Old job I'd forgotten about...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alan Jones":ico52mo7 said:
So are you saying they didnt see the design of the door until after the kitchen was manufactured :roll:

I don't get the point you are sarcastically trying to make, or what your problem is in understanding the difference between a standard kitchen and one made to a designer's design?

Well I love the Kitchen
And so does Mrs johnjin. Why? Because its different I imagine. The workmanship goes without saying as being superb. The design in my opinion is a personal thing. If thats what the owners like then good for them. They are not likely to see another one the same.

John

Jake the point I was making was that a kitchen is chosen by the style of the door ,this being the main component of a kitchen, whether it is bespoke or off the peg is irrelevant, the door is the major factor not the handles etc

Back to the workmanship in the Riley's Show and Tell, just got round to looking at it.

General consensus of this household is 'wish we could afford to employ someone with that ability and craftsmanship to come do a few mods to our place'
But for goodness sake don't recommend the developers, overall design is not to our liking and according to a person who has been known do a little food preparation over the last 50 yrs or so designed for a showroom rather than a place to work.

I wonder what is going to happen twelve months or so down the line when the enclosed large freestanding appliances have problems and they find 'that model/size/design' is no longer current'

Jake":1en4mqjg said:
Equally, I am hopeless at drawing, let alone painting, and none of the little artwork I own approaches the cost of either of these, but I can still recognise the first as being quality and the second as being trash.

wvm+auvers+van+gogh-eglise.jpg

Jack-Vettriano-The-Singing-Butler--medium-size--205025.jpg

There are others of his that are much better, those few that get splashed everywhere are, as so often happens, the more generic, crowd pleasers that are aimed at the mass market and people who lecture a forum full of woodworkers about how a kitchen is designed.

Aidan

Alan Jones":3m74mrse said:
Woodbloke its not like a b+q kitchen with preset handle holes, a kitchen like that would be fitted with your choice of handle
I have a Homebase oak kitchen and I had to drill and fit our handles of choice...nothing came pre-drilled.
I also used to work for a firm that made this sort of stuff so have been involved (albeit briefly) in making kitchens of this sort - Rob

Well in that case youll agree that choosing a different handle if you were to order that kitchen would not involve filling holes .

CHJ":3o7fn17g said:
I wonder what is going to happen twelve months or so down the line when the enclosed large freestanding appliances have problems and they find 'that model/size/design' is no longer current'

they'll probably just trash the kitchen and start over - one of my colleagues has a neighbour who has had 4 (bespoke hand made) kitchens in the last five years - believe it or not she changed the last one because she changed her crockery and it no longer matched :shock:

a startling number of people seem to have more money than sense when it comes to things like that

incidebntally another thing on swimbos long list of dislikes of that kitchen was that the units were surrounded but not hidden -" if you arent going to put doors in front of them, whats the point in framing round them"

Alan Jones":26j6wetp said:
Well in that case youll agree that choosing a different handle if you were to order that kitchen would not involve filling holes .
:?

If you started with a rod handle (2 mounting holes) and then changed your mind and switched to a simple knob handle (1 mounting hole) I think you would find that would involve filling a hole.

Or are you just being deliberately obtuse?

Cheers

Karl

big soft moose":1y12rqj8 said:
incidebntally another thing on swimbos long list of dislikes of that kitchen was that the units were surrounded but not hidden -" if you arent going to put doors in front of them, whats the point in framing round them"

Looks ridiculous doesn't it, must have really grated doing work with that quality of presentation and having the flow spoilt like that.

Alan Jones":2hftxjy7 said:
Woodbloke its not like a b+q kitchen with preset handle holes, a kitchen like that would be fitted with your choice of handle

the whole kitchen is bespoke tho - its not a case of someone ordering that kitchen off plan and then picking a handle to go with it, so the whole design worktop, doors, etc was presumably designed as a one off which makes it all the more strange that they chose such nasty handles.

On your other point , i cant show you my kitchen (well i could but i'm renting and its a non descript mfi job which i didnt fit) and Ive already said i couldnt begin to aspire to rileys standard of workmanship so showing a kitchen ive fitted would be equally pointless.

I can however show a kitchen that I prefer if that would make you happy-

4.jpg

Though i would stress that i had nothing to do with the design or fitting of this one - its just taken off the net.

Whilst we're on the subject of kitchens can someone explain to me why people want a belfast sink in a kitchen. I always thought (and still do) that they belong in a separate room and are used for cleaning football boots etc in. I'm sure I'm missing something but they (to my mind) look out of place in the majority of modern kitchens I've seen them in.

Very nice style of kitchen big soft moose, I always like to see butt hinges on inset doors ,they just look right , although you can understand the appeal of self closing hinges to the end user

TheTiddles":2z8fzi71 said:
There are others of his that are much better, those few that get splashed everywhere are, as so often happens, the more generic, crowd pleasers that are aimed at the mass market and people who lecture a forum full of woodworkers about how a kitchen is designed.

Maybe, the example was that painting, though, which is very cheesey indeed. The others I've seen are all the level of poster art though - very well crafted as they are. Quite an apt analogy actually - accidental as it was. Great painter, rubbish artist.

As for lecturing if you are referring to me I didn't think I was, I was just arguing with someone who thinks to have a view on something's tastefulness you have to own something better.

Jake no offence intended can we now agree to differ, however wouldn't the forum be less enjoyable if every one had the same viewpoint all the time :lol:

I haven't taken any offence, it's just impossible to keep talking at cross-purposes.

Jake":1v65t5rk said:
TheTiddles":1v65t5rk said:

Maybe, the example was that painting, though, which is very cheesey indeed. The others I've seen are all the level of poster art though - very well crafted as they are. Quite an apt analogy actually - accidental as it was. Great painter, rubbish artist.

As for lecturing if you are referring to me I didn't think I was, I was just arguing with someone who thinks to have a view on something's tastefulness you have to own something better.

No mate, aimed at the muppet!

Aidan

Karl":2bpyjosf said:
Alan Jones":2bpyjosf said:
:?

If you started with a rod handle (2 mounting holes) and then changed your mind and switched to a simple knob handle (1 mounting hole) I think you would find that would involve filling a hole.

Or are you just being deliberately obtuse?

Cheers

Karl

:? :? ... I need some more malt...but I agree with Karl - Rob

I don't mind the handles that much per se - they don't do a great deal for me, but they would be unobjectionable on a modern slab door kitchen, and you might just about get away with them on a simple shaker door, but mixing them with the ornate (finely crafted, Riley!) stuff is beyond my comprehension. Maybe it's irony and my sense of humour is deficient.

Back