One Small Step for....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alf":1udkrkf8 said:
Cool. 8) All it needs is a nice pasty sitting on it and it'd be perfect. :D

Cheers, Alf

Will a Large Welsh Pork Pie do? (They are nearer than Cornwall)
pie.jpg

Welsh pork pie??????

I thought they had to come from (or near) Melton Mowbray to be called pork pies

Tony":17wbzbwp said:
Welsh pork pie??????

I thought they had to come from (or near) Melton Mowbray to be called pork pies

Tony
If you tasted one of these, made in Abergavenny, so hot out of the oven that you have to wait for the gelatine to set; then you would know what a pork pie should taste like.
The only other source of locally made "food parcels" that I consider matches the quality and flavour is Castle Douglas near Dumfries.

(Sorry Alf but but I've only ever managed to find a pastie made for the tourist down your way, pointers?)

Whatever the wood is that the plate was turned from, (old chopping boards) I'm allergic to, despite a full air filtered face mask the dust got me elsewhere. (and I had such plans for the rest of the bits that I have glued up and prepared)

I have had this in the past, first time was in the 1960's when I nearly did not make the 8 mile drive home to Tewkesbury, having had some redwood machined in a Gloucester woodyard.

Well a Welsh pork pie is probably right up there with a Devon pasty as a culinary impossibility :wink: ; but it does look nice. =P~

Pasty sources? Generally avoid the Oggy Oggy/Granny's/Auntie's type of pasty shops and try the ones from whichever happens to be the local baker; they tend to be what the locals eat, so they'll be more "authentic". Queues of 5ft and under old ladies, all talking nineteen to the dozen, are always a good sign. :wink: Round here we like Rowes, and Hampsons in Hayle are good too. Whatever you do, don't confuse anything from Ginsters with a real pasty. :shock:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":1s7p0lsr said:
snip...Queues of 5ft and under old ladies, all talking nineteen to the dozen, are always a good sign. :wink: Round here we like Rowes, and Hampsons in Hayle are good too.

Our normal method of sussing out something worthwhile eating holds good then, Will note the names and place for future ref.

Alf":1s7p0lsr said:
Whatever you do, don't confuse anything from Ginsters with a real pasty. :shock:
Cheers, Alf

Wouldn't dare, with a wife that was a full time cook winning good food guide awards, besides I respect my stomach more than that.

Sorry for the time gap in posting, as a day in the workshop did not seem like a good idea :sick:, a day out ensued, for some reason the car made its way to Yandles :!: :!: by 11.45 & we have spent the rest of the day making our way home with more than a little retail therapy thrown in.

And................?

Nosey Noel

Alf,

Ivor Dewdney's pasties (sold in Plymouth) any good - or are they just Devon pasties?

In Hereford we have The Cornish Pasty shop with fresh supplies delivered daily, apparently, from Cornwall. Full of steak (lots of it, and proper steak, not just mince), onion and turnip and plenty of seasoning, they're pretty good. A little pricey (£2.80 for a 'large traditional' :shock: ) but they knock spots off the supermarket junk and the local bakers' concoctions, and provide a fair lunch on their own, as I understand pasties are s'posed to. Pal of mine in Plymouth, who wouldn't touch Dewdneys, once told me a pasty isn't a pasty 'less it's got turnip in it, m'dear!'

Chas,

I'm always up for a good pork pie. Best so far I bought in a greengrocers in Ludlow, Shropshire. :D Abergavenny is not far from me and we visit now and again - can you recall exactly where you get them from? Hot pastry and setting gel. sounds really appealing............. :)

Back on topic - like your turnings, excellent, keep it up! :wink:

Cheers,

Trev.

trevtheturner":zyb5zmlr said:
Chas,

I'm always up for a good pork pie. Best so far I bought in a greengrocers in Ludlow, Shropshire. :D Abergavenny is not far from me and we visit now and again - can you recall exactly where you get them from? Hot pastry and setting gel. sounds really appealing............. :)
...snip...
Trev.

Thanks for the comment Trev.

Now to the Important bit.
Abergavenny, Tuesday is main Market day so it's crowded but it is our justification for a day out.
Now how do I point you at the Butchers in question? Well browse the Market, indoors and out. Come back out into the main street (Mill st./Cross st.). Turn right and within 5 yards or so turn right down Market St. about 20 yds on the opposite side of the road to the market hall is Rawlings Butchers. Now this is not where you get the Pork Pies. But it is where you get Faggots to salivate about (still steaming and too hot to handle) & very good (all meat) sausages and a pretty good bit of black pudding. Now you come out of here with a couple of heavy plastic bags, retrace your steps to the corner of the 'High' street. Almost opposite you (slightly to the right) is another road (Pedestrianised, Flannel St?) with a Butcher (I think H J Edwards) near the corner with exellent meat and sausages but more importantly the Bakery Counter with the Freshly made Pork Pies and some not to shabby Fresh Sausage Rolls. At this point partner needs to lend a hand with the plastic bags.

