One Small Step for....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Trev
luvly lacewood bowl... quarter sawn grain shown to stunning effect with the contrast between the plainer grain.

Imitation being the most sincere form of flattery I'll be looking for some plane...

waterhead37":1iqq1jh5 said:
Chas,
Just another bowl? Heck it's a flying saucer!!

Neat trick isn't it. It is not stood on anything other than a bit of melamine faced board, I think the effect is something to do with the speed that it materialized through the window in a rush to get out of the weather, which today is not exactly conducive to an outdoor pic.

Chas,

Stock for platters: 1" thick is about the minimum I start with, although a little thicker is better for mounting the blank on a faceplate.

Graham,

Thanks for your kind comments. The blank came from Ockenden timber.
Now, who was it who goaded me into posting pics ............ :-k

Cheers,

Trev.

Got a little more adventurous with today’s production; The two spalted beech bowls came out of a single blank generously presented to me by TrevtheTurner last Thursday whilst his wife was entertaining TLOML and he was showing me around his large workshop and introduce me to a few more bits and pieces that stand a good chance of finding their way on to the wanted list.
Reluctant to waste all the central wood on just producing one bowl I decided to part off a ‘tyre’ from the large blank, perfectly round blank by the way, Trevor does a good job on the band saw, I then fitted a mahogany base to the tyre as a contrast and recovered the smaller blank as a bowl in itself.

spbeechp1.jpg

spbeechp2.jpg

spbeechp3.jpg

spbeechp4.jpg

The chalice shaped bowl is out of coloured sycamore which was turned up whilst waiting for the glue on the large bowl to set.
csbowl1.jpg

csbowl2.jpg

More inspirational stuff Chas... that's a luvly bit of spalted beech... I've a couple of 'tyres' that have been hanging around for several years... I knew they'd be useful one day!

just wondering how I can persuade the HoDT that rather than going to France for three weeks we should explore Herefordshire!!! (stand by to repel boarders Trev :p )

Almost by way of compensation I heard today of a super wood supplier in France that just happens to be within striking distance of where we're going... planks and planks of the good stuff :lol: ... one week to go 8)

Any info on cheap flights welcome... don't think there's going to be enough room for HoDT and the wood...

Chas,

Very nice, I think the tyre works well, the fact the gain matches across the two bowls is nice.

Have you made any shelves to stand all of these new bowls on?

Graham,

You have beaten me, what does HoDT stand for?

DaveL":1kl6hndq said:
...snip...Have you made any shelves to stand all of these new bowls on? ...snip...

Funny you should say that :) :whistle: the matter had cropped up in conversation, (soon after LOML talked to someone elses LOTL for some reason) can't exactly walk round to all the near neighbors with them like we do with the surplus strawberries and other soft fruit...... I don't know though could tell them not to bother returning the container this year I suppose. :lol:

Dave

Head of Domestic Trivia :lol: aka 'Erin (doors, that is)

CHJ
your pieces are really very nice.
Now that you have no problems with this shape you should may be try to make them slimmer… Give it a trial!
:)

La Truciolara":1eng8azx said:
CHJ
your pieces are really very nice.
Now that you have no problems with this shape you should may be try to make them slimmer… Give it a trial!
:)

Thank you for the compliment, I am slowly gaining technique both in turning and tool sharpening good enough to go for a slimmer wall thickness but have been awaiting a good set of calipers and wood stock that I felt confident with, if I can get hold of some more really dry wood like that used for the little sycamore chalice then I will give it a go.

Nearly coming up to a month since I first started turning and think it is about time to give you people a break from my over excited outporings.

Just thought I would finish off with my first item made to order, all be it from TLOML, first time I have been given a sketch of what was required as opposed to just seeing what developed as I worked:
lbbowl1.jpg

lbbowl2.jpg

From coloured Beech and obviously in two parts.

Chas
about time to give you people a break from my over excited outporings.

I've mixed feeling on this one... good that I won't miss anything whilst away :)

:cry: not so good for those of us who've enjoyed your work and marvelled at your quickly acquired prowess : :cry:
Your thread has certainly brought a little life into the woodturning part of the forum... well deserved thanks Mr 8)

oldsoke":1rqaqd6z said:
:cry: not so good for those of us who've enjoyed your work and marvelled at your quickly acquired prowess : :cry:
well deserved thanks Mr 8)

I will second that. 8)

CHJ":1t7t39ed said:
Nearly coming up to a month since I first started turning and think it is about time to give you people a break from my over excited outporings.

Chas,
FWIW I'm always pleased to check this thread and find your latest offering. It's nice to see someone so clearly enjoying there turning.

I only wish I could find the time you seem to have, you've made more this past month than I've managed this year :shock:

cd

cd":3uph9rx5 said:
..snip...
I only wish I could find the time you seem to have, you've made more this past month than I've managed this year :shock:
cd

Thanks guys for the comments :oops: :oops: ,

cd Output is only achieved because I try to allocate 2-3 hours each day if possible in the workshop, being retired, apart from, or because of, the fact that there are never enough hours in the day; I need to set myself achievement targets/tasks to meet else it is to easy just to vegetate; the fact that TLOML knows where I am when I am in the workshop has nothing to do with it :twisted: This new aspect of my hobby has lead to some more structured work periods in the garden etc. to ensure 'turning time' (in an endeavor to bring the cost per bowl down to double if not single figures as yet), and the meeting of a totally new set of contacts all of whom seem to have a refreshing outlook on life.

P.S. As a bit of self justification for this ego trip, I have hoped that anyone else thinking of 'having a go' at turning would be encouraged to try. If arm twisting was to be applied and your boredom has not set in then I may post a few more :wink: :wink:

CHJ":351pevdu said:
If arm twisting was to be applied and your boredom has not set in then I may post a few more :wink: :wink:

I think that I need to be careful not to twist it too far, don't want to affect your grip on those turning tools. :shock: :lol:

Chas, do me a favour and keep them coming. I haven't progressed beyond knobs and handles but always admire your work.

Rgds

Noel

CHJ":3rnivhe9 said:
Please don't!
The speed at which you are progressing makes me anxious to see what you are going to come up next.
Give a trial to boxes. It is a real fun when the lid makes a nice pop when you open it.
You could also try green turning. It is not difficult, green wood is cheep and easy to find, and you can go real thin (even transparent to make lamp shades).
Keep positing pics of your production. :)

La Truciolara":2v0e2z5k said:
Give a trial to boxes. It is a real fun when the lid makes a nice pop when you open it.

Well have had to do a few of the chores of late and more support work within the "Turning Shop" now that I am settling into a pattern of work that feels comfortable so things on the 'production front' are a little slower.

One of the items to make it to the finish line this morning though was in response to the above. Don't know whether its a Box or a Lidded Pot.
DSC00549.JPG

Sycamore and Mahogany.
DSC00551.JPG

The Lid does "Pop" when opened.
DSC00552.JPG

aha! Another GoodYear piece :wink:

Don't want u getting too near the holy grail Chas, so, howzabout a threaded lid on the next one :p
..unless trev gets there first :p :p :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back