One Small Step for....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
oldsoke":1j57mof3 said:
..snip..Don't want u getting too near the holy grail Chas, so, howzabout a threaded lid on the next one :p
..unless trev gets there first :p :p :wink:

I think Trevor has already been there, seem to remember seeing a selection of thread chasers in his workshop.
They are way down on my purchasing list at the moment and doing threads freehand is not my idea of fun. I do this to relax, had enough of finer detail work in the aircraft industry.

Best of the bunch so far today. (Beech)
DSC00558.JPG

DSC00559.JPG

DSC00560.JPG

Chas
I like the slight undercutting on the inside rim... the slight shadow created gives real definition 8)

MikeW":6qellr0y said:
And a lovely one at that!

Another thank you for posting.
Thanks & it's a pleasure, (big ego trip for me)
oldsoke":6qellr0y said:
Chas
I like the slight undercutting on the inside rim... the slight shadow created gives real definition 8)

A Keith Rowley influence to define the edge and the result of keeping my eyes open when browsing other peoples examples.

A few more for the collection.
DSC00583.JPG

Ash
DSC00577.JPG

DSC00576.JPG

DSC00581.JPG

Bubuinga
DSC00584.JPG

DSC00587.JPG

Alder & Mahogany
DSC00582.JPG

And the Pot grew a Knob.

DaveL":2n2hnrce said:
...snip...

The knob, I like, makes the pot more business like.
Yes, tried for simple look but it did not sit right so went more conventional.

DaveL":2n2hnrce said:
...Looks to me that the platters are getting thinner. :shock:
Yes, definitely needed to support rear face whilst working the Alder one. thought it was a right off, started moving before I had finished & ended up 8mm out of flat, 48 hours later it had returned to less than 1mm so finished it off with a base.

La Truciolara":n5kmqhm2 said:
...snip..The speed at which you are progressing makes me anxious to see what you are going to come up next.
Give a trial to boxes. ..snip..

June 15th and still going.

DSC00600.JPG

DSC00601.JPG

DSC00603.JPG

The insperation from: la-truciolara

scatola.jpg

A couple more for the collection: both as specific requests re: size & wood type by friends, at least I will not have to make shelf space for them.
DSC00605.JPG

Sycamore Platter.
DSC00611.JPG

DSC00612.JPG

Beech (repeat pattern but larger)

Another set of Bowls from a piece of Spalted Beech courtesy of Trevor (TrevtheTurner) it was so beautifully figured that I decided to utilise even more of the blank than I managed last time. It may not show in the pictures but this Beech which Trevor located has a beautiful Devon Cream veining running through and no sign of the "dirty grey" salt and pepper that often mars it.

DSC00614.JPG

DSC00615.JPG

DSC00616.JPG

One more for today despite the heat in the workshop. The most difficult to handle so far being not much harder than Balsa Wood with a desire to do nothing other than tear out in big chunks no matter how sharp the tools or how presented, handling the spalted beech was a good starter on this one though and resulted in a satisfactory finish. Would not use this soft a piece of Lime again as it marks even with a fingernail after finishing.
DSC00618.JPG

DSC00619.JPG

Spalted Lime (sapwood).

trevtheturner":21ng8rn3 said:
Nice result, Chas., to get so much from one blank. Very innovative! :)

Cheers,

Trev.
Thanks Trevor, just think how many you could get out of your stock pieces. :) :)

DaveL":1cq1ewmw said:
What Trev said, :D I love the follow of the grain between the set of bowls. 8)

Yes, It is also intriguing to see how the spalting tracks through the piece, does not always go in the direction expected, also came across a knot in the middle of this blank that only manifested itself in one bowl, the tree must have included the stump very quickly.

Three more from a single piece of Sycamore, largest bowl is 280mm dia X 95mm deep.
DSC00627.JPG

DSC00625.JPG

DSC00626.JPG

Another enjoyable day in the 'office'
DSC00637.JPG

DSC00639.JPG

170 MM dia. in Cherry.

DSC00631.JPG

DSC00632.JPG

DSC00633.JPG

310 MM dia. in Cherry.

Chas,

Very nice. :D Good grain in that cherry. :)

I love the bead on the edge of the rim sets it off nicely. 8)

DaveL":7ymxrq6b said:
Chas,

Very nice. :D Good grain in that cherry. :)

Yes I was lucky with my selection of a not too special looking offcut that I acquired from 'Interesting Timbers' I thought that the grain direction should come good but was not sure about the soundness of the wood until I cut the blanks from it, there were severe shakes on the end of the billet.

DaveL":7ymxrq6b said:
I love the bead on the edge of the rim sets it off nicely. 8)
I have been trying several such 'trims' out on the top and base of recent items, coming to the conclusion that simplest seems best, enhancing but not detracting from the wood itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back