One Small Step for....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cheers Les, think he posted here the odd time in the past. Long drive up from Cork for you. He's a 4 hr round trip for me. I'll look him up next time I'm down that way.

Noel

Noel,

The reason I went is that I'm currently on contract in Co. Meath - from cork it would have been a 12hr round trip!

On the topic have you ever used Gleeson Woodturning supplies in Kilcock? they are just down the road from me here and apparently stock Terry's Chesnut finishes which I'd like to try? They have no web presence, must give them a call when I get a tuit.

Kilcock? Through it a few weeks ago. Another one I'll add to the list.
Cheers

Noel

oldsoke":2alpip1l said:
..snip...mmmm, next :?:

bowlb.jpg

Laburnum pot. This mornings effort.

oldsoke - Wow! Looks really good.

I have never turned laburnum, is that its natural colour or have you darkened it in some way?

My apologies, credited to the wrong person

CHJ - It looks really good

apologies again

Thanks anyway Steve :p ... I'd be happy to have my name under it :D

Chas
looks good but... any chance of a pic in the natural light?

I'm almost afraid to ask.... wots.....

SMD":xo16trz4 said:
I have never turned laburnum, is that its natural colour or have you darkened it in some way?

Thats as is, just clear wax, the lighter outer wood is somewhat like ash, unfortunately I lost most of it whilst trying to round it up.

oldsoke":3duloehg said:
snip...Chas
DSC00476.JPG

DSC00477.JPG

oldsoke":3duloehg said:
Will have to wait till Sat. Off to Malvern Show tomorrow before the rain gets here.

Now I'm convinced it's laburnam :p :p

Enjoy the show, let's hope u don't need the wellies :wink:

Very nice indeed Chas =D>

I am sure I have got some Laburnum somewhere under my bench - I will have to have a rummage and see if I can find it now that you have inspired me!

Regards

Gary

CHJ":177xzsdq said:
oldsoke":177xzsdq said:
snip...Chas
DSC00476.JPG

DSC00477.JPG

oldsoke":177xzsdq said:
Will have to wait till Sat. Off to Malvern Show tomorrow before the rain gets here.

Wow...That is not your garden surely, looks like a football pitch

UKTony":2y2dd71v said:
Wow...That is not your garden surely, looks like a football pitch

It's all in the eyes of the camera lens, although this patch (half of which is in shot) is left open for the Grandkids to kick around in, there is about as much again the other side of the gate as veg. patch and "other work....garden shed" and about the same round the front (1/2 Acre total)

oldsoke":1o5mfelo said:

A bit of the Laburnum that I managed to get out between the wood borer workmanship and the large fissures.
ert2.jpg

ert3.jpg

ert4.jpg

It's a slice, all end grain, had to try out hot melt glue fixing for first side 8-[ 8-[ , now have smaller radius scraper on wants list :)

DaveL":15c1h9ag said:
Chas,

That is very nice, please keep posting the pictures. :D
Thanks Dave will keep posting,
apologies to all those who are accomplished turners, so chuffed that I can actually make something that looks reasonable I need to share.

What about us unacomplished turners who are cowering in a corner and hoping no-one'll mention we own a lathe...? :oops: :lol: Great stuf, Chas, and it's got me thinking that I'm sure I've got a bit of laburnam somewhere. :-k Next step is to get brave and make thinner walls I guess, yes? I speak as someone who came within an ace of turning right though the wall of a tankard as one of my first turning projects. 'Cousre I know better now and wouldn't dream of even attempting it. :roll: Ignorance is underated in woodworking of all varieties I sometimes think. :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":1974gw7c said:
What about us unacomplished turners who are cowering in a corner and hoping no-one'll mention we own a lathe...?
You could always sign up under a new pseudonym and claim to be a novice like me seeking guidance :twisted:
Alf":1974gw7c said:
Next step is to get brave and make thinner walls I guess, yes?
I need more practice at hollowing out first, plus get hold of some wood that will hold together as a thin section. All I have around at the moment is Yew and a bit of spalted Beech, neither of which I care to risk tackling as thin walled, the Yew especially.

Alf":otg2qkwn said:
Next step is to get brave and make thinner walls : Revisited:

A bit thinner you can have Alf but deeper? That will have to be another day, I've only been at it since last Monday.

plate1.jpg

plate2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back