Old Machines for a working heritage museum.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noel John

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone identify this Watkin layhe and provide information on its age and if any spare parts are available for it

Attachments

• IMG_5671.JPG
    IMG_5671.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5672.JPG
    IMG_5672.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5674.JPG
    IMG_5674.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
If its any help i had a Wadkin DNA 158 bandsaw with exactly that style of brass nameplate, they stopped making that model in 1926. You wont get specific spares, Generic bearings ect will be available at a cost, but are unlikely to be worn out, Wadkin built their machines to last several lifetimes.
If its for a working heritage museum will it have to comply with H&S regs? emergency stop should be easy enough to retrofit.

If its any help i had a Wadkin DNA 158 bandsaw with exactly that style of brass nameplate, they stopped making that model in 1926. You wont get specific spares, Generic bearings ect will be available at a cost, but are unlikely to be worn out, Wadkin built their machines to last several lifetimes.
If its for a working heritage museum will it have to comply with H&S regs? emergency stop should be easy enough to retrofit.
Thank you Keith. Mike"s reply was spot on it is the RS model.
Regards
Noel

Can anyone identify this Watkin layhe and provide information on its age and if any spare parts are available for it
It's an RS model pattern makers lathe - by the look of it, probably RS6
I have re built one of these a few years ago.
Bearings are easily sourced and it looks like all the "bits" are there.
If you are interested, I did post the rebuild of my RS6

Can anyone identify this Watkin layhe and provide information on its age...
As others have said, it's a Wadkin RS woodlathe. They came in 3 sizes: 6", 8" and 10" swing, and with or without the traveling tool rest.

Test 33767 was carried out at Wadkin's Green Lane Works, Leicester, in 1949.

For parts, you are best to keep an eye out on Ebay UK (for often horribly overpriced items) or arrange to have something cast and/or machined locally.

Cheers, Vann.

If its any help i had a Wadkin DNA 158 bandsaw with exactly that style of brass nameplate, they stopped making that model in 1926...
Ahh, I beg to differ.

They were still producing the DN/DNA bandsaw in 1935.

Wadkin changed their name from "Wadkin & Co." to "Wadkin Ltd." in 1935, and that style of nameplate was introduced in mid-1936.

Sorry.

Cheers, Vann.

Ahh, I beg to differ.

They were still producing the DN/DNA bandsaw in 1935.

Wadkin changed their name from "Wadkin & Co." to "Wadkin Ltd." in 1935, and that style of nameplate was introduced in mid-1936.

Sorry.

Cheers, Vann.
When i got the bandsaw in 1984 it was missing some bits, I wrote to Wadkin gave them details & they told me when it was built, Obviously they told me wrong!
Wish i still had it.

Wadkin DN bandsaw.....I want one.....hahaha.....
what other manufacturers of prof type bandsaws were made at the turn of the century....?

Back