Old job I'd forgotten about...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I certainly think you have the making skils to go self employed Adam and working for someone else i am sure you have the experience and speed that is required to be successfull.

There are no easy answers to how to get work but word of mouth and building up a reputation for quality at a fair price is probably the best way forward along with a decent web presence and being able to work to deadlines. You can talk to kitchen designers and depending upon how you get on with your current employers maybe poach a few clients or contacts. :wink:

You just then have to set up your new workshop invest a small fortune in machinery and have the self belief to make it work as it will be bloody hard for the first few years. Try to keep your overheads low to start with and try to invest with money you have earned from the business rather than borrowing it.

good luck mate

Cheers

Jon

Without any doubt you have the ability on the woodworking side of things.

Keep photos of the jobs you've done (as I am sure you are doing anyway, given this thread). They will all be your jobs in time.

Cosy up to all the designers/developers etc you meet - get a business card or whatever off them, you'll be wanting to call them. If you don't meet the designer/client, try and find out as much about them as you can and record it all somewhere with a link to the work - so when the time comes you can call them up and tell them you were the person who actually made the piece and you are now available to do so at better rates.

RILEY":3dvtvpt4 said:
On a side note, as some of you may be aware, I long to go self employed.
I have a few obstacles in the way at the moment (not least financially).
However, do you guys think I stand a chance if I pursue the kitchen route?
I have no desire to make huge money, so small to medium kitchens and built in furniture (a la Brad) are what I'm looking at.

Do you have any sort of workshop at home?

If so, my suggestion for getting started would be to offer kitchens for which you buy in the carcases and either make the doors or buy those in too. At the small-medium end of the market you will not have to offer face frame kitchens or anything else that requires a big workshop and expensive machinery. The ability to 'tweak' bought-in wooden doors and to make really nice end panels is invaluable, however.

If you can sell just one kitchen a month like this you will no doubt be able to earn more than you are making at the moment. Two a month and you're flying!

How to attract business? A website is the first essential. You could do this now, while you are still in full-time employment - just keep your name secret for now so that your boss won't find out!

A large proportion of new kitchens are part of an extension or remodelling. Get to know other tradesmen and contractors - do a good job and you will find that you get recommends through the trade. I'm sure that you know a lot of the right kind of guys already.

I have got 4 kitchen jobs lined up currently which have all come via one joiner who I met on an installation last year. In turn I have put work his way - only yesterday we went together to quote for a kitchen which requires a lot of remodelling work; we ended up talking the client into a full extension!

Once you are earning good money this way you could look towards setting up a proper workshop and investing in some serious kit. I would urge you to approach it in this order though, rather than fall into the trap of borrowing a load of money to set up shop and then wonder where the work is going to come from.

Cheers
Brad

Hi Adam

Good to hear you're thinking of going alone.

Website photo's - tricky one. You could say something along the lines of "here's some photo's of installations i've done". You're not saying they are your kitchens. You just need to be creative with your words until such time as you've got enough of your own to update the website.

I wouldn't mention being employed. Just give a longer lead time on production, allowing for the fact that you only have two days in which to work. Would it be possible to go onto a shorter working week in your full time job, thereby giving you more time to work on your own stuff?

Charging is something which will come in time. I massively undercharged for a number of projects back in the early days. But i've now got a pretty good grasp on how long projects will take, and just use a daily charge out rate.

Cheers

Karl

wow nice work, did you say you constructed and fitted or only fitted the kitchen. It's a mammoth job either way. I actually like the layout of it, its different. In the past when using pippy oak we have only used it for panels and cornice with normal oak on the frames. I think it may be a bit of pippy over kill. We used to get asked to use those handles a lot as they were very similar to the Miele appliances. Its true they can make or break a job but its personal preference, and one hell of a decision to make, considering the amount of fixing holes you have to put in your nice new kitchen. Only thing i would say i don't really get is the fluted columns but i've never really been a fan of them. I adore the shape of the island top. nice work

Quite a few people will be very interested in the fact that you can only do evenings and weekends - after all, they're at work during the day.
If you marketed yourself as something along the lines of "client visits/installation carried out in evenings and weekends so minimal disruption to the clients work routines" I think you'll find many people will be interested in that aspect.
I'm sure it's nice to get a new kitchen etc, but it must be a pita having to use up holiday time whilst it's being installed.

Hi Adam,

What you get out of anything is dependant upon what you put into it.
You are no numpty, so I am not telling you anything you don't already know. I'd say if you can get financial backing, you'd make a go of it, because you clearly have the ability and you'll be doing something you love doing, for a living.

The last person I gave similar advice to, is now a millionaire with his own little fleet of 'charter yachts' in the Caribbean.

Regards
John :D

Alan Jones":2d8btb2z said:
Well in that case youll agree that choosing a different handle if you were to order that kitchen would not involve filling holes .
Oh FFS man, he's talking about if you had these handles and wanted to change them afterwards, read the posts properly before you go off on one.

You really are taking this too personally! :roll:

Who cares :roll: its some one elses Kitchen so in the greater scheme of things no big deal ,why look for problems that dont exist. My advice to anyone else who doesnt like the handles is dont choose them when you get your next kitchen :wink:

Back