SCM MiniMax C26 Genius combination machine - opinions?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlowry_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm looking for a decent quality combi with a smallish footprint, and like the look of the SCM MiniMax C26 Genius, reviewed here http://www.scmgroup.fr/media/files/1399_c_30_genius_test_furniture_and_cabinetmaking_195.pdf (correction, this is a review of the C30, slightly bigger machine, but similar characteristics)

My other choice would be the Robland HX260, but it has a larger footprint. Anyone have experience of the SCM? I'm based in France, and these seem to be the most popular combis in the 4 - 5k price range over here. I have experience of using the Robland during a 9-month internship, and find it to be a very good machine - its just a bit big for my workshop! The only reservation I have with the SCM is the lever adjustment for the planer table height. The Robland has a ratchet-screw mechanism which permits very fine adjustment with a knob, but I'm not sure if a lever mechanism gaves the same degree of control, having no experience of it. Any views?

Regards
Drew

Robland seem to get a bad press but I've no hands on experience.
Mine's a Minimax lab 300 which is a very good machine IMHO. Solid*, precise but no frills such as micro adjustment, which is no problem at all - old fashioned micro-adjustment by trial and error, nudging and tapping, works just fine. There is a scale on the table adjuster but it doesn't mean anything - just up and down really, which is fine for over the top planing. The thicknesser scale works properly and is more useful
If there's a long sliding table option go for it, they are very useful.

PS * better "build" quality than Robland I believe, I'd expect the Minimax to be superior to the Robland equivalent.

if you are short on space, have you thought about a planer thicknesser combo, and a table saw/spindle combo. That wy, at least half of the machine can be pushed to one side when not in use, rather than the whole thing having to be in the middle of the space. This is not my thinking- it was suggested tome or somebody else when asking about machines on a thread. Certainly read it somewhere, anyway.!

Jacob":3511n2mb said:
PS * better "build" quality than Robland I believe, I'd expect the Minimax to be superior to the Robland equivalent.
I've found similar comments on French woodworker forums comparing the two brands. Having said that, I had no real issues with build quality or performance on the Robland machines I used (it was actually a saw/moulder combi and separate planer/thicknesser). If the SCM is built to a similar or better level I'd be happy with that.

Back