Record Power TS2 Sliding Table Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The point is that you are talking about an implausible scenerio as a means of supporting your contrariness. I am left with the very strong impression that you have never used a dado head - because if you had you would have a greater understanding of its' strengths and weaknesses and also of the potential hazards surrounding its' use - instead nada, nothing constructive; you don't seem to have much understanding of handling large, heavy sheet materials, either - do you seriously think it feasible to man handle 250 oversize sheets of 75kg plywood across a saw?

This is borne out by the following comment:

Again, 250 sheets x 75kg, or a tad under 19 tonnes. Yes, I'm sure someone will want to man handle that. Not me, though. In the last two days I have measured, cut and fixed just over 1.5 tonnes of fire rated flooring. Granted no board was moved more than about 30 feet, and the boards were a mere 46kg each, but with even that small amount I was cream crackered - good job I had an easy afternoon today. And you think passing 19 tonnes over a saw is doable. What the blazes are you on?

Then you talk about taking two passes to make a wider cut. So, having used your FLT to load the sheet onto your saw, done the required test cuts to ensure that the trench is in the right place, you then push the first sheet across the saw making a 15.5mm trench (you can't use the sliding carraige for the full cut because it is too short and in any case doesn't have the 3.2metre/10ft stroke you need to make the full cut on it). Having made the first cut, you then lug the sheet off the saw and take it back to the front of the saw, where, before you finish the cut to full width you need to reset the rip fence to get that extra bit of width. Of course you then need to load the sheet again and make the 2nd cut, hoping to hell that the fence is now in the right place (because, of course, the fence rule is only graduated in 1mm increments and rip fences don't feature detents or fixed stops unless you have a digital rip fence). Then you have the problem of getting the rip fence back to its' start position. This again can be ever so slightly inaccurate (unless you have a digital rip fence, again) And if you know anything about housings, it should be obvious that as soon as you move the fence that accuracy goes out the window - housings need to be a snug fit, not too tight and never sloppy.

All I can say us don't give up the day job - but if you are in construction or manufacturing, maybe you should consider it

So instead of all this attempted point scoring, do you think you could manage a positive contribution to this discussion so we can get things back on track?

Wowser.

So instead of all this attempted point scoring, do you think you could manage a positive contribution to this discussion so we can get things back on track?
This is the funniest post I'd read on here yet.

NEVER going to happen :ROFLMAO: Tiddles is the reason the word Obstinate was invented. :ROFLMAO:

Personally I am waiting to see the Tik-Tok video where Tiddles attempts to bench press a 10 x 4ft x 1in thick sheet of plywood...

Last edited:
I'm thinking of getting this saw, But cannot find any reviews on the internet. Could you give an update on how your getting on with it and how it performs.

Thanks in advance

I'm thinking of getting this saw, But cannot find any reviews on the internet. Could you give an update on how your getting on with it and how it performs.

Thanks in advance

I was hoping that dust control was going to be better.
But I'm not sure what to compare it to.
I have a festool vac setup on the crown guard and a dedicated HVLP on the saw.
It's not bad - but I guess I was hoping it would be better 🤷‍♂️

Other than that - it's solid, accurate, safe to use. I did the pound coin balance trick on the cast table and run the saw - nothing, which to be honest I was expecting that. But good to see the heavy duty-ness working as expected.

It's a 4hp motor - nothing has slowed it down.
The scoring blade came perfectly setup from the factory and makes cutting ply etc a real treat - beautiful cut edges with no tear out.

I've made a Fritz & Franz jig - which makes cutting little pieces of timber really safe to do. Defo make one of those if you get this saw 😉

Do you have any questions in particular?

I was hoping that dust control was going to be better.
But I'm not sure what to compare it to.
I have a festool vac setup on the crown guard and a dedicated HVLP on the saw.
It's not bad - but I guess I was hoping it would be better 🤷‍♂️

Other than that - it's solid, accurate, safe to use. I did the pound coin balance trick on the cast table and run the saw - nothing, which to be honest I was expecting that. But good to see the heavy duty-ness working as expected.

It's a 4hp motor - nothing has slowed it down.
The scoring blade came perfectly setup from the factory and makes cutting ply etc a real treat - beautiful cut edges with no tear out.

I've made a Fritz & Franz jig - which makes cutting little pieces of timber really safe to do. Defo make one of those if you get this saw 😉

Do you have any questions in particular?

Thanks for the reply

How loud is the machine, ive got a makita site saw and that is extremly loud, was looking for something quieter and more accurate.

Was there much set up in involved and do you know what size the pallet it come on was as ive got to fit it down the side of my house to the workshop. Ive tried to find these things out but there doesn't seem to be any info in the internet. Some more pictures would be great as no where near me has one to look at.

Ashley

Any induction motor is going to be miles quieter than a universal motor of the type normally fitted to portable saws. The noisr from rhe blade will be much the same, however

One update since owning for a while now.

The hand wheel that tilts the blade moves on its own!!

It tilts the blade about 3-4 degrees. Never noticed it at first, and it balls'd up a few pieces of timber before I worked out what was going on?

I've contacted Record Power, and they've never heard of this problem before and gave me one place to tighten a screw to see if that helps. I haven't done that yet because it means jacking up the saw and moving it on casters so I can get into the access panel which is against my garage wall (sods law) - Which is an effort for me, but I will get around to trying that.

Until then, I stuck a bit of gaffer tape on it and that stops it spinning. I don't often tilt the blade.

I wonder if it's to do with me not having the saw on a perfectly flat surface (garage is a bit up and down)
Or maybe I have a lemon - dunno.

