• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to UK Workshop and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Sold Startrite TA 145 saw (Refurbished)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Distinterior

Established Member
Reaction score
This is another Startrite TA 145 240v table saw that I have brought back to life.
It's an early one from the early/ mid 60's I believe.( possibly earlier!)

It was completely stripped down to every nut & bolt and all relevant parts were cleaned and re blackened.

Its had new bearings fitted in the spindle and motor, 2 x new v belts, rewired and obviously fully repainted.

Cast Iron table & cast iron fence have been waxed for protection.
Scale is in inches.

There are a few surface blemishes in the top, but it doesn't affect it in use.

Any further questions, then please ask 👍

Price is £550.

Collection only due to weight, which is 90kg!

Tim.

20240202_091121.jpg
20240202_091140.jpg
20240202_091155.jpg
20240202_091218.jpg
20240202_091230.jpg
20240202_091250.jpg
20240202_091302.jpg
20240202_091337.jpg
20240202_091359.jpg
20240202_091446.jpg

Last edited:
Hello, where are you? Might be interested :)

I'm in North Essex, near Colchester.

I refurbished and sold a slightly later model of this saw in March last year and had three other Forum members who were interested at the time.
I offered first refusal to one of them on this next refurbished saw and am awaiting a reply from him to see if he is still interested.

Edit.
I do have 3 other Startrite saws in various stages of being rebuilt & refurbished.
They are, a very early TA 125 (which is identical to a 145,) another slightly later 145, and a 165 which has a different type of fence system on it and a larger cutting width capacity.

( You can see one of them partially in a couple of the photos above, which is the slightly later 145 saw....)

Last edited:
Hi Tim

What a magnificent restoration!! Looks absolutely tremendous.

Is it right that it’s only 90kg? If I had room I’d bite your hand off for this.

Cheers
Pete

Thanks for the comments Pete.👍

According to the original owners manual, the 145 saw weighs in at 90kg........not that I've weighed this one myself to check...😂

That just highlights how the machines we can buy today have been cost driven to the bone, that saw is a real solid looking workhorse and you have done a great job of restoration.

This saw is still available....👍

I have had a few messages asking for more information, so thought I would add that information here.

The saw blade will stop in about 4 to 5 seconds once the power is turned off.
The starter switch has NVR and adjustable overload protection.
It has a 1.25hp induction motor.
Blade dia is 235mm with a 5/8" bore.
Cast iron top is 635mm wide x 560mm deep.

Any other questions, please ask.

Tim.

weight, which is 90kg!

This is a compact, lightweight saw and the restoration looks really good.
So many get ruined by brush paint jobs and amateurs who can't be bothered to remove nameplates, scales etc and do proper preparation before spraying. There are a fair few hours in this and it's nice to see good work.
Heavy enough to be stable, light enough to move on a castor base and not much bigger footprint than any hobby or portable site saw.
👍

Thanks for the nice comments @Sideways and everyone else.

I suppose it is a bit of a labour of love, but also quite gratifying to have your work & effort appreciated.
Thanks again.👍

The saw is now Sold, subject to collection next weekend.

Tim.

This is another Startrite TA 145 240v table saw that I have brought back to life.
It's an early one from the early/ mid 60's I believe.( possibly earlier!)

It was completely stripped down to every nut & bolt and all relevant parts were cleaned and re blackened.

Its had new bearings fitted in the spindle and motor, 2 x new v belts, rewired and obviously fully repainted.

Cast Iron table & cast iron fence have been waxed for protection.
Scale is in inches.

There are a few surface blemishes in the top, but it doesn't affect it in use.

Any further questions, then please ask 👍

Price is £550.

Collection only due to weight, which is 90kg!

Tim.

View attachment 174960View attachment 174961View attachment 174962View attachment 174963View attachment 174964View attachment 174965View attachment 174966View attachment 174967View attachment 174968View attachment 174970
Lovely bit of kit,well done sur 👍👍👍

Hi Tim

A short update. I’ve had the saw three weeks now and have been using it pretty much every day.

It’s quite a small saw which fits in my 30M2 workshop easily and suits my work well. I use a track saw for sheet material and have easy access to a 14” Wadkin if I really need it.

You have done a superb job. It runs smoothly with almost no vibration and is comparatively quiet. The fence has some design limitations but is parallel with the blade and pretty solid for such a small saw. Nice flat table top. The tilting arbour is really smooth.

Dust extraction is a bit last century so I have made a temporary side panel with 100mm extraction port. That makes a huge difference and I will develop the design further over the next few weeks. I will also wire it into an NVR switch. Thank you for the saw blade which has been a useful start.

And the finish on the machine is outstanding - really clean and neat paintwork, decals and control handles. A lovely job.

Thank you for all your help, it was great to meet you, I hope you enjoyed your birthday!

Cheers
Andrew

Thanks for the feedback Andrew...👍It's much appreciated.
I'm glad you're pleased with the saw.

I'm making progress on the next TA145 that you saw when you came down and I've also been doing some welding today on the 165 saw case ( it had a load of holes drilled in it when it was converted from 240v single phase to 3 phase, but they are no longer needed now as I'm converting it back to single phase).

Let me know how you progress with the dust extraction adaption....👍👍

Thanks again.

Tim.

Back