Not quite JK.....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbloke

Established Member
Reaction score
After recent threads about high angle planes I thought I would have a go at making a Krenovian woodie with a blade pitched at 55 deg, no particular reason for that. I have a copy of JK's book which gives very good, detailed information on construction of this type of plane. I followed the text quite carefully and the pics illustrate the making process and final plane.

jk002.jpg

The main body is made from maple and all bits are dowelled together for location purposes. The pin can be seen which is turned and shaped from an oddment of oak.

jk001.jpg

This shot shows the sides in place; the very observant will notice that it took 3 shots to get the pin in the right place!

jk006.jpg

After the glue up I used the Air Press to veneer some rosewood onto each side to cover up all the dowels and the goofs in locating the pin. It was then roughly shaped and the ends smoothed on the disc sander. I worked a chamfer onto the top edge with the router. The wedge was made out of some rosewood and fettled in to make a decent fit between the blade and pin - tricky

jk005.jpg

The blade is a 50mm cutter from an old wooden coffin smoother, though its the breaker iron which has had some additional attention - its been polished on the leather wheel of my Tormek and has a bevel worked on the upper side whilst the under side has been smoothed on a fine DMT stone

jk003.jpg

The mouth is gradually being widened here on my 'plane sole fettling jig' so that the result is:

jk008.jpg

The final result is shown in the next pic:

jk007.jpg

Finish is several coats of French polish and wax
Does it work - yes it does but is quite tricky to set up and seems to cut with a scraping, rather than a cutting action so it probably needs a little more careful tuning - Rob

Nice one, Rob!
How long is it? It looks good-and if it works then that is a result!!!!
So you gonna make another one?? :wink:
Philly :D

Philly - it does work but seems to cut with a scraping action, so may need a little more careful fettling - its about 165mm long so fairly small and chunky. May do another one later, depends on what's on my SWIMBO tuit list and we've all got one of those :lol: - Rob

Rob
It should cut like a redular pitched plane-maybe a little more effort to push but no huge difference. Make sure the iron is real sharp (and you're taking a fine shaving)
Cheers
Philly :D

The pin is a dry fit - a little candle wax on the spigots means that it will rotate slightly to fit the wedge when its tapped in.
Philly - it is harder to push and does remove a very thin shaving - it is very sharp - feels strange to use after using a plane with a 45 deg pitch - Rob

Nice plane Rob and with that cutting angle, I'm not surprised if feels more like a scraper at this point :wink: I'm sure a bit of fettling will get it working great and then you're ready for a visit to woodyard for some exotic (curly grained) woods

Latest posts

Back