Old job I'd forgotten about...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eh!..............My house is lke that................"NOT" :lol: perhaps a bit of Burberry inlay on the doors........Chavtastic :wink:

Well I would be delighted to have that kitchen in my house, or better still have the house the kitchens in, but if the style gurus wish to show their better taste kitchens Im open to be convinced otherwise :roll:

This kitchen...
10119_144260641134_725006134_3120747_3158636_n.jpg

is more tastefull.

And maybe a little cheaper.

Aidan

I have to agree the design turned my stomach, but I was in awe of the craftsmanship. I've spent a good 10mins staring at the pics. Well done Riley, you'll go far my friend ;) 8)

How does the hole in the butchers block work? Is that going to a bin? Or a sink?

I wasn't going to say anything about the design in case I upset someone (not something I do regularly :whistle: :^o ) but the design is hideous :sick: :sick:
Although this sort of thing is entirely out of the maker's hands it would look far better without the fluted columns and crenulated architrave. It also looks far too fussy in that particular timber...the same design in maple without the poncy bits would be uber cool :wink: - Rob

Alan Jones":1ocivwrd said:
Well I would be delighted to have that kitchen in my house, or better still have the house the kitchens in, but if the style gurus wish to show their better taste kitchens Im open to be convinced otherwise :roll:

this is where the internet causes arguments. A lot of people on here don't like the design and have said that and only that. You do like the design but instead of saying 'lots of people don't like it but here's one vote for liking it', a phrase like '...If the style gurus wish to show.....' only starts turning the tone of the thread into a slanging match.

Lets just stick to people simply expressing their own opinions, like Alan I can see some parts I like, but for me outweighed by the parts I don't. But as for the craftsmanship I am in AWE :shock:

Anyone is entitled to an opinion, but to simply call something awful is a worthless opinion unless the detractor knows what they are talking about. All I suggested was that the critics show us something better, and the most genuine way to do this would be to show their own kitchen

woodbloke":330nk2dp said:
I wasn't going to say anything about the design in case I upset someone (not something I do regularly :whistle: :^o ) but the design is hideous :sick: :sick:
Although this sort of thing is entirely out of the maker's hands it would look far better without the fluted columns and crenulated architrave. It also looks far too fussy in that particular timber...the same design in maple without the poncy bits would be uber cool :wink: - Rob

I have a maple kitchen, they look great for a year until the yellowing starts.
I now put a faint white tint in all my lacquers on maple, as yellow maple is definately not uber cool.

Alan Jones":3vsz0hqw said:
Anyone is entitled to an opinion, but to simply call something awful is a worthless opinion unless the detractor knows what they are talking about. All I suggested was that the critics show us something better, and the most genuine way to do this would be to show their own kitchen

Alan, so to like something, you have to 'know about it'? Surely you either like it, or you don't? Clearly, you're outnumbered here, amongst fellow woodworkers. Perhaps in a room full of footballers wives.... :lol:

Doctor":pezblwgl said:
I have a maple kitchen, they look great for a year until the yellowing starts.
I now put a faint white tint in all my lacquers on maple, as yellow maple is definately not uber cool.
Doc - I think you're probably right on that one. If you put a white tint into the lacquer then, does it stay pristine permanently or just delay the yellowing effects? - Rob

Alan Jones":16ahkiwi said:

I just showed swimbo and her opinion was shall we say less than positive about the design. Im pointed out your post and she replied that she may know nothing about woodwork but you don't have to know how to build something to have some appreciation of what looks good or what you would be willing to give house room.

she also noted that the opinion (that the design is awful) isnt worthless if you can back it up with reasons why you dont like it - in this case the overpowering timber, the shade of the granite worksurfaces, and the shape of the curved units which, to her at least, speak of form over function.

Now I'm not knocking Rilleys work as i couldnt begin to fit that kitchen and as tiddles said the execution is flawless - I am only knocking the design which presumably he didnt have that much control over being a client/blonde decision.

Likewise I don't like the design. Nothing I can put my finger on though - it just looks too fussy for my liking. As with everything design is a very personal thing - what one person likes another will hate.
SWMBO looked at it and all she actually said was 'I hate those handles' - I hadn't even really noticed them.
You certainly can't fault the skill that it must have taken to build and install it.

Latest posts

Back