Not a new topic I know, Dial calipers.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david123

Established Member
Reaction score
I read on here a while back about somebody buying a 6" dial caliper from Proops Bros and how good they where I ordered a metric and imperial pair for £15 each and free postage from here
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

They arrived here today and I must say I am very impressed with them, rock solid and very accurate. I checked them against some calibrated discs I have and am very pleased with the outcome.

Thanks whoever you are.

I rather love my mitutoyos, but they get used considerable less than my 5 pound digital calipers that I really couldn't care less about.

nearly rights, what's not to love right? :)

now you've got dial set, keep an eye out for a cheap digital set, like tape measures having multiples is always an option (says me who has just bought a set of carbon calipers for 5 quid with the intention of drilling holes in them)

The digital ones are a nightmare! They drain the battery even when they're switched off. The only way around it is to take the battery out every time you use them.......in my experience. You may have a better make than mine.

I have had digital calipers for years (and still have one), but always fancied dial calipers. Glad I finally took the plunge,
And at that price iI am very happy.

I have a few sets MikeG and yes one always drains the battery, I take the easy option and pop the battery out as I clean them and stick them away. the other set is perfect without any issue.
I also purchased something like 100 cells for it from ebay for dirt cheap that I'm still working my way through. :)

MikeG.":2lxeuy1g said:
The digital ones are a nightmare! They drain the battery even when they're switched off.

You must have been naughty in a past life. I have had my Lidl digital calipers for about 6 years and they are used at least a couple of times a month. They still have the original battery.

Cheers david123
Just ordered dial calipers from Proops
The digital calipers from Lidl - had for 3 years still on original battery - got crushed under foot but still functions ok

whiskywill":fwbycee5 said:
MikeG.":fwbycee5 said:
The digital ones are a nightmare! They drain the battery even when they're switched off.

You must have been naughty in a past life. I have had my Lidl digital calipers for about 6 years and they are used at least a couple of times a month. They still have the original battery.

Mine ate batteries - I take out the battery every time I use them.

MikeG.":18nq0wfv said:
The digital ones are a nightmare! They drain the battery even when they're switched off. The only way around it is to take the battery out every time you use them.......in my experience. You may have a better make than mine.

My nhs hearing aid uses the same size battery
So it's not a problem :lol:

If you don't lock the slide on digital calipers they will drain the battery as they will switch on and off due to vibration.
I have a four year old set of Sylvac Micron Pros which are still on their original battery and are used everyday. Shop floor calipers tend to last for just over a year before batteries run out.

Gerry

No, that's not it Gerry, at least not with mine. I can leave it untouched in an unused workshop for a couple of weeks and a new battery will drain itself entirely. That's with everything locked up, and no-one even entering the room. Besides, there is an on-off switch, and moving the slide doesn't bring the calliper "on" without using the switch. It's a mystery to me what on earth is going on, but it renders the damn thing virtually useless.

MikeG.":2gom8gnl said:

Yeah I don't use my digital anymore. I use mainly vernier calipers. A used Mitutoyo is my favorite. would like a dial one too, but it's a luxury purchase so it's never happened yet.

I bought a completely plastic dial vernier for about a tenner 3 years ago. Its bullet proof. Used far more than a tape measure.
I had to use a bit of blue tack to stop the dial rotating. Thats been there two years, never moved a decimal place. cant think how i would cope without it.
I had three metal digital verniers of differing makes. They ALL ate batteries and rapidly got consigned to the "tools to sell at a car boot" pile

Back