One Small Step for....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
DaveL":3315rg7e said:
Chas,

That zebrano looks very nice, glad your still posting the pictures. :D

Yes I did not know whether it was to 'busy' when I first did it but it is growing on me now, no problem posting but I feel a bit pushy as a beginner when there are so many accomplished turners around on the forum for whom this is all old hat.

Hi Chas,

Don't worry about posting your pics. Please keep doing it - it's obvious that many people are enjoying looking at them (943 views to date!). And :shock: less than three weeks and international fame already!! :wink:

I know how strong the draw of the valleys is, but if you could bring it upon yourself to head off in another direction, and you are not too far away, a ride out to Ockenden Timber at Churchstoke in Shropshire might be a day out for you. They carry a stock of thousands of turning blanks for self-selection at reasonable prices. (PM me is you want further info.).

On selection of blanks you are right to beware what might be hidden under the dreaded wax! I've had the same experience. Still on the subject of wax, I also now avoid completely any blanks that have been completely covered in the stuff. In my experience, these blanks (olive wood is an example I have found) are often completely sealed in wax whilst the wood is still wet. So, when you start on your lovely piece of wood by removing the wax, the moisture is then suddenly exposed to the air and all sorts of funny things can begin to happen very quickly, resulting in a totally useless piece of wood, unless you can extract enough to make some lace bobbins!

FWIW - whenever I have a large piece which I cut up into turning blanks I always seal the end grain straight away by painting on a good coat of PVA adhesive. This has the same effect as wax but is much easier to do, and just as effective.

Cheers,

Trev.

trevtheturner":1x4rezf0 said:
...snip...I know how strong the draw of the valleys is, but if you could bring it upon yourself to head off in another direction, and you are not too far away, a ride out to Ockenden Timber at Churchstoke in Shropshire might be a day out for you. ....snip...

Know the area if not in detail, lived in Worcestershire for many years, both our families came from the Clun - Clunbury area going back to circa. 1500 will PM for more details on location. A day or two in the area would go down well, it is about 30 years since I last walked on the Long Mynd.
trevtheturner":1x4rezf0 said:
...FWIW - whenever I have a large piece which I cut up into turning blanks I always seal the end grain straight away by painting on a good coat of PVA adhesive. This has the same effect as wax but is much easier to do, and just as effective.
Have been doing just that having seen refs. to using same.
Is Horse Chestnut any real use, or is it to soft ? I have access to a supply of 100-150mm diam. logs in village if I want them.

I usually stop at Clun on the way home from Ockenden's, buy an ice-cream from the shop by the bridge, then sit on the river bank and enjoy it, before a walk around the castle!

Back on topic - I have never used Horse Chestnut but I have seen it available for sale as turning blanks. Probably worth a try, although I have thought it to look a bit plain and featureless.

Cheers,

Trev.

Todays effort in "Bubinga" as quick 30 min. demo to weekend guests. (and they did not look to bored :) )
PPpot2.jpg

Chas, that was 30 mins? What time zone you in...? Sure you're not just buying these things and.....?
Seriously, your turning skills have taken a quantum leap. Well done.

Rgds

Noel

Another good inspirational piece Chas 8)
... 'bout time some of these old turners with accomplished hats dared to put up some of their stuff :shock: :shock:
...or maybe they're just watching and learning :p :p

30min...don't tell me, it would have been quicker but you had to keep stopping to explain to your guests :lol:

Keep 'em coming

Noel":7e3ojb8z said:
Chas, that was 30 mins? What time zone you in...? Sure you're not just buying these things and.....?
Seriously, your turning skills have taken a quantum leap. Well done.

Rgds

Noel

Thanks Noel It was a bit rushed because of showing visitors, more than half the time was spent trying to blend out a couple of bits of end grain that refused to cut clean, (at least with my skill level) spent more time hand rubbing a couple of small patches with the grain than the rest of the finishing together. The finish could not be easier though, a wipe with cellulose sealer and soft wax, a couple of minutes at the most. For the time being I have standardized on turning bases with dovetail for chuck and just need to turn them round for top so no time wasted there. Spent as long putting tools away and cleaning up I think.

oldsoke":vovi1z9y said:
...snip...30min...don't tell me, it would have been quicker but you had to keep stopping to explain to your guests...snip..

Main problem was keeping them out of the line of the chuck, main advantage was they no nothing about turning so did not know that I was not using the politically correct tool for the process.

Benvenuti to the gentleman of Verona ...nice website, for those who haven't seen it, the ladies' boxes are worth checking out
Cao

(Io sono molto impressed)

Okay, okay, okay.........! I'm trying to get the hang of this picture business :oops:

Sycamore platter with Inlace inlay, 13" diameter.

trevtheturner-platter3.JPG

Cheers,

Trev.

Trevor I am only just learning to walk in this wood turning lark, you will have me reverting back to an engineering lathe with powered cross slide to match that sort of thickness and flatness.

Nice Platter, Sycamore you say...Mmmmm....

Trev,

Well done on both counts, nice platter and its good to see what your making. :D

Could you explain what the inlay is please? It looks almost like a band of glitter, :shock: have you been watching old episodes of Blue Peter? :wink:

Thanks, Chas. Better with some fruit on it, but the camera does lie just a little.......

trevtheturner-fruityplatter.JPG

you will see that it is much thicker than the first pic. shows, but there is a reason. I would normally turn a platter much thinner than this but, because I was unsure of the M/C of the wood, and the inlay I put in, I wanted to avoid any distortion.

Cheers,

Trev.

Thanks for the comments, Dave.

The inlay is not sticky-back plastic. :roll: It is essentially a resin compound with coloured 'nuggets' mixed in. It comes in various colour compositions. Known by its brand name 'Inlace' it is produced in the U.S.A. Various effects can be achieved by adding different coloured 'nuggets' or metal flake (there is no metal flake in the piece shown).

Used simply, as I do so far, the piece is first turned almost to a finish with a groove about 3mm deep, taken from the lathe and the groove filled with the Inlace and left overnight to cure. Piece is then remounted on the lathe and the surface, including the inlace, turned and finished in the normal way.

Cheers,

Trev.

For something different, here are some of the pens I made last Christmas:

there is a mixture of wood, acrylic and corian:
Back row l. to r.: acrylic, acrylic, wood, wood.
Front row: corian, acrylic, wood, acrylic.

trevtheturner-pens2.JPG

...and one in its case:

trevtheturner-penincase.jpg

Now all I have to do is get the photography right! :oops:

Cheers

Chas, Bubinga--one of my favorite woods--another very nice piece!

Trev, nice platter--Sycamore, another of my favorites.

I'll have to show my wife the latest work of you two as inspiration. Just about every time she has seen something here it gives her encouragement to try something new.

The platter will probably encourage her to forge ahead on a couple she has promised out as gifts.

Thanks to you both.

MikeW":19xbuztj said:
Chas, Bubinga--one of my favorite woods--another very nice piece!...snip...
Thanks to you both.

Thank you Mike for the compliment, But I think thanks are more due to this forum for giving me all the encouragement, and to others the satisfaction of passing on their knowledge gained from such an absorbing subject

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back