Heh!! I'm supposed to be watching my weight can't keep this up......

Good Hunting.

Noel":3l81z317 said:
And................?
Nosey Noel

Sawdust Producer":3l81z317 said:
Yeah.....?
Go on then

Nothing much to get excited about on the wood front, managed to get out with just enough blanks to keep me going for a couple of wet days or so, LOML sorted them into Family Presents based on colour, markings, size & price. I just hauled a couple of boxes to the car.

Managed to justify a narrower round-nosed HSS scrapper to get in the smaller bits, and some additional bits for the Nova Chuck that went in the basket of turning trimmings that I was informed I would be needing.

(Bandsaw would not fit in basket ](*,) )

Nothing much then Chas :p :p

wish I'd trained my LOML as well as thee... :(

oldsoke":2abfab32 said:
Nothing much then Chas :p :p
wish I'd trained my LOML as well as thee... :(

I don't think it was me that did the training... after knowing each other for 47+ yrs I just accept that whoever it was it works.

Thanks for the directions, Chas.

Black pudding - mmmm. Fresh faggots - mmmmmm. Then the sausages and pies - mmmmmmm. :D :D LOML, although I've only had her for 42 years, is well trained too, so we'll take an empty car and I'll enlist her help to carry the goodies next time we venture to Abergavenny (only about 25 miles from us) on a Tuesday.

And now, methinks, must find a nice piece of wood to turn a new pie platter..................!

Cheers,

Trev.

Having had a "Ginster's" (only once) I wouldn't even confuse it with real food.

trevtheturner":3i3lqx34 said:
snip.... so we'll take an empty car and I'll enlist her help to carry the goodies next time we venture to Abergavenny (only about 25 miles from us) on a Tuesday.

...snip...Trev.

If it is a warm day then take a cool box and some ice packs with you. There is always a "Van" butcher in the lower outside market area and you could just be tempted into a half a Lamb or such like. Just depends on what he is shifting that day, had half a fresh English lamb for £11 last year. Obviously need to check whether meat has been frozen or not if intending to keep. If frozen then he will hold in Van for later collection if you think you can get it home, never had a 'bad' bit off him.

Thanks, Chas, useful info. I've seen the van before in the bit out the back, so know where to find him.

Reason for the half lamb being only 11 quid - bit difficult to sell English lamb in a Welsh market? :roll: :roll:

Cheers,

Trev.

trevtheturner":1qn2ojq5 said:
Pal of mine in Plymouth, who wouldn't touch Dewdneys, once told me a pasty isn't a pasty 'less it's got turnip in it, m'dear!'
A pal of yours in Plymouth eh? Yes, it would be. Not turnip. Never turnip. SWEDE. :roll: :lol:

Well we've probably veered off topic enough, but this thread moved me to take a picture of my lunch (one of Rowes), 'cos the roping's particularly fine. Unfortunately I was right out of wooden platters to put it on. :(

pasty.jpg

And now, after all this, I find myself craving Black Pudding. #-o It's all Hog's Pudding round here, and it's just not the same at all. :(

Cheers, Alf

Just goes to show that the Devonians, or at least one of 'em, don't know swede from turnip, or don't know anything about pasties at all really. I don't claim to, I just like a good 'un. The 'large traditionals' in Hereford look just the same as the one on your plate, Alf. It's getting to me now ............ next time I'm in town I'll find out who makes them.

:oops: Just to steer back on course - I still like the pics. of your turnings, Chas.

Cheers,

Trev.

trevtheturner":b4iau1vo said:
..snip..
:oops: Just to steer back on course - I still like the pics. of your turnings, Chas.

Cheers,

Trev.

Thanks again Trev for the support. no more turning for a couple of days I'm afraid until the anti-histamines kick in. I think I am coming to conclusion that a chip extractor dumping as much as possible of its output into an outside bin is going to be essential. Was planning to spend a couple of days this week in the Bournmouth, Poole, Axminster area and had thought that one might find its way into the boot whilst down there. Unfortunately the washing machine motor turned up its toes so have lost a couple of days sorting supply and awaiting delivery (makes an extractor look cheap though)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back