The things your parents said to you...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Family nicknames. Mine was Stinky.
At least up until age 11 or 12. Never thought anything of it at all.

"Hill sheep are special. They have two legs longer than the other so that they can stand on the hill side".
My uncle was sent to Dartmoor to club rabbits (myxi) when first in the R.N in the '50s. On the way on the train they passed a flock of sheep, the forerunner of which had a large bramble attached. He explained to the city lad with him that the sheep was the leader and was radio controlled - that was his aerial. He was believed.

"Every time you shout, that's an hour off your life".

Told to me by my parents when I was about 4 or 5.

"Thunder is the clouds banging together" - what I was told when I asked where thunder came from.

In response to unreasonable? requests "next you'll be wanting the top brick off the chimney".
Description of a small quantity "a hens nose full". A blunt knife "so blunt you could ride to market on it"

My wife has a slightly different version. Be good, and if you can't be good, don't get caught.

Pete
My father and mother also used a slightly different version: "If you can't be good be careful and if you can't be careful remember the date"

Another from my father, if I wasn't happy because of making a minor mistake in something was "Don't be over critical, a blind man would be pleased to see it"

My grandmother's version was "ride to London on it".
Come to think of it, I doubt she ever went to London.
My mum's version was "ride bare @rsed to London on it"

Grandad used to say "every word you miss a mouthful" refering to talking at mealtimes, basically "shut up and eat".

"If you can't be good be careful, if you can't be carful buy a Leeway"

In response to unreasonable? requests "next you'll be wanting the top brick off the chimney".
Description of a small quantity "a hens nose full". A blunt knife "so blunt you could ride to market on it
I'm not sure why this is here?!
I don't recall pressing the 'post reply' button, although I did find the 'hens nose full' comment funny when I read it.
Maybe I meant to comment but then.....

Oh dear. Only incontinence to go.... :)

There's not enough room to swing a cat. I later realised it must refer to a 'cat o' nine tails' but even now I visualise a moggy being swung round.

Oh God.
Really?!
Never really thought about it, but now you mention it.....

I've been having a 'Stuart' moment all these years....:whistle:

What time will you be home "Don't know" well, if your not in bed by midnight you'd better come home!

Attachments

• 1678545405511.jpeg
    1678545405511.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
On my first day at a new school (dad was army so we moved around quite a bit with postings to Germany,UK,Germany etc) my old boy told me to “keep your eyes and ears open and your mouth shut”! Still strikes me as solid advice now and following it for so long has taught me you can learn a lot about someone else without having to invest too much time in their company.

Back