Fixed caster wheels 100mm/4"

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chickpea

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm looking to purchase 2 fixed 100mm side mounted caster wheels like the one in the photo that I've uploaded.
They will attach to a tool stand. I want to tilt and wheel it around the workshop so the machine can be used in various places.
Could anyone kindly please point me to a link they might sell such items.

Regards

Richard

Attachments

• IMG_20240519_142501057.jpg
    IMG_20240519_142501057.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Mounting a fixed castor on its side would result in serious leverage that's liable pull it off the tool stand.

How so? Or exactly how and by how much would the leverage exceed that in the photo he shows? The shape of the mounting bracket is irrelevant.

The trouble with standard fixed castors is that the top plate is generally either bigger than or equal to the diameter of the wheel.

I had a look again and these have a 60mm top plate, so there would be clearance without modification. For the purposes of the calculation you are going to do for me, the eccentricity (lever arm) is 122 - 50 = 72mm.

https://www.rosscastors.co.uk/100mm-fixed-plastic-wheel-castor.html

How so? Or exactly how and by how much would the leverage exceed that in the photo he shows? The shape of the mounting bracket is irrelevant.
The shape of the bracket is the relevant consideration.
A standard castor, with mounting points equidistant on either side of the axle, has the load at 90 degrees off the vertical surface and importantly has the mounting points close together. The photo the OP referenced has a bracket that transfers the load at an angle to the vertical surface and has the mounting points spaced further apart. The angled, upper part of the bracket provides bracing when the stand is tilted onto the rear wheels.

Latest posts

Back