Latest Wall Panelling job

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug71

Established Member
Reaction score
A wall panelling job I just finished, it's to create a 'snug' area in a kitchen. There are still some picture lights etc to go up and radiator to fit but that's not my department.

Sorry photos are not great, I didn't realise how hard it is to photograph dark coloured rooms!

green panel 1.jpg

green panel 2.jpg

green panel 3.jpg

green panel 4.jpg

Posh pipe casing, this and other bits are easily removeable for pipe access, stop tap behind the little door at the bottom.

green panel 5.jpg

Wasn't sure how to finish the coving but think this return worked well.

green panel 6.jpg

Vents for a small radiator under the seating.

green panel 7.jpg

I think it turned out rather well :)

A wall panelling job I just finished, it's to create a 'snug' area in a kitchen. There are still some picture lights etc to go up and radiator to fit but that's not my department.

Sorry photos are not great, I didn't realise how hard it is to photograph dark coloured rooms!

View attachment 178602

View attachment 178603

View attachment 178604

View attachment 178605

Posh pipe casing, this and other bits are easily removeable for pipe access, stop tap behind the little door at the bottom.

View attachment 178606

View attachment 178607

View attachment 178608

Looks great. The dogs are a great bit of room dressing worthy of Country Life.

Very nice work. What are the strips in the baseboards. Almost look like LEDs. Are you using MDF since it is all going to be painted? My wife wants a downstairs bedroom painted a black called Wrought Iron and I added some MDF over the drywall on a couple walls to simulate Arts and Craft style panels. I'm not looking forward to painting it all. 😉

Pete

@paulrbarnard the nearest dog in the photo is a Ridgeback, it's only young and has at least doubled in size while I have been working there, I can't believe how fast it has grown!

@Ollie78 the paint is Little Greene, it looks great but not sure how good it is, the seat got scratched and when they tried to touch it up the patch was really obvious. They are talking about using Benjamin Moore paint on some cabinets I'm currently making, don't know if that's any good?

@Inspector the strips you can see are vents, I think they will be getting swapped or painted. We used some lovely antique style vents in another room but they cost about £45 each, they didn't fancy spending £360 just on vents so they got these cheaper ones and unfortunately it shows.

@Cabinetman yes there is quite a bit of MDF, all the mouldings are Tulipwood and the seat is mainly Maple. The customer is not a fan of Tulipwood, he thinks it's too soft and lightweight hence Maple for the seat.

@Doug71 Thanks, I am always looking for a better paint. Someone has recommended Benjamin Moore to me before as well, yet to try it.

I think it turned out rather well
That is being very modest, it really looks a million dollars and great work. As for paint little green and F&B seem to be struggling in the days of water based unless they have stood still whilst others have caught up and in some cases bettered them, you are also paying for the name. Have you ever tried Johnstones, I went through several brands which I had used but felt they were not as good as they were, tried Valspar but not impressed but there garden range is brilliant and another guy said try Johnstones Acrylic and you will find it covers well, plus they can match any color. I have used it a fair bit since and it is hard wearing but if painting when the weather is warmer then I did find I needed to add Floetrol to keep the edge whilst painting.

Looks great Doug. Little Greene have nice colours but the paint is so so. I use Tikkurila Helmi for anything like this.

Doug, very nice. Try to dissuade them from using Benjamin Moore. Pricey and not better than LG. As Jake says Tikkurila is good but can be hard to get (it is for me). I really rate Mylands, especially the marble matt versions which have a big range of colours, go on very well (never needs more than two coats) and is very hard wearing. Similar price to LG. I buy it direct from Mylands, it comes within 48 hours and is very well packed. They do a bit of trade discount (whereas Brewers will not discount it on trade account).

Hard to stop any paint flashing.
The more vinyl or acrylic it has, the worse it will be, especially dark colours.

Johnsons acrylic is good but LG do a true matt, hence why they have that look.

What MDF did you use?

What MDF did you use?

It was Moisture Resistant MDF, I couldn't tell you the brand as it was done in stages and Arnold Lavers seemed to send a different brand each time. Before it was painted it looked like patchwork as it was all different shades of green and brown.

@Jake @AJB Temple thank you for the paint recommendations, are you spraying the Tikkurila or brush and roller? Reading reviews gives the impression it's great for spraying but a bit loose for brush and roller?

Outstanding work lovely to see thanks for showing. I haven't heard of Floetrol, I have some cabinet drawers coming up for painting will give it a try, I hate the chasing an edge dance.

Nice job. Did you use profile and scribe machining for the panels or just apply them with slips. ? Is it all MRMDF ?

I usually microfibre roller and tip off, but have sprayed it. The difference is marginal in finish which is why I would rarely bother with a gun unless it's a big single area.

Proper painters may be more discriminating than me, but I have never had the slightest issue with rolling and brushing it. You can't stir it around, it's roll on tip off or if brushing then 2 or 3 strokes max, but that's much the same for all water-based IME.

It was Moisture Resistant MDF, I couldn't tell you the brand as it was done in stages and Arnold Lavers seemed to send a different brand each time. Before it was painted it looked like patchwork as it was all different shades of green and brown.
If you ever need an assistant!

If you can, try buying Hidrofugo MDF.
Paints like a dream, stable as anything , cuts and leaves a beautiful edge and only slightly more in price, compared to the usual trade stuff.
Night and day difference.

View attachment 178602

View attachment 178603

View attachment 178604

View attachment 178605

View attachment 178606

View attachment 178607

View attachment 178608

Great job! Love the dogs also!

Back