One Small Step for....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CHJ

Established Member
Reaction score
SpBeech.jpg

Not very elegant but I managed to get this one off the machine in one piece at last.

nice bit of spalted Chas... I can almost see your relief and satisfaction :p :p

Wots next?

oldsoke":352k644e said:
I can almost see your relief and satisfaction

Your not kidding, the difference in hardness between sound wood and the spalting made sure I sharpened the tools to keep it round. Frustrating to see a high percentage of figuring disappear though.

oldsoke":352k644e said:
Wots next?
Well besides the wood from the valleys form the other day which are awaiting practice/confidence, I acquired a couple of 4ft lengths of old Yew from a neighbor in the village this morning. (wished I'd taken the wheelbarrow by the time I'd climbed back up to my house) Need to get sawing and see if I can salvage something out of them in the next day or two.

Chas... yew....luvly... it has to be one of me favourites... so forgiving and beautiful... stays pretty stable once dried

Dis u see alf's link to a log sled for the bandsaw?

oldsoke":39q0n62t said:
Dis u see alf's link to a log sled for the bandsaw?

Yes thanks, the sled is no problem, the lack of a bandsaw is a little more restricting though. #-o

Nice one.Good finish is hard to achieve on spalted. Be careful with the yew if is dry, I've found it very brittle and breaks up very easily.

jaymar":2jf2c0fo said:
Nice one.Good finish is hard to achieve on spalted. Be careful with the yew if is dry, I've found it very brittle and breaks up very easily.

Thanks jaymar and others for the encouragement, trust me to do it the hard way, but I had to use what I had and I learnt a lot in the couple of hours it took me, the brittleness of very old yew had been noted on the one piece I have, just hoping I can get a section out between the critters homes and the splits.

Chas
it's the micro-cracks that you can't see that cause the most trouble... just be careful if u r in expension on the chuck... avoid heavy cuts and of course... digs (but you should be past them by now :p :p :p )

Light sweet cuts and it turns like butter... can u tell the difference :lol: )

oldsoke":1ubz8a0q said:
Chas
... just be careful if u r in expension on the chuck...)
I guess I will try and mount it in compression if in doubt.
oldsoke":1ubz8a0q said:
digs (but you should be past them by now )
I am still nervous enough to expect one any minute and keep looking at Keith Rowley's examples to make sure I am attempting to do it right.

Chas, that's magnificent. If that's what a beginner can achieve there's hope for me yet. Well done.

Rgds

Noel

oldsoke":3jul1am4 said:
Wots next? Revisited:

bowla.jpg

This mornings effort with the 20+ year old Yew from the village.

Not exactly thin walled or deeply hollowed (50mm) but this piece from near the end of the log has so many fissures in it I did not push my luck.

Only time will tell how stable it will be and whether the cracks will open, but it was good experience anyway.

As you say Graham a lovely wood to work with, first time I have created circumference + long turnings.

P.S. A Bandsaw is rapidly forming an image at the top of the wants list.

Noel":23uncsus said:
Chas, that's magnificent. If that's what a beginner can achieve there's hope for me yet. Well done.

Rgds

Noel

Thanks Noel
Trying hard to assess whether the forthcoming time and expense of upgrading the Wor----- "Garden Shed" is justified by my abilities.

Very nice indeed Chas. =D>

Nicely finished too - what did you use?

Don't worry too much about making the walls thin - the style of bowl you have turned there would look a bit odd with thin walls. It is very nicely proportioned as it is.

Yew is one of my favourite woods for turning, not only beacause it is so pleasant to turn, but it has a lovely warm colour when finished.

Regards

Gary

Taffy Turner":3ngwjlz6 said:
Very nice indeed Chas. =D>
Thanks Gary Although way down of the skills slope I am getting a lot of pleasure out of it.

Taffy Turner":3ngwjlz6 said:
Nicely finished too - what did you use?
Took the advice of Terry (of Chestnut fame) and am just sticking with cellulose sanding sealer and Woodwax22(clear) for now.

Simple to use, done in minutes, looks good enough.

Great stuff Chas... it has that 'want to touch quality', the simple design lets the wood speak for itself.

mmmm, next :?:

Very nice Chas,
I think the wall thickness is just right for the shape and you've finished well.

P.S. A Bandsaw is rapidly forming an image at the top of the wants list.
It might be at the top but the list gets long very quickly :p

cd

Nice work Chas,

I pickep up a load of Yew last night from a fellow in norther Ireland, so if you don't see any pictures early next week of yew turnings, i'll be sweeping up the shrapnel from around the workshop!

L

Les, where up here? Wood for turning is hard to get 'round my parts.

Noel

Noel,

I got it from Geoff Tulip north of Newry. He has a pile more if your interested.

In fact it turned out to be a bit of a mission, I hadn't realised how far up he was, and as a result set out after work and got home at midnight!

Anything he has he always posts on the following yahoo group:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/irelandwoodturners/

He has a small selection of bowl blanks, some monkey puzzle and the yew at the moment.

Les

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back