Would it stop me recommending the saw - no. It's still a beast and joy to use :)

It tilts the blade about 3-4 degrees. Never noticed it at first, and it balls'd up a few pieces of timber before I worked out what was going on?

I've contacted Record Power, and they've never heard of this problem before and gave me one place to tighten a screw to see if that helps. I haven't done that yet because it means jacking up the saw and moving it on casters so I can get into the access panel which is against my garage wall (sods law) - Which is an effort for me, but I will get around to trying that.

Until then, I stuck a bit of gaffer tape on it and that stops it spinning. I don't often tilt the blade.

I wonder if it's to do with me not having the saw on a perfectly flat surface (garage is a bit up and down)

Would it stop me recommending the saw - no. It's still a beast and joy to use :)
Thanks for the update,
Definitely looks the part and the size is perfect for my workshop and type of jobs I do!

Thanks for the update,
Definitely looks the part and the size is perfect for my workshop and type of jobs I do!
One thing I've done is not fitted the right hand side extension table and I cut the fences guide bar to suit.
So I can fit it in my single car garage width.

I have a spare bar so I can upgrade it should I move and the space to use it.

Lots of creative options with it if you think outside the box a bit 🤔

Hi Rob! Intrigued by how you're getting on with the saw? Ready to push the button on one for our workshop but still can't find anything about them online :-( Could I be a massive pain in the ass and ask if you have the footprint size for it? Can't seem to find that either! It's like a mysterious dream! Hoping it's as good as the 3 minute youtube video! Cheers, James

One thing I've done is not fitted the right hand side extension table and I cut the fences guide bar to suit.
So I can fit it in my single car garage width.

I have a spare bar so I can upgrade it should I move and the space to use it.

Lots of creative options with it if you think outside the box a bit 🤔
@Bristol_Rob thanks for writing about this saw. I’m considering one at the moment. Would you have any updates on how the saw is performing in terms of accuracy and rigidity in the trunnion. Is the rise and fall running smoothly or is there any sticking/binding/play etc? Thanks.

@Bristol_Rob thanks for writing about this saw. I’m considering one at the moment. Would you have any updates on how the saw is performing in terms of accuracy and rigidity in the trunnion. Is the rise and fall running smoothly or is there any sticking/binding/play etc? Thanks.
Good question: All good here with no issues to talk off from me.
I spoke with one person who found it wasn't industrial enough for him. He was using it commercially. I'm not.

It's true the saw has quality limits (every saw does) - but for me, you need to look at the price point of this saw and manage your expectations.

The same saw from Hammer was coming in at about £6k for the same spec. Is Hammer more industrial? Well I visited an owner and spent the afternoon hands on. He was very happy and was earning a living from his Hammer. In reflection - I made the right decision for me.

So my thoughts are about understanding your intended use/needs.
Consider availability and cost of spares and support. Commercially - timing of spares and support maybe crucial if you are earning a living with your saw.
I can afford to wait to spare parts. As mentioned above I ordered a spare fence bar. Which interestingly will come in handy in about 18 months time ;)

I do have one follow-up post on the issue I mentioned in this post:

There is indeed a lemon - ME!

Guess who didn't realise the tilting wheel came with a securing knob to prevent it slowly spinning out of level 🙄
To be fair to me - the manual doesn't show it in any pictures - but it writes it (once) in the small print in the back of the manual.

Photo shows the little black knob now screwed in and securing the wheel - looks obvious now I show you, or you've owned one before.
The yellow tape is still there from when I was monitoring the shifting wheel...

Attachments

• TS2.jpg
    TS2.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Is there any interest in hearing my thoughts and having a thread on Record Power's new TS2 sliding Table Saw 🤔

I've decided to get a slider and was looking at the Hammer K3 Winner
But once you add all the extras you want the cost was near 5 grand 😬

D&M Tools had a promotional offer going on their website for the Record Power TS2 which I believe is comparable. The only thing stated it doesn't do that the K3 does is accept a dado stack. With the K3 you have to pay extra for a special abor in prep from the factory, you can't add it later.
However, whilst Record Power firmly states their Saw doesn't accept a dado I'll have a look at that later. But I've bought it accepting that this won't be possible.

The saw retails for £3,673.99 + delivery charge Inc of vat.

I paid £3,300 with free delivery.
And did get D&M Tools last promo machine 👍

I wanted a strong solid slider with scoring blade (included) for ply.

I wanted the little rear extension table (included).

I wanted the glide extension arm and out rigger (included) with fast removal ability. As I will add as needed due to space issues.

I wanted the heavy duty mitre guage and stops (included)

I wanted a solid rip fence (included)

The table comes with a right hand extension table and the guide arm to suit.
I won't be using this and I'm going to cut the bar to suit and store that away. I'm going to buy another bar and store that away for future use/sellability.
Not expensive - circa £60
I'm OK for length, just tight on width.

Any questions, let me know and I'll do my best to answer them.

I believe this new TS2 was only realesed onto the market in April 2020 so there are no YouTube videos, and no one is talking about it.
So I've taken a leap of faith based on my experience of owning the Record Power 350 Sabre Bandsaw.

I'll be building over the weekend and the 16amp power cables come Monday so will make my first cut next week.

But it is worth noting that the cast iron top and the slider was factory fitted. I wasn't expecting that pleasant surprise 👍

So far so good.

The only thing that has surprised me is the weight 😬
Thankfully I have great neighbours as it took 3 of us to get it off the pallet 💪
How are you getting on with the this saw? I am thinking of getting one but like u my space is tight. Would u mind answering a few questions for me?

Latest posts

Back