Dining Room Wall Panelling WIP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice looking job Doug. Just finished a very similar cladding job and had to run a moulded bead around the inner edges as you have, but am lucky enough to have a Morso guillotine which as you probably know cuts both mitres in one go. Thought about using my Kapex but a lot easier with the Morso.
The only problem with the Morso is, it's bloody heavy to lift about even though it's on wheels.

Mark.

I'm hoping the MDF should do the job for many years, using it is not a decision I took lightly because if it all goes wrong it's obviously a big problem.

Pretty much what @porker has said above is how it has been done. There will be vents in the skirting at the bottom and the coving is going to stop short of the ceiling so hopefully the cavity should have enough ventilation.

The old walls all seem dry and before we started I taped some patches of visqueen to the walls for a few days as a test and no damp appeared behind them.

Quick update as working on this job today. Most of the panelling is finished ( no photos :rolleyes: ) and I am on with a couple of alcove cupboards for the room.

All you MDF haters will be happy to know I'm finally using some proper wood, a stack of Walnut for the shelves.

Walnut.jpg

The frames and doors are Accoya, never used this internally before but they are quite tall, slim doors and the customer was worried they might warp so he suggested Accoya, who am I to argue.

single door.jpg

double doors.jpg

Will post some more when the cupboards go in next week.

A few more pics

Thought this looked like I was getting in to the undertaker business, could be a nice little sideline 🤔

coffin 2.jpg

It's ages since I last used architrave plinth blocks, they are made of some bits of Parana pine I had kicking around, I haven't used that stuff for years either!

plinth blocks.jpg

Cabinets in and mock up of panelling around fireplace for the customer to see

mock up.jpg

Practically finished this room (at last) and painter starts this week so should be okay for Christmas dinner!

I will get some more photos once it's all painted but for now here is the fire surround I just made, not my design just copied from a photo of one the customer liked. The inside cheeks of it are cement board so nothing combustible within the critical areas as in the stove manufactures instructions. This is one of those things that is dead easy to make but will look a million dollars once painted.

fire surround 1.jpg

Hi looks great I am planning to build a dividing stud wall and was going to clad in MDF then panel. Would this be okay what thickness MDF would you recommend? Also what paint and primer for the MDF to get a similar finish to this ?

Absolutely cracking looking job that. Out of interest how did you achieve the detail below the mantle shelf? Also any idea how the paint was applied? I’m guessing roller? It looks so impressive.

Hi looks great I am planning to build a dividing stud wall and was going to clad in MDF then panel. Would this be okay what thickness MDF would you recommend? Also what paint and primer for the MDF to get a similar finish to this ?

This was all done in 15mm MDF, I always think 12mm seems a bit thin and 18mm a bit over the top so 15mm is just right!

All I know about the paint is that it was from Little Greene, I guess it would be their oil eggshell as the painter who did it was very old school.

Absolutely cracking looking job that. Out of interest how did you achieve the detail below the mantle shelf? Also any idea how the paint was applied? I’m guessing roller? It looks so impressive.

The mantle shelf was built up of different mouldings stacked on top of each other. The breakfront (is that the right word for it?) was just a piece of MDF pinned on the front with the bottom piece of moulding mitred around the top of it.

Regarding painting I remember the painter using a brush and roller, I think it was oil based paint which does tend to give a flatter/better finish than acrylic.

Latest posts

Back