One Small Step for....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks MikeW and Travis for your kind comments. They are very reassuring and encouraging to this self-taught, and very much still learning, hobbyist. :wink:

Cheers,

Trev.

Wow Trev,
Lovely work, the platter is beautiful and the pens look good too.

cd

Trev,

Thanks for explaining the inlay. :)

The pens are very nice. I would be frightened of losing a pen that nice if I took it out of the house. :?

Another one for the collection,
LWbowl1.jpg

LWbowl2.jpg

200mm Diam. bowl in "Lacewood"

DaveL":1fv5tw2f said:
Chas,

I do like the grain in that piece, I can see why its called Lace wood. :D

The face flecking is attractive but the end grain (sides of bowl) do not look all that special in this particular sample. I think that if this is the norm for Lacewood I will try to do more in the line of Platters with it so that end grain presentation is at a minimum.

Another of todays production:
twsbowl2.jpg

twsbowl1.jpg

Trev... I wish I could turn my fruit to look that good :p :p

Chas... waiting for the platter.... :D

oldsoke":1f2qqi9a said:
..snip..
Chas... waiting for the platter.... :D

Waiting for the wood :( :(

Thursday to Trevor's neck of the woods for a rummage in his recommended source. :D and maybe sneak a :tool: in the basket.

oldsoke":xxqab9iu said:
Chas... waiting for the platter.... :D REVISITED:

Does this 250mm diam Walnut piece Qualify? The wood has been in my "to good to waste" bin for nearly 40 yrs.
walnutplatter1.jpg

walnutplatter3.jpg

walnutplatter8.jpg

DaveL":2bdpuhbc said:
Chas,
I see you have mastered turning fruit as well. :D

Not quite as exotic as Trevors though, I'm still learning. :lol:

Ref. my previous post concerning keeping the thickness of a platter somewhat greater than I would have liked because I was doubtful about M/C, this first pic. perhaps doesn't look too bad:

trevtheturner-spbeechplatter1.JPG

but when you look at it from another angle the distortion which occurs from using 'wet' wood can clearly be seen!

trevtheturner-spbeechplatter2.JPG

Chas
Good start on the platters (note plural)... had you realised :p that you;d captured an UFO :shock: :p :p (the one hovering just above the grass)

Trev... don't you just luv it when a plan comes together :lol:

Keep em coming folks :wink:

By way of contrast, this is one I prepared earlier. It is in ash with an ebonised rim:

trevtheturner-ebonyash1.JPG

using much drier wood, the distortion is fairly minimal but can still be seen:

trevtheturner-ebonyash2.JPG

Cheers,

Trev.

Yep, that about sums it up, Graham. :lol: :lol: Although I am amazed at how some people like bits all twisted, or even ask, "How did you make it like that?" :roll:

Cheers,

Trev.

Just in case anybody doesn't know (and wants to?) lacewood is, in fact London Plane which has been quarter-sawn. It is the quarter-sawing which reveals the spectacular figuring, as can be seen here in the bowl and around the rim:

trevtheturner-lacewood1.JPG

although the figuring is only revealed on the 'face' of the wood, interesting features can sometimes appear elsewhere from knots, etc.:

trevtheturner-lacewood2.JPG

Cheers,

Trev.

Now that is what I call a nice job Trevor, the shape has got that "want to handle" look to it.
You certainly have got a better specimen of 'Lacewood' than I have hit on so far, can't wait to get to your suppliers to have a rummage.

Regards the platters, how thick is the 'stock' on average that you start with for the thin platters?

Yet another Bowl in Ash:
ashbowl2a.jpg

The use of the Bowl Gouge and Tool Sharpening is starting to become automatic.

Major task for the forthcoming weekend is to stop turning long enough to manufacture some sort of Dust Cowl for behind the chuck, the current cardboard box looks a bit Heath Robinson (but at least it is frangible) and cuts out to much light from the windows behind the machine, although I am very impressed on the quantity of fine dust that is captured by the extractor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back