Advice needed -Minimax C26 G-T combination machine

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cabinetman

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I’m looking to buy an SCM combination machine, the C30 G-T isn’t available here for 6 months but the slightly smaller 26 is, and its quite a bit cheaper. The main differences as far as I can see are the width of the planer 12” down to 10” , that doesn’t really bother me, both machines use Tersa cutters which are really good, BUT, the smaller machine uses only two cutters compared to three on the larger mc. Has anyone any experience of this set up? Will I find the finish acceptable?
All help gratefully received Ian

First thoughts are that more is better but it is probably not as simple as that like everything with machinery. More would require more power to drive, more could be harder to setup which is not an issue with the Tersa cutters so down to cutting speed. More blades could mean a slower feed rate is required which I think gives a better finish on some woods but someone like @MikeK or @Peter Sefton could give a better answer based on there experiences.

I don't have any experience of the SCM combination machines, last time I looked at buying a single phase SCM planer I thought it was underpowered for its size but well engineered. Usually as planer beds get narrower they also get shorter, something to consider if you need to plane longer timbers and need accuracy over that longer length. A larger cutter diameter will give a cleaner cut, a shallower scope and a higher peripheral speed, when surfacing you can adjust your feed rate, when thicknessing its normally pre determined. The smaller block, less cutters and smaller beds will all help to reduce the cost of the machine. If mild timbers are being machined the smaller 2 cutter block should be fine, if you are planing interlocked timbers then spiral cutter blocks really come into their own.

If possible go and see the machines in action, take some sample timbers to be planed or see if you can find a customer who has experience using the smaller machine, if you can save some money and get the finish you require thats great and go for it!

Cheers

Peter

@johnnyb @Spectric @Peter Sefton , thanks all, I shall check planer block diameter and speed and feed speed on the thicknesser. I would have loved to try - or even see one of these but they are rare over here (America) and the distances are huge, also haven’t found any stockist with a demonstrator. Will report back.
Thanks Ian

I don't visit here much, but decided to visit today for a quick browse. I don't have any experience with the SCM combination machines because they do not fit my shop layout or workflow. Instead, I have the SCM SC2C sliding saw in a fixed location and the SCM FS 30G P/T on wheels that can be moved around.

The FS 30G is the slightly smaller (and lighter) version of the FS 30C and was a better fit for my shop because the infeed and outfeed tables are shorter. When I bought the machine, I had the choice of three-blade Tersa cutter block or the Xylent spiral cutter block. Since the Tersa cutters are the configuration of choice in Germany, the Xylent cutter blocks are special order and have a six-month lead time. The Tersa configuration was in stock and delivered quickly.

I doubt I would be happy with a narrower P/T, as my latest projects used nearly the full width of the 300mm knives. Here is a photo of the latest purchase of kiln-dried American cherry, American walnut, and American maple slabs (about €950 from my local lumber yard). The cherry and walnut slabs are 65mm thick and the maple is 30mm thick. Most of the slabs were over three meters long, but they cut them to about two meters long so I could move them by myself.

Wood.jpg

This lumber will be edged trimmed on the SC2C (or the TS75), resawn into thinner slabs on the BS350S, and surface finished with the FS 30G to a final dimension of 18mm. I got tired of waiting on the price of 18mm A/A plywood to drop below €200 a sheet and will build the cabinets with solid wood. There is enough wood in my truck for at least two projects, and the cost was less than the current cost of plywood for one project.

I've read plenty of comments on other discussion boards about the large size of chips from straight P/T knives that can clog extraction ducting. Here is a photo from yesterday's milling operations on the cherry and maple using the Tersa knives. The steel rule is included for reference.

Cherry-1.png

Thanks Mike, nice looking timber, when I was dealing with large planks back in the UK I put them through my SCM FS 350 that had 3 Tersa knives, so not unused to them and those shavings look quite normal to me, the only time I ever had a blockage was the first time I used my 3 phase extractor and had the impeller going the wrong way lol. Simple to fix by switching the wires round.
But the question is, has anyone ever used a Tersa block designed for two blades only? And how did it manage?
Still haven’t checked the speeds etc.

Hi, I’m looking to buy an SCM combination machine, the C30 G-T isn’t available here for 6 months but the slightly smaller 26 is, and its quite a bit cheaper. The main differences as far as I can see are the width of the planer 12” down to 10” , that doesn’t really bother me, both machines use Tersa cutters which are really good, BUT, the smaller machine uses only two cutters compared to three on the larger mc. Has anyone any experience of this set up? Will I find the finish acceptable?
All help gratefully received Ian
I have a minimax 30 PT which I regret buying. It has 3 blades and finish is OK. However it has steel rollers which can leave quite deep indentations in the board you are planing unless you take quite a bit off the board and I have to clean the steel feed rollers constantly, even a few small chips stuck to the roller stops the board and results in a deep cut. I used a much smaller. And slower Scheppach before the minimax and the finish and ability to take off a much finer shaving was much better. You can adjust the tension on the feed rolller but it really is quite a lot of messing.

The thicknessing bed was also not parallel to the cutters and had to be adjusted.
Sounds like your machine is very faulty, possibly damaged, badly maintained, adjusted or set up. By a previous user?
Minimax are generally excellent

My last machine was a Startrite 310 with a 2 knife cutter block and the finish was perfectly acceptable. My new spiral hammer is better but still needs to be hand finished, so on that basis I think 2 knifes will be OK. Width is one of those things that whatever you buy you will always have a job wherre you wish it was wider. The number of boards over 10 inches that I plane is minimal. The biggest thing that you get with the extra width is that the machines are generally a lot more substantial, the beds are longer and there is more power available.
Combination machines are bit marmite love em or hate em

Thanks @Hornbeam that’s good to hear, so just ordinary straight cutters on the Startrite. Yes Marmite and would have been a pain probably when I was working but this is just me pottering in my retirement, I feel sure it will suit me just fine.
Ian

Machine purchased new
Well that’s a Very different experience to mine, as @Jacob said there must have been something very wrong with that machine. I certainly would have been kicking off. The finish from the 3 Tersa blades on my one left a superb finish which most people would consider good enough for a coat of finish.
Ian

Machine purchased new
Badly adjusted then, somehow.
I can get marks from the roller on soft wood if the depth of cut is about zero. Other than that no problem.
You can get a situation where shavings get lodged under the bearing housings of the rollers as they are spring loaded and lift up for a deeper cut, leaving a little open gap at the bottom where dust can get packed in, stopping the rollers from coming right down. This can worsen very gradually. Worth having a look - mirror and torch might help.

Latest posts

Back