One Small Step for....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alf":2xmwy1m8 said:
Unfortunately I was right out of wooden platters to put it on. :(
Alf
What was wrong with turning one up, just because the Lathe has a tail you do not have to shun it all the time :twisted:

While the lathe does indeed have a tail, it doesn't currently have a socket to go in. :roll: And also I'm just a hopeless slacker... :oops: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Chas,

I'm turning-deficient at the moment - spent the last couple of weeks erecting and dismantling scaffolding (a new skill learnt!) and sanding and painting fascias and soffits, and replacing guttering in between. Jim, my 'tutor', arranged the lorry load of scaffolding bits and when we started said, "safety's the most important thing." Me: "Have you got a hard hat?" Jim, "Oh, yea, you gotta have one. It's in the car, never bother to wear it though!" :roll: :roll: Amazingly I am still in one piece - but we haven't finished yet. 8-[

Anyway, I am very sensitive to dust, so sanding work on the lathe was a problem. To cut the story short I have ended up with a full-face respirator (with inbuilt battery pack) and a Microclene 1000 filter positioned above the lathe. The Microclene goes on before I start sanding, I wear the respirator whilst working, then leave the filter running for a further 20 mins. or so to clear all the fine dust which cannot be seen but is hanging in the air (a look at the filter afterwards shows just how much of it there was). Works for me with no more problems with irritation, sore throats, etc. I follow the same procedure if I have to use a scraper and when cutting 'dusty' woods (spalted beech can be one). Although I don't use one, a large cone accessory is available for the Microclene 1000 so that the full effect of the filter suction can be directed above your work on the lathe. I do have a chip/dust extractor but don't use it for lathe work.

The kit is not cheap for 'unproductive' equipment but I wouldn't be without it now. FWIW.

Cheers,

Trev.

Thanks for the info. Trev I have Full face mask (battery powered) and have found it an invaluable asset up until now whenever I'm in the workshop. I have been able to handle and dress all sorts of projects that have caused problems in the past with no ill effects, I guess I got to confident and finally found a wood (still not identified) that caused reaction on skin contact. (It even produces more of a dust rather than chippings in the thicknesser).

I have the option to extract directly outside the workshop and was thinking of doing this. Would not help the heating problem in the winter though, will research your solution in the mean time.

Back in business today:

ashbowl.jpg

Ash Bowl 170mm Dia.
PPpot.jpg

Little Potpourri. in spalted Beech.

This afternoons effort in "Tulip Wood": (200mm Dia.)
tulipwood1.jpg

Could be one of many species I suspect.

Chas
Tulip wood is a different animal... :p

Yours is Tulip tree (Liriodendron most likely tulipifera as the species L. chinense is much rarer.

JFTR dear old Norm and his fellow colonials call it Poplar :roll:

Whatever you call it it makes nice bowls, in the right hands :p :p :p

oldsoke":zgir9h27 said:
Chas
Tulip wood is a different animal... :p

Yours is Tulip tree (Liriodendron most likely tulipifera as the species L. chinense is much rarer.
...snip...

Thanks for the confirmation of wood species. Went for the look of the piece and had only the 'sticky label' to go on as to true type. Now I know where there are a couple of massive Tulip trees (Liriodendron, I shall view them in a different context next time I walk past.

Eighteen days down the road and these are todays efforts and I think that I am hooked on this turning lark.

Finally managed to get the bowl gouge under some sort of control but am afraid that I am still much happier using parting tools and scrapers when inside the subject.

zebrano.jpg

210 mm Diam. Zebrano Effort.
phbowl.jpg

230mm Diam. Purple Heart Dish

oldsoke":3bphvsyu said:
Yours is Tulip tree (Liriodendron most likely tulipifera as the species ...

JFTR dear old Norm and his fellow colonials call it Poplar :roll:...

Well, that's because the species Liriodendron tulipifera has always primarily been known as Poplar (sometimes white P. or yellow P.). It is a native of the US (primarily the eastern US and Canada). Some suppliers here do refer to it as Tulip Poplar, though it is not common.

Once introduced to the UK and Europe, it was sold primarily as Tulip tree, though there have been other names in the UK as well as here.

As it is a native North American tree, who is calling it by a proper name :roll:...

There are native UK/European species of the Populus spp. that are known as various Poplar trees, such as European black poplar, black Italian poplar, Robusta (UK only I believe), Finnish, French, Swedish and European Aspen, etc.

Liriodendron chinense is related to the US species and though not native it has/is cultivated here. But in the US it is mainly a small ornamental and has no lumber value due to its size as found in the US.

