Bosch Pro Table Saw GTS10 Motor Rebuild

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skeety

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was cutting some 18mm ply yesterday when the saw suddenly stopped and refused to restart. Looked at various things, ruled out anything fouling the blade etc.

Following a full strip down the cause if the issue is the rear bearing on the motor armature having destroyed itself (Welded together, small parts of bearing race about) Fortunately the metal doesn't seem to have caused any other damage.

I have identified the front bearing as a 6002LU which can be sourced easily.

Does anyone know what the rear bearing size is? I haven't removed it from the armature shaft as yet to confirm the internal measurement, getting the part number off the bearing is a no go as it's melted the seal and there isn't a part number on it.

From measuring I think it's it's possibly a 6200.

Can anyone confirm what the part number is for the bearing? The parts are available from Bosch; however i don't feel like paying £50+ for a pair of bearings that cost £4 each.

Cheers,

Jon.

Couple of pics of the bearing.

Attachments

• 20231105_114756.jpg
    20231105_114756.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231105_114747.jpg
    20231105_114747.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
That armature needs cleaning and ensure the segments are also good. Maybe worth replacing both bearings whilst it is stripped down and also how old is the machine ?

Don't overlook the type of seals, might be a double sealed bearing with rubber or metal seals.

Take a look at Repair Bosch GTS 10 Table saw

I had read that thread, exactly the same issue but no part numbers.

Heading back to the workshop to find the bits of bearing seal that may have the part number. It's definitely a metal sealed bearing.

Search google for 'Bosch GTS10 parts diagram'.

Exploded diagrams are freely available.

Please check that these ones are the correct exact model. If not, search on the Bosch model number (the equivalent of 3 601 L30 470 in the one below).

https://www.boschtoolservice.com/gb/en/boschprof/spareparts/table-saw-gts-10-xc-3601L30470https://www.powertoolspares.com/bosch/table-saw-gts-10-xc.m/3601l30470/spares
https://www.mtmc.co.uk/Bosch-GTS-10-XC-/-3601L30440-/-----240-Volt-Spare-Parts__p-161793.aspx
Once you find the correct OEM part number, use that number as a search term and somewhere you will find the standard bearing number.

Bearings are either open, metal shielded or rubber shielded. If you happen to need only one side shielded, you have to buy a double shielded one and remove the shield you do not need.

Last edited:
Thanks, I should have said I have done the official part lookup and searched the part numbers. They only come back to bosch parts.

That armature needs cleaning and ensure the segments are also good. Maybe worth replacing both bearings whilst it is stripped down and also how old is the machine ?
Thanks, will be doing that whilst it's all apart. Re-greasing gearboxes, cleaning lead screws etc. The machine is probably 15+ years old, it's not mine but only gets infrequent DIY use.

Hi,

I managed to find the part number of the destroyed bearing from it's cover that was in a pile of sawdust, melted rubber etc.

Both bearings are of the "C3" type, they are designed for high speed motor type usage and allow for more expansion than standard berarings.

The bearing details are as follows:

Rear Bearing - NSK 6200ZZC3 Metal Shielded Deep Groove Ball Bearing 10x30x9mm
Front Bearing - NSK 6002DDUC3 Rubber Sealed Deep Groove Ball Bearing 15x32x9mm

Very common, even standard, for the back bearing of a motor to be a C3 type. It helps cope with any axial misalignment in the housing from the main bearing which is usually larger and may or may not be a C3.

Nice to see the originals are NSK a very reputable main brand. Replace with NSK or other majors like SKF.

Rubber seals on the main bearing make sense as it will be most exposed to sawdust.
I wouldn't personally be worried about choosing either rubber or metal seals on the back bearing.

If you're planning to clean that commutator up with abrasive paper, then do ensure that you only use SANDpaper - many other abrasive materials are conductive and could cause shorts between adjacent segments.

as an add on.
replaced the washing machine bearings the other day.....
went to the suppliers.......
I could have a no name brand from Lithuania for 11 euros or a German SKF for 16.....
so went with the SKF.......
cleaning up after the job the SKF bearing box had made in BULGARIA on the box.....
Not worried about the description from the supplier but just goes to show that the big companies are importing bearing and using their own box.....

