both like.

Pete

Yep - that was my thought.

1 press for "come here"
2 presses for "bloody hurry up"
incessant rings for "NOW!"

;)

The "presser" weighs almost nothing and you should be able to put it on something (chain\cord) easily enough. Some of the receivers come with a clip so you could put it on your belt.
Where can i see that...

Not a cheap option but in case you don't know. The iWatch has a fall detection function. When it detects a hard shake or fall like movements it vibrates and asks on the display if you had a fall. If you don't answer it will automatically call 911 and they will dispatch to you. Works in the home or out hiking in the woods as long a there is cell service. If you haven't fallen you can dismiss the alert. Mine goes off every once in a while in the shop when I'm using my hand as a hammer, I know shouldn't, to assemble something that is resisting. I don't know if it would send you an alert personally or not but getting 911 quickly if you have dropped can be life saving. I hope you can find a solution you both like.

Pete
Thanks Inspector
I will keep it in mind but I try to avoid iphone products BUT I may not be able to avoid your excellent thoughts.

I am looking for the same thing my Dad has something but has to use the landline and a subscription to a call centre. We do not have a landline here so ideally a sim would be best with a landyard or something that straps to wrist with a call button

Physically small size implies a small battery, low power or or limited endurance, a physically small / short antenna and therefore radio that works at high frequency and has short range / line of sight characteristics.
I'm saying this just to try and manage your expectations. Keyfob sized garage and car remotes have very short range. Medical emergency transmitters worn on the body tend to be limited to use around the home.

Cellphones are very highly developed pieces of technology to achieve their good range and long battery life in such a compact device.

I would be googling personal GPS locators / trackers with SOS emergency. They seem to be widely available and a subscription of under £10 a month doesn't sound much set against your wife's safety.

So most of my ideas have been mentioned, for cost neutral after purchase it was walkie talkie, these can now be pretty small and lightweight, most have a belt clip, so it’s about muscle memory and just keeping it on, although small ones I’ve seen could work with some form of chain.
Next I am an Apple fanboy as it were and the Apple Watch with its fall detection, is ideal but far from a cheap solution, it also has a walkie talkie function that should work for short distances and can be an overlooked feature with small use but may be perfect in your use case.

regards

Padster

Where can i see that...

Not this exact one, but visually/dimensionally almost the same:

https://www.diy.com/departments/white-wireless-battery-powered-door-chime-kit/3663602631934_BQ.prd
It will depend on how far away the workshop\fields are and\or how many walls the signal is going to have to pass through. If it's a case of too far and\or to many walls, then you may need to look at other solutions. I suspect 50m is likely to be the limit of most wireless doorbells - irrespective of the manufacturers claims.

How about two Alexa devices or even have one in each room of the house plus your workshop,she could then tell Alexa to make an announcement saying that you are needed. We have them and my Mrs uses it to call me in when i forget the time or my T is ready, they are not expensive and are easy to use and set up.

Attachments

• AFF0EBC5-FD2C-4E24-96E8-D9F56D541893.png
    AFF0EBC5-FD2C-4E24-96E8-D9F56D541893.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Hello, I ask another 'off the track question'
I need some sort of personal call system so that my poorly wife can call me and tell me she needs my help. i.e. "get your butt into the house from the workshop or fields, I need your help"
I imagine some sort of necklace/s we can both wear and when she wants me to come back into the house she would press a button on her necklace and the one I would wear will beep at me or preferably transmit a voice call.
I am trying to use an inhouse and low cost solution rather than a 'corporate' and expensive monthly payment system.
I welcome your thoughts & advice.
My dad has a fob which when pressed causes the base station to call a pre programmed number and play a recorded message. It calls my mobile. So no subscription. Cost about £70 from e bay. I cannot remember the manufacturer, but certainly works. The fob has a built in microphone so if he calls me I press 2 on my keypad and I can talk to him, or would be able to if he wasn't as deaf as a post bless him. Useful in that if he has pressed it accidentally I can open the Mic and hear him pottering about and know he is actually ok.

Back