As an aside, Tulipwood (Dalbergia decipularis) also commonly known as Bois de Rose is quite a nice turning wood of the family of which Rosewood is part of. Nice markings, very smooth cut.

Hi Chas, you are doing some very nice looking work. And turning is addictive, isn't it?

A few years ago I bought my wife a mini lathe and she started turning--now she has a 16-42 lathe and nearly has as much wood as I do!

Her "collection" of tools both new and antique has grown quite a bit as well.

It's bad enough when one person in the family has a store of tools and all but covets fine wood, but two of us? :lol:

Hi Mike
As it is a native North American tree, who is calling it by a proper name ...

3 guesses :p ...no prize :lol: :D :p

3k + of water can do this to names... some don't travel well

soon be the 4th ...

MikeW":2oib2maa said:
Hi Chas, you are doing some very nice looking work. And turning is addictive, isn't it?
...snip...

Thanks Mike I am getting more pleasure out of it than I expected, I think it is the speed with wich you can go from looking at a piece of timber and then turn an idea/vision into a finished item that has a lot to do with it.

Although I have enjoyed all sorts of timber work from building construction to cabinet work I find that I do not now relish doing something that is going to take tens of hours to complete.

On the tools/equipment front I am desperately trying to limit myself to the basics but as you know there is always that little test that comes up that would be easier next time if I had ....

I thought hard about expending money on a lathe, what a slippery slope, Tools,... Powered Face mask, as much again.... Chuck!! nearly as much again.. Dust Extraction as much as two of the previous put together... need to produce to something before my pocket money gets reviewed. :lol:

Your welcome Chas--completely deserved on your part.

If borrowing someone's designs really are a sincere form of flattery, my wife has printed off a couple of yours to try in the future.

One reason I too like turning is for the ability to produce something relatively quickly.

Usually late at night I go out and chuck something in the lathe, whether it is a pen or a bowl I don't really care, and go at it. I find it completely relaxing.

The expenses do add up, though. As well as purchasing most of my wife's tools, my oldest and youngest sons have recently gotten into turning. Guess who got to get them outfitted? :wink:

But for all of us here, I think another attraction is the different woods and what they look like as the shavings peel off the tool.

We have an arborist that lives across the street who keeps my wife heavily supplied in burls and interesting pieces of wood. At least that's been inexpensive!

Take care and keep up the good work. This thread has been one of the most enjoyable ones on the forum for me, so thank you.

Excellent again, Chas. Thanks for showing us.

I patricularly like the zebrano - one of my favourite woods. You no doubt are already aware that the purpleheart will, unfortunately, lose its colour with exposure to light and the passage of time (not too long) and change to a brown colour. :cry:

You have certainly worked through a good variety of woods so far, and they are obviously of excellent quality. Any special supplier for your blanks?

Cheers,

Trev.

trevtheturner":1jfa4g9k said:
...snip... You no doubt are already aware that the purpleheart will, unfortunately, lose its colour with exposure to light and the passage of time (not too long) and change to a brown colour. :cry: .

Thanks Trev for the comments, yes I was aware of the colour loss unless specially treated (against UV?) but tried it just to get to know what it was like to work.

trevtheturner":1jfa4g9k said:
...You have certainly worked through a good variety of woods so far, and they are obviously of excellent quality. Any special supplier for your blanks?

Every thing up to the 'Pie Plate' such as spalted Beech, Yew and Laburnum were gifts from people who knew I was keen to learn or the scrap bin, everything else has come from "Yandles".

No knowing very much about what to look for in turning blanks we tried to find ones that were reasonably free of fissures etc. and within our budget.
As usual with any self select stock we found a good many that had obviously been around a while and rejected by others for blemishes or marked down because they had not moved. Now more aware of the ability of the wax sealer to hide small fissures etc. we will be a little wiser next time. BUT there were some there to DROOL over when I can pluck up the courage to tackle them. Don't know about the relative prices but have to go with what I can get to. Slowly collecting local wood and storing in an effort to reduce the source costs.

Good morning every one.
I am discovering this forum which is quite enriching.
I have been impressed by the works posted here and can’t believe it is performed by a beginner.
Compliments!
But I would love to try some of these Pork Pies and other mouth watering recipes.
:)

La Truciolara":2puip06f said:
... snip.. can’t believe it is performed by a beginner.
Compliments!
Thank you, neither can my immediate friends, or myself for that matter, trouble is I have to try and improve on the standard reached so far :)

La Truciolara":2puip06f said:
... But I would love to try some of these Pork Pies and other mouth watering recipes.
:)

Rather a long way for you to come and try them :( but we would only be to glad to introduce you to them if you ever make it into this part of the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back