I remembered....... worth a read if ur interested......
26 tonnes of fake bearings are destroyed in Germany - Drives and Controls Magazine 2013

plus another
Schaeffler takes action against product piracy: Ten tons of counterfeit rolling bearings destroyed 2023.......

oh happy days....

Not sure on the OEM make as I couldn't see them.

The NSK's are the ones i decided on from the options. I could have bought much cheaper ones. Coming from a reputable supplier.

I was planning to clean the commutator with a fibreglass pencil?

as an add on.
replaced the washing machine bearings the other day.....
went to the suppliers.......
I could have a no name brand from Lithuania for 11 euros or a German SKF for 16.....
so went with the SKF.......
cleaning up after the job the SKF bearing box had made in BULGARIA on the box.....
Not worried about the description from the supplier but just goes to show that the big companies are importing bearing and using their own box.....

I remembered....... worth a read if ur interested......
26 tonnes of fake bearings are destroyed in Germany - Drives and Controls Magazine 2013

plus another
Schaeffler takes action against product piracy: Ten tons of counterfeit rolling bearings destroyed 2023.......

oh happy days....
SKF are closing their UK factory - moving to POLAND!

SKF are closing their UK factory
Is that the end of bearing manufacturing in the UK ? I still remember when the huge RHP factory in Chelmsford closed, it employed over 4000 people and in it's day one of the largest bearing manufacturers in europe. The open days were amazing and a real insight into engineering where they showed how they made one piece balls for the bearings whilst the japanese used two parts but now owned by NSK.

Hi all,

I was cutting some 18mm ply yesterday when the saw suddenly stopped and refused to restart. Looked at various things, ruled out anything fouling the blade etc.

Following a full strip down the cause if the issue is the rear bearing on the motor armature having destroyed itself (Welded together, small parts of bearing race about) Fortunately the metal doesn't seem to have caused any other damage.

I have identified the front bearing as a 6002LU which can be sourced easily.

Does anyone know what the rear bearing size is? I haven't removed it from the armature shaft as yet to confirm the internal measurement, getting the part number off the bearing is a no go as it's melted the seal and there isn't a part number on it.

From measuring I think it's it's possibly a 6200.

Can anyone confirm what the part number is for the bearing? The parts are available from Bosch; however i don't feel like paying £50+ for a pair of bearings that cost £4 each.

Cheers,

J

Is that the end of bearing manufacturing in the UK ? I still remember when the huge RHP factory in Chelmsford closed, it employed over 4000 people and in it's day one of the largest bearing manufacturers in europe. The open days were amazing and a real insight into engineering where they showed how they made one piece balls for the bearings whilst the japanese used two parts but now owned by NSK.
Timkin had a large factory at Daventry, also gone. Employees could buy bearings literally for a few pence, (to discourage pilfering) I had a pal working there who got me a front hub set for my old Saab 99, cost about £3 posted to me!

So I got the bearings pulled today, the manufacturer of the OEM are TPI of Taiwan. They seem to be a decent quality manufacturer.

Both bearings have now been removed, the new ones should be here tomorrow. Although the front bearing feels OK I'm changing it anyway.

Due to the amount of heatstaining and blueing of the rear bearing I was expecting the worst but it came off OK and the armature shift seems fine and not discoloured.

Attachments

• 20231106_151415.jpg
    20231106_151415.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231106_151426.jpg
    20231106_151426.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
not heard of anything bad from Taiwan.....well lately.....
they upped their game years ago.....

when in France I offered a bearing exchange service on the ride on mower blade towers.....
almost nobody would pay the extra for decent bearings.....
have to say those Chinese rubber sealed bearings lasted almost as long and at 25% cost of the better ones......why not.....
anything with electric motors always gets the best in my book....
bearing are a v/interesting subject.....yes I'm sad